At BD Becton Dickinson & Co., you’re one person making one big difference. You’re a key member of a team that is an important part of a leading, purposeful company committed to advancing the world of health. No matter what role you play, you can be confident that you’re improving lives, all over the world. And as you progress with us, your impact will only grow.
By being hired into one of our Research and Development jobs at BD, you’ll be a key member of the BD team. Professionals in Research and Development careers come from a variety of backgrounds, bringing an assortment of knowledge and skills to every area of our business. A job in Research and Development at BD may be waiting for you!
Staff Scientist, Process DevelopmentApply Now Job ID R-19588 Date posted 10/26/2017
Job Description Summary
This individual will serve as a process development scientist and provide the technical expertise and leadership in the design and execution of experiments for process development, optimization, scale-up and technology transfer for water soluble synthetic polymers. Individual is expected to be a technical lead in process development and will work with and mentor the team boost process quality.
Responsibilities include leading new process designs, CAPA investigations, troubleshoots complex technical issues, and writing technical reports. Individual must be comfortable working in cross-functional teams under defined deadlines.
The successful candidate will have experience with polymers, organic synthesis, macromolecule separations, and/or analytical characterization with excellent attention to detail. Strong oral and written communication skills are required to facilitate technical transfer of activities between R&D and production.
- Provides technical leadership for process development related activities
- Lead and engage cross-functionally in technical troubleshooting of existing products and customer complaints
- Designing new or refining existing processes to optimize manufacturing using lean and six sigma methodologies
- Lead or actively participate in CAPA investigations, including root cause analysis, design of experiment, action item implementation, and plans for sustaining preventative actions.
- Executes responsibilities with a large degree of urgency and autonomy requiring minimal oversight by immediate manager.
- Reading and writing technical reports
- Influence, assist, and mentor associates to develop technical skills and techniques
- Working with product development teams at various stages of development
- Develop, write, and edit existing SOPs; ensuring valid and accurate information
- Work with multi-functional teams to identify and implement improvements with new technologies that will boost product quality, yields, and reduce production costs.
- Synthesize conjugated polymers using standard air-sensitive techniques.
- Promote a safe work environment. May provide recommendations on maintaining the safety of the work environment. Participates in Environmental Health and Safety programs. Addresses corrective actions whenever a hazard is identified. Notifies supervisor of all observed hazardous conditions or unsafe work practices.
- Other responsibilities or projects as assigned by reporting manager.
Education and Experience:
- Minimum of MS degree in chemistry/material science/chemical engineering with 10 years of industry experience in process development or Ph.D. in chemistry/material science with minimum 6-8 years of industry experience in process development.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Demonstrated ability to transition research protocols to production SOPs in a stage-gated development process
- Accomplished in developing robust scale up and production processes to meet specifications and quality objectives
- Experience in designing and executing MSAs to improve robustness and/or sensitivity of new and existing analytical methods
- Advanced organic synthesis skills
- A background in polymer/material science
- Experience with UV/Vis and/or fluorescence spectroscopy
- Experience with FPLC/HPLC/GPC method development
- Demonstrated ability to manage several projects and tasks while maintaining strong attention to detail· Demonstrated ability to influence others without direct reporting ties
- Experience with Quality system
- Comfortable working within matrix team environments
- Demonstrated successful learning agility
- Self-motivated with a strong sense of urgency and willing to take hands on work
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with Six Sigma methodology
Primary Work LocationUSA CA - San Diego (BDB)
Similar Job Openings Nearby
- Product Manager, Pharmacy Surveillance Birmingham, Alabama 6308561
- Back-up Line Mechanic Sandy, Utah 6308562
- Lab Automation Field Service Engineer ( Field Based Houston Texas) Houston, Texas 6308559
- Instrument Buyer/Planner Sparks, Maryland 6308563