Senior Director, Global Medical Affairs - Microbiology, IDS (Flex-Hybrid)
Job Description Summary
Flex-Hybrid Workplace Model
Role / Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Vice President, Medical & Scientific Affairs, BD Integrated Diagnostic Solutions (IDS), the Global Medical Affairs Director will have an important role in influencing key business decisions within IDS, including innovation initiatives, overseeing Medical Affairs in major Regions, and serving as a member of the Medical Affairs Leadership Team.
Will represent Medical Affairs on either the Microbiology Portfolio Decision Team (ODT) and the Microbiology Innovation Council (IC) or the Molecular and Women’s Health & Cancer PDT and IC. Serves on leadership team for product development and lifecycle management across broad portfolios of diagnostic products, meets with all functions. Requires strategic thinking and problem-solving. This role will require extensive cross functional collaborative interaction with BD functions/associates including other functional leaders in IDS, MA Directors of Microbiology and Molecular Diagnostics, Core Team MA Members, Core Team Leaders, R&D, Regulatory Affairs, and Quality.
Will oversee Medical Affairs associates in Global Regions, such as: Greater China (China, Hong Kong, Macao, Taiwan); CASAJ (Central Asia, South Asia, Japan, and ANZ), LATAM (Latin America and Mexico), North America, and EMEA (Europe, Middle East, Africa). Will manage region MA directors as direct reports, each of whom will have or is building a team. This role will require cross functional collaborative interaction with BD functions/associates including Region business leaders, HEOR, and marketing.
Will provide inside-BD training appropriate to level of expertise in clinical pathology, lab medicine, and clinical diagnosis; focus on specimen management and microbiology.
Will provide outward-facing scientific exchange with clinicians and stakeholders across a broad range of diagnostics; focus on growth-based microbiology and molecular microbiology.
Will collaborate with the Global Scientific Affairs evidence generation & study team and the MSL team; focus on specimen management and microbiology.
A critical responsibility of this role will include the development and maintenance of relationships with external entities such as Key Opinion Leaders (“KOLs”) in Laboratory Medicine, Microbiology, Molecular Diagnostics, professional societies, guideline panels, and other MedTech companies.
Experience / Qualifications:
- PhD in Microbiology
- Medical degree with specialty training relative to laboratory medicine, and/or clinical pathology will be a plus.
- Minimum of five (5) years of work experience and management in a field related to lab medicine, clinical pathology, or diagnostics. Experience in MedTech industry will be a plus.
- Deep understanding of what a laboratory is and how it is run, is essential.
- Understanding of clinical care and diagnostic decision-making is essential.
- Ability to work collaboratively across a matrix is required
- Goal oriented and disciplined; action oriented and capable of assessing competitive strategies / products and technologically comfortable with the marketplace and the customer.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated strong customer/client orientation skills.
- Demonstrated leadership skills are required; prior management experience is strongly desired.
- Demonstrated capability for strategic thinking, excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work with teams and to provide leadership within the medical community.
- Ability to integrate medical, scientific, and technical information and effectively communicate data to Regulatory bodies, the scientific community, customers, as well as throughout the organization.
- Ability to build, develop and maintain strong relationships with KOLs and other external thought leaders.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills; attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to understand, interpret and explain complex clinical and scientific information.
- Strong communication skills (verbal, presentation, written).
Travel in USA and international, up to 30%.
The salary, bonus, and stock option package will be very attractive and highly competitive with prevailing market standards.
Primary Work LocationUSA MD - Sparks - 7 Loveton Circle
Recommendto a friend
"Purpose driven company where associates work every day to make healthcare better. A lot of great initiatives going on to make BD the best MedTech company in the world."
Anonymous, Franklin Lakes, NJ