Global Product Manager (Microbiology), Microbial Identification and Susceptibility Testing)
Job Description Summary
Be part of something bigger!
BD is one of the largest global medical technology companies in the world and is advancing the world of health by improving medical discovery, diagnostics and the delivery of care. We have over 65,000 employees and a presence in virtually every country around the world to address some of the most sophisticated global health issues.
BD has an exciting opportunity as a Global Product Manager – Microbiology – Identification and Susceptibility Testing (ID/AST) in Sparks, MD. BD is looking for a strong, dynamic product manager to drive growth in BD’s ID/AST franchise. We need someone who can deliver results with our current solutions portfolio and support the market development efforts for our future innovations. The Global Product Manager, ID/AST will be responsible for product management responsibilities of BD’s strong portfolio of automated and manual solutions including Phoenix™ ID/AST system, Bruker MALDI Biotyper, BD Sensi-Disc™, and BD Crystal™ in support of key core laboratory markets including the US, western Europe, China, Japan, Southeast Asia, Latin America, the Middle East, and Africa. Reporting to the global Business Line Leader, he/she will work collaboratively with multiple partners including regional market teams, R&D, scientific and medical affairs, service, and others to develop and execute successful commercialization strategies for existing and new products. He/she will be responsible for developing key insights into market opportunities, creating solutions to commercial barriers, and delivering strategies and tactics to drive financial performance.
Specifically, this individual will supervise the managing the relationships with our pharmaceutical partners, those developing new antibiotics, while driving the development of consumables with new antibiotics within the Phoenix and Sensi-Disc portfolio as well as being accountable for the life cycle management of the full suite of manual ID/AST solutions.
Product Portfolio Strategy and Lifecycle Management
- Shape the product offering and user experience by setting the product vision and strategy, coordinating the development of multi-year, multi-generational product roadmaps, and participating on steering committees and product management teams to drive implementation.
- Lead the continuous application of collected market intelligence to help redefine PLM roadmaps, and drive sound, evidence-based portfolio recommendations and decisions aligned with business goals.
- Engage and support annual portfolio optimization efforts and assist in the entry of new products into SAP, BD’s ERP system.
- Manage the annual marketing planning process for assigned product portfolio, by coordinating the development and execution of marketing plans globally.
Advertising, Promotion, and Communication
- Develop global integrated marketing campaign strategies, and coordinate their execution worldwide.
- Supervise and report on effectiveness of marketing strategy execution, by leading the development and tracking relevant metrics and performance indicators.
- Ensure that budgets, schedules, and functional (Marketing) performance requirements are met.
- Perform channel and pricing analyses to develop optimal global pricing strategies.
- Establish and deploy global pricing guidelines and corridors to regional counterparts; ensure consistent (with global guidelines) deployment of pricing practices worldwide.
Sales, Inventory, and Operations Planning (SI&OP)
- Coordinate the reconciliation of aggregated global demand with financial forecasts
- Identify key regional demand trends and prepare feedback for platform leadership on potential impact to global business performance and financial outcomes.
Opportunity Identification and Analysis
- Cultivate and maintain clear understanding of customer needs, globally; continually assess gaps against BD and competitor products; identify and evaluate new product development or portfolio expansion opportunities.
- Continuously collect market intelligence by analyzing industry, public policy, and social trends to identify new market requirements, customer attitudes, demands, behaviors, and unmet customer needs.
- Assess the global competitive landscape and supervise competitive activity and dynamics through targeted market research, and ad-hoc situational analyses to advise relevance of, and recommend changes to, marketing and business development strategies, as applicable.
Market Selection, Shaping, and Targeting
- Deploy marketing strategy standard methodologies for segmentation, targeting, and positioning to acquire and retain customers; define and deploy globally differentiating value offers, and go-to market strategies.
- Coordinate development and deployment of HEOR evidence generation activities, as applicable, to shape target markets.
- Develop and recommend global channels strategies that enable proposed market targeting and positioning.
Business Case Development
- Coordinate the development of financial models to support business cases for all stages of the PLM process, and to valuate new business development, or market development opportunities.
- Apply best in class market research practices to test inputs and assumptions, and ensure that models provide robust decision-making insights for business strategy, marketing strategy, and portfolio management decisions.
- Serve as voice-of-customer and voice-of-business by translating internal suggestions/ideas, discussions, decisions and initiatives into customer and market impact assessments, and give feedback to key decision makers and partners about potential customer, revenue, or profitability impact.
Global Product Development System (GPDS)
- Coordinate the product development pipeline
- Provide ongoing GPDS process support by participating in peer and functional reviews, and ensure quality and timely completion of global marketing results, as applicable.
Go-to-market (GTM)/Product Launches
- Define global marketing programs required for demand generation and customer acquisition and retention.
- Plan and coordinate the execution of global launch plans.
- Coordinate with regional counterparts like regional Marketing, Service, Supply Chain, and Sales on regional product launch activities.
- Drive the initiation, planning, deployment, and execution of key projects and programs to ensure the timely completion of marketing results towards the achievement of established marketing strategies.
- Work with regional marketing teams to verify and align regional marketing strategy implementation plans with the global ones; ensure (regional) organizational alignment and commitment for regional deployment of global PLM roadmaps.
- Support annual business planning process.
- Develop and manage assigned marketing budgets, including marketing-mix/expense budgets, and global product portfolio sales forecast to achieve financial performance targets for associated P&Ls.
Key Qualities include:
- Drive for execution, ability to work independently and maintain focus on key business drivers
- Influence others: Intuitively and quickly assess people and situations and act accordingly. Demonstrate strong persuasion and timing skills.
- Able to work effectively in a matrix environment.
- Display strong analytical and critical thinking
- Demonstrate and promote leadership courage by doing what is right and by always keeping the customer at the center of every decision.
- Demonstrate agility and action orientation when facing change and uncertainty. Effectively manage change and instill confidence.
- Encourage and promote inclusive and diverse thinking, from both an internal and external view
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and persuasion skills
- BS required, preferably in Life Science subject area. MBA or coursework in Marketing or Business preferred.
- 2+ years of marketing and/or sales experience preferably in medical technology, diagnostics, or pharmaceutical industry experience, with ideal experience including microbiology or infectious diseases
- 2+ technical experience in the field of microbiology may be considered in lieu of marketing or sale experience
- Ability to travel up to 20%
- Sparks, Maryland location preferred with remote location possible
Click on apply if this sounds like you!
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform crucial job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Why join us?
A career at BD means being part of a team that values your opinions and contributions and that empowers you to bring your authentic self to work. Here our associates can fulfill their life’s purpose through the work that they do every day.
You will learn and work alongside inspirational leaders and colleagues who are equally passionate and committed to fostering an inclusive, growth-centered, and rewarding culture. Our Total Rewards program — which includes competitive pay, benefits, continuous learning, recognition, career growth, and life balance components — is designed to support the varying needs of our diverse and global associates.
Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, or any other protected status.
Primary Work LocationUSA MD - Sparks - 7 Loveton Circle
Additional LocationsUSA NJ - Franklin Lakes
Recommendto a friend
"Purpose driven company where associates work every day to make healthcare better. A lot of great initiatives going on to make BD the best MedTech company in the world."
Anonymous, Franklin Lakes, NJ