Production Manager - Instrument Manufacturing
Job Description SummaryJob Overview
The Instrument Plant Operations Manager is responsible for the leadership and direction of products manufactured and returned product repair services. This position coordinates the utilization of all plant direct labor to ensure plant goals are accomplished and are in alignment with business objectives. Works closely with Customer Support Services, Manufacturing Engineering, and Quality teams in processing returned materials and addressing customer complaints. Accountable for financial performance, enhancing organizational capability, and driving continuous improvement initiatives. Also accountable for safety, “working together” elements, resolving priority issues, multi-directional communication and resource allocation within and across departments. The Production Manager reports to the Plant Manager. All functional activities will be performed in accordance with Plant Operating Procedures, GPDS guidelines, and all applicable BDDS Quality Procedures.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Plans and directs production activities and establishes manufacturing priorities for all instrument platforms to maintain quality, cost, and customer service expectations within a safe working environment.
- Manages the processing of returned, un-repaired diagnostic instruments and subsystems. Coordinates proper decontamination events, failure confirmation, and root cause analysis as part of a multidisciplinary team. Provides direct support to domestic customers and to international service leaders.
- Participates in the coordination of Plant team and infrastructure design. Provides on the job coaching to direct reports. Helps identify problem areas and implement changes to improve performance. Champions all Lean Daily Management System (LDMS) elements and strives for continuous improvement in all plant areas.
- Assists in selection and training of plant leadership roles and other key staff positions.
- Provides access to the tools and training for work teams to perform their activities effectively and efficiently with minimal direction or supervision.
- With the functional department managers (Quality, Engineering, Planning, Procurement, Service, Accounting, etc.), drives the use of best practices and strives for functional excellence.
- Establishes an environment to assure the team seeks out customer needs and strives for customer satisfaction at all times.
- Establishes a working environment that fosters participation within and between teams, plants, functions, businesses and divisions within BD.
- Provides communication to the teams on the state of the business, plant goals and business strategies.
- Facilitates the team in developing and implementing recognition and reward, performance appraisal, selection and deselection, and training and accountability systems.
- Develops and manages budget performance for areas of responsibility.
- Serves as change agent via active participation in the ESC operating structure to drive continuous improvement objectives.
- All functional activities will be performed in accordance with Plant Operating Procedures, GPDS guidelines, and all applicable BDDS Quality Procedures.
- BS degree in Engineering or Business is required. Advanced technical (MS or PhD) and/or business management degree (MBA) is preferred.
- Must have a minimum of eight (8) years progressive experience in management and supervision within the Medical Diagnostics or Related Industry.
- Broad knowledge of high-performance manufacturing, FDA regulatory requirements, validation concepts and techniques, standard cost accounting, and business finance is required.
- Experience in the Medical Diagnostics Industry, preferably with diagnostic laboratory equipment design and manufacturing.
- Experience with lean manufacturing, six sigma, and category management is desirable along with MRP and production order transaction maintenance experience using SAP.
- Knowledge and experience with the BD Quality system or equivalent is preferred.
- Must demonstrate excellent communication skills, fluency in interpreting and modeling the BD values, ability to seek input from others, ability to relinquish control, and knowledge of current and anticipated customer needs.
- Must demonstrate proven leadership skills capability and ability to mentor, coach, and develop other associates
Employment at BD is contingent upon the Company’s receipt of sufficient proof that you are or will be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Consistent with BD’s Workplace Accommodations Policy, requests for accommodation will be considered pursuant to applicable law.
Why join us?
A career at BD means being part of a team that values your opinions and contributions and that empowers you to bring your authentic self to work. Here our associates can fulfill their life’s purpose through the work that they do every day.
You will learn and work alongside inspirational leaders and colleagues who are equally passionate and committed to fostering an inclusive, growth-centered, and rewarding culture. Our Total Rewards program — which includes competitive pay, benefits, continuous learning, recognition, career growth, and life balance components — is designed to support the varying needs of our diverse and global associates.
To learn more about BD visit https://jobs.bd.com/
Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status, or any other protected status.
Primary Work LocationUSA MD - Sparks - 7 Loveton Circle
Recommendto a friend
"Purpose driven company where associates work every day to make healthcare better. A lot of great initiatives going on to make BD the best MedTech company in the world."
Anonymous, Franklin Lakes, NJ