Be part of something bigger at BD. Here, you’ll join a driven, agile engineering team working in a startup-like environment that has the backing and resources of a Fortune 500 company. In engineering, you could be involved in everything from operations, production and construction to information technology and maintenance environments, all while analyzing and developing solutions to further our engineering capabilities. You’ll use your talent and track record of solving complex problems to achieve one singular goal: advancing the world of health™. At BD, you can make a true difference of one.
Job Description SummaryResponsible for Sheet Metal Fabrication and Welding of the joint R&D and Operations Prototyping Shop at the BD Integrated Diagnostic Solutions facility in Sparks, MD, a 3000 sq. ft. facility with laser sheet metal cutting, CNC bending, three CNC vertical machining centers, CNC turning, welding and CMM. This facility services R&D Engineering in the development of new diagnostic instrument and consumable products, and supports the instrument manufacturing and media manufacturing plants.
- Support Integrated Diagnostic Solutions product development from concept through production launch and to end of life.
- Support the Instrument Manufacturing Plant and Media Manufacturing by manufacturing prototype assemblies, test tools, fixtures and custom manufacturing equipment spares.
- Assess sheet metal manufacturability of work requests, providing feedback to engineers and other personnel. Improve the manufacturability as necessary and educate vendors.
- Work with R&D Engineers to creatively solve design and manufacturing challenges
- Program, Fabricate and Weld Sheet Metal jobs including installing hardware
- Maintain inventory of sheet metal, PEM hardware, and preventive maintenance items for laser, press brake, other fabrication equipment and welding supplies. Order gas for laser and welder.
- Knowledge in SolidWorks, Dr. ABE Bend and Blank. Program, setup and operate laser and press brake.
- Install PEM inserts.
- Weld Aluminum, Stainless Steel and Steel. Braze and Solder.
- Perform preventive maintenance on laser every 6 months and other fabrication equipment.
- Repair or replace broken hardware in instruments.
- Be willing to work flex time if needed for manufacturing down time.
Experience & Qualifications:
- Understand engineering drawings and specifications to BD standards, including ASME Y14.5 - 2008 (American Society of Mechanical Engineers) Dimensioning and Tolerancing.
- Operates to the requirements of FDA 21 CFR Part 820 and ISO 13485
- High School Diploma/GED or higher. Trade School preferred.
- Formal training plus 3 years’ experience programming sheet metal break and laser equipment in a prototyping or production environment.
- Solid working knowledge of SolidWorks, Dr. ABE Bend and Blank
- Fluent English verbal and written communication skills
Shift: 1st shift, 6:00 AM - 2:30 PM
Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status.
Primary Work LocationUSA MD - Sparks - 7 Loveton Circle
What makes a successful Engineer Professional at BD? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Team player
Advancing the world of health™
BD is one of the largest global medical technology companies in the world and is advancing the world of health™ by improving medical discovery, diagnostics and the delivery of care. BD helps customers enhance outcomes, lower costs, increase efficiencies, improve safety and expand access to health care.
As a new employee what I like most about BD are the many learning and professional developmental opportunities for growth offered. It is good to know that there are so many resources to choose from.
Since joining BD, I really have liked the people I work with on a daily basis and the collaboration towards common goals.
Senior Program Manager
BD is full of passionate, loyal, and driven people that have a common goal of advancing healthcare without sacrificing quality or service.