Be part of something bigger at BD. Here, you’ll join a driven, agile engineering team working in a startup-like environment that has the backing and resources of a Fortune 500 company. In engineering, you could be involved in everything from operations, production and construction to information technology and maintenance environments, all while analyzing and developing solutions to further our engineering capabilities. You’ll use your talent and track record of solving complex problems to achieve one singular goal: advancing the world of health™. At BD, you can make a true difference of one.
Job Description Summary
Be part of something bigger!
BD is one of the largest global medical technology companies in the world and is advancing the world of health by improving medical discovery, diagnostics and the delivery of care. We have over 65,000 employees and a presence in virtually every country around the world to address some of the most challenging global health issues.
Our vision for “function or BU” at BD
ABD Medical – Diabetes Care is searching for an R&D Technician II to be part of a team focused on the development of large complex new-to-world product platforms that help people with diabetes live healthier lives. Scope includes new major initiatives or major product development programs within the Diabetes Care business unit or across multiple business units including Diabetes Care.
About the role:
Reporting to the Sr. Manager R&D, Verification and Validation, the primary focus of the position is to assist the Verification and Validation team in performing engineering or design verification and/or validation bench tests. The incumbent will perform tests, collect data, record results and analyze data; build prototype device assemblies for engineering evaluation, assist R&D engineers in preparation of test method and/or assembly work instructions and standard operating procedures; assist engineers in executing design verification and validation; support test equipment development; support other activities from R&D. Assist, when relevant, in transfer of technologies into product development.dd business overview (checklist of approved BD intro sentences - also available on Textio).
Key responsibilities will include:
- With minimal supervision, set up and perform tests; collect data and record test results; analyze test data when it is necessary.
- Maintain accurate data and organize and present data in a reportable format.
- Assist development engineer in preparation of work instructions and test methods.
- Participate in Equipment and Test Method validations.
- Perform test equipment routine preventative maintenance.
- Conduct process development activities to determine key process inputs and output and establish relationship between inputs and outputs.
- Assemble electro-mechanical prototype device for engineering evaluations by using instructions provided by R&D engineers.
- Assist in developing preliminary assembly work instructions based on prototype device assemblies and assist in transfer of instructions into Operations.
- Assist in product failure investigations and root cause analysis to support identification of product design, assembly or test method improvements.
- Maintain good laboratory practices (GLP) consistent with Diabetes Care product development objectives and regulatory guidelines.
- Train new associates on test methods and laboratory practices.
Education and experience required:
- High school diploma or equivalent plus a minimum of 4+ years of direct experience in the relevant fields
- Minimum of 5+ years of medical device industry experience, in R&D, production (assembly) or testing.
- Associates Degree or higher.
- 8+ years of medical device industry experience in R&D or Production (Operations) of disposable mechanical or electro-mechanical devices.
- Experience in mechanical and/or electrical testing in a regulated laboratory environment.
- Ability to work with basic computer programs (Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Ability to perform manual assembly of devices including small components.
- Ability to understand and perform designed test procedures.
Click on Apply if this sounds like you!
Why join us?
A career at BD means being part of a team that values your opinions and contributions and that empowers you to bring your authentic self to work. Here our associates can fulfill their life’s purpose through the work that they do every day.
You will learn and work alongside inspirational leaders and colleagues who are equally passionate and committed to fostering an inclusive, growth-centered, and rewarding culture. Our Total Rewards program — which includes competitive pay, benefits, continuous learning, recognition, career growth, and life balance components — is designed to support the varying needs of our diverse and global associates.
Primary Work LocationUSA MA - Andover
What makes a successful Engineer Professional at BD? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Team player
Advancing the world of health™
BD is one of the largest global medical technology companies in the world and is advancing the world of health™ by improving medical discovery, diagnostics and the delivery of care. BD helps customers enhance outcomes, lower costs, increase efficiencies, improve safety and expand access to health care.
As a new employee what I like most about BD are the many learning and professional developmental opportunities for growth offered. It is good to know that there are so many resources to choose from.
Since joining BD, I really have liked the people I work with on a daily basis and the collaboration towards common goals.
Senior Program Manager
BD is full of passionate, loyal, and driven people that have a common goal of advancing healthcare without sacrificing quality or service.