Instrument Testing Technician 2
Job Description Summary
Performs both production assembly operations and complete system analysis, testing and performance optimization on multiple instruments. Performs complex electrical, mechanical or software troubleshooting to determine problems in non-functioning test equipment. Provides solutions as needed based on pass/fail criteria of instrument performance. May perform equipment modifications as directed by test/manufacturing engineers. Identifies, troubleshoots, and resolves complex issues associated with instrument testing operations. Subject matter expert in instrument and system performance.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Capable to build, integrate, and understand the entire assembly process and requirements for any instrument in the production area
- Proficient on all test instructions of multiple instruments. Including functional and release testing of at least 1 complex instrument.
- Analyze results and data to determine pass/fail and provide solutions when there is a fail result
- Analyze instrument performance and investigate to root cause and repair, even with minimal information
- Investigate, document, and communicate root cause, trends, and system challenges for Quality Investigations and/or CI
- Provide optimization system performance solutions including precision of movement and/or light systems through use of pass/fail data results
- Identify defects, recommend design and process improvements as needed
- Provide expertise in reading / understanding drawings, work instructions, and overall workmanship standards
- Provide training to associates as needed including broad variety of mechanical and testing activities
- Complete any related production activities in compliance with relevant regulatory requirements and in accordance with BD's expectations for Safety and Quality
- Work or interface with Manufacturing Engineering, Quality, Planning and Purchasing as needed
- Complete work activity in the accordance to BD's defined specifications, operating procedures, and company policies.
- Must be able to perform standard material handling functions for instrument raw materials and sub-assemblies.
- Maintain a safe, clean, and efficient work environment through execution of all housekeeping responsibilities including cleaning, sweeping, organizing to maintain a safe and clean work environment
- Demonstrates the ability to follow established procedures according to Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP)
- Must follow all BD housekeeping policies and procedures
- Must follow all BD safety policies and procedures
- Must be able to work overtime as required to meet BD business requirements
- Performs other duties as required.
- AA degree in mechatronics or relevant field with 3 to 5 years’ relevant experience or High School Diploma or GED and 8 to 10 years’ experience in electrical, mechanical or software troubleshooting with a relevant certification / achievement of technical training.
- Must demonstrate capability to provide overall support of testing for complex instruments
- Must demonstrate the ability to lead quality, CI, and System reviews including root cause analysis and providing solutions to a wide range of production and system issues
- Proven leadership skills capability and ability to mentor, coach, and develop other associates
- Proven ability and accountability to results and to improve performance and processes across a team, work cell, or project.
- Must demonstrate a strong ability and commitment to Continuous Improvement. Including ability to initiate, implement, and ongoing support all aspects of Continuous Improvement (Lean Manufacturing) philosophies through active participation in Blitzes, Shift –start up meetings, Kaizen Action Sheets, Safety, and other CI projects and initiatives.
- Fundamental knowledge of mechanical tools including torque drivers, gauges, bits, etc.
- Proficient at reading drawings, interpreting and measuring dimensions, requirements, etc.
- Must demonstrate the ability to manage time across multiple production orders and processes within allotted time standards.
- Must demonstrate the ability to work effectively in a team setting to reach common goals.
- Must demonstrate the ability to understand and work within specified Quality procedures.
- Must demonstrate the understanding and support of Continuous Improvement (Lean Manufacturing) philosophies through active participation in Blitzes, Shift –start up meetings, Kaizen Action Sheets and other CI projects and initiatives.
- Proven ability to complete tasks in support of achieving goals and improved performance
- Must be able to effectively manage frequent assignment changes
- Must be proficient in English with the ability to read, write, analyze/evaluate charts, follow simple diagrams and perform basic arithmetic
- Strong proficiency with PCs (Personal Computers) and basic use of a Windows environment is required
- Strong math and analytical skills.
- Use independent judgment to plan, perform, make decisions, troubleshoot and problem solve in areas on set up, operations, and processes
- Proven leadership ability and strong communication skills
Primary Work LocationUSA MD - Baltimore
Work ShiftUS BD 1st Shift 7am-330pm (United States of America)
Recommendto a friend
"Purpose driven company where associates work every day to make healthcare better. A lot of great initiatives going on to make BD the best MedTech company in the world."
Anonymous, Franklin Lakes, NJ