Director of Executive Communications
Job Description Summary
The Director of Executive Communications is responsible for development and execution of an integrated executive communications strategy and program for BD’s CEO and senior leaders to advance BD’s reputation as a trusted, dynamic, innovative med tech leader across audiences. This role will partner closely with BD executives to help bring their voices to stakeholders through the development of both internal and external communications across a variety of platforms. This role will collaborate with the rest of the Corporate Communications and Social Investing team as well as senior leaders across business, function and regional teams to drive strategy development and tactical program execution. This role reports to the SVP, Chief Communications Officer and will be a member of BD’s Communications leadership team.
Primary Purpose of the Role
The Head of Executive Communications will be a seasoned, hands-on communications professional responsible for the development of the CEO’s platform and the company’s overall executive thought leadership program. This will entail regular interactions with the highest levels in the organization. The role requires a track record of developing trusted C-suite relationships and tangibly positioning executives and a company by delivering a cadence of external speaking engagements and internal events, writing compelling and clear positioning pieces (blogs, employee messages, presentation decks, speeches, talking points, etc.), and ensuring related message pull through in media and social channels.
- Develop and deliver BD’s executive communications strategy, including an integrated internal and external CEO communications plan with appropriate thought leadership opportunities and multi-channel activity. Ensure clear and defined objectives, channels, timelines and measures of success.
- Lead alignment of CEO messaging across all audiences and serve as primary communications point of contact and support for CEO’s external and internal communications. Build a strong relationship and understanding of the CEO’s style, voice, and preferences.
- Create an executive visibility approach that can be replicated to launch and grow other executives’ platforms; serve as center of excellence for executive positioning and ensure coordination with CEO’s program.
- Develop a variety of materials from inception to finished product, including keynote speeches, internal and external presentations, video scripts and talking points, briefing documents to prepare for events, Q&As, blogs, social media content and other business communications. Ensure appropriate cross-functional reviews.
- Research new topics and develop creative ways to share stories that resonate with different stakeholders, across different channels.
- Simplify and translate business objectives, company performance and transformation, management philosophy and industry trends into coherent stories and messages in an authentic voice of the CEO that resonates with specific audiences.
- Collaborate closely with the PR team, the social media team and others to map out meaningful engagements in support of BD’s growth and reputation goals.
- Oversee and communicate an overall executive communications calendar to ensure there is awareness around executive engagements across the organization.
- Own outbound pitching of executive speaking opportunities and vet inbound requests. Ensure a 360 plan around each engagement as appropriate to leverage media, social channels, internal communications and other vehicles as appropriate.
- Build strong relationships with colleagues across the enterprise; serve as a trusted advisor.
- Stay current on relevant industry, economic, and governmental topics and issues that should be reflected in or referenced in executive communications.
- Bachelor’s Degree required – preferably in Communication, Journalism, Marketing, Public Relations, Business or related field. Advanced degree is a plus.
- 10+ years of relevant communications experience with substantial experience working in executive communications and thought leadership in a publicly-traded health care company, highly regulated industry or major global brand.
- Proven ability to create and execute on an integrated communications strategy while working closely with a variety of disciplines in communications and across a matrixed company. This role requires external communications experience.
- Must possess exceptional written, oral and interpersonal communication skills in a corporate environment with strong multi-channel editorial capabilities.
- Executive presence and the highest levels of professionalism, discretion and confidentiality. Exceptional credibility, judgment, and diplomacy skills.
- A team player who is flexible and energized by working in a fast-paced dynamic environment.
- Willing to travel (domestically and/or internationally). Ability to attend in-person meetings in headquarters regularly and in other locations as the business requires.
- Writing samples will be requested.
Knowledge, skills & abilities
- Strategic and proactive thinker with ability to “see the big picture” and connect the dots across a matrixed organization to create thoughtful, coordinated communication plans.
- Confidence to influence without authority when advising on communication best practices and implementing communication strategies to support company initiatives and imperatives.
- Proven expertise in building and enhancing relationships directly with CEOs, and C-level executives.
- Ability to work at both the strategic and tactical levels - willing to roll up sleeves to get the job done.
- Capabilities to quickly identify trending topics and issues for executives to engage on (and which to avoid).
- Excellent customer service orientation, flexible attitude, adaptable to change, team player and able to manage competing priorities.
- Excellent organizational skills generated through critical attention to detail.
- Demonstrated experience developing impactful communications that increase awareness and simplify technical information in a way that provides clarity to various audiences.
- Passionate storyteller with experience across all mediums: multimedia, social, 1-1s, large group meetings, keynotes, presentations. media, virtual, etc.
- Powerful, clear writing style and voice, with excellent writing, editing and creative development skills.
- Able to influence “up and down” to achieve project objectives (i.e. soliciting and reconciling feedback from multiple sources)
- Strong ability to collaborate and capable of building consensus and strong working relationships within a highly matrixed organizational structure.
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task in shifting environments, take initiative and act independently, and produce high quality work under tight deadlines.
- Ability to maintain discretion and appropriately manage confidential information.
Primary Work LocationUSA NJ - Franklin Lakes
Recommendto a friend
"Purpose driven company where associates work every day to make healthcare better. A lot of great initiatives going on to make BD the best MedTech company in the world."
Anonymous, Franklin Lakes, NJ