Be part of something bigger at BD. Here, you’ll help us share our innovative solutions with more clinics, physicians, pharmacies and medical entities which will in turn benefit the health and well-being of people and patients all over the nation. It’s an exciting, challenging and rewarding role, but you’ll be working from a place of strength thanks to our trusted name, and the belief in our products that you’ll quickly develop. Here, you’ll be channeling all your sales skills and experience into one singular goal: advancing the world of health™. At BD, you can make a true difference of one.
Job Description Summary
The Becton, Dickinson and Company (BD) Life Sciences, Diagnostics Systems business is seeking a Service Engineering System Support Specialist II (SSS II) to join our talented and diverse team. As a SSS II you will become part of the Global Technical Services organization and support the Molecular and Women’s Health & Cancer platforms located in Sparks, MD.
The SSS II role is an exciting and dynamic role, offering a unique view of the BD Diagnostics Systems business and customers. As the subject matter expert (SME) the SSS II leads closure of escalations, and analysis of product health and service performance metrics, gaining valuable insight that he or she will use to propose and drive continuous improvement, sustaining, and new product development projects.
The statements below are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by associates assigned to this job. This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of associates so classified.
The key focus areas for the SSS II are as follows:
- SME for assigned product(s).
- Resolution of globally escalated issues.
- Service Lead for:
- Product health and service performance metrics.
- Continuous improvement (CI) and sustaining projects.
- Core team member (CTM) for low complexity new product development (NPD) projects.
- Support higher complexity NPD projects.
- Mentoring less experienced SSS team members.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- As the technical subject matter expert (SME) for assigned product(s), the SSS II is the liaison between service and other functions leading the effort to determine root cause(s) for product performance issues and provides timely feedback for product improvements.
- Leads resolution of globally escalated issues.
- Tracks service related product health and service performance metrics and makes appropriate recommendations for continuous improvement and operational efficiencies.
- Leads CI and sustaining projects with a primary focus on regional readiness and successful completion of field upgrades and software rollouts.
- Leads low complexity and supports higher complexity new product development (NPD) projects, representing the voice of service and ensures design for serviceability, regional field service readiness and product life cycle management to meet all functional and business objectives.
- Is part of broader cross-functional teams within the organization and provides leadership to extended regional field service teams located around the world with a focus on enhancing service effectiveness and customer experience.
- Demonstrates sound project management capabilities, with limited scope, to design, implement, and optimize service support strategies, for new product launches and field upgrades throughout the world.
- Develops, implements and maintains overall customer support strategy (CSS) for new and existing products based upon global service capabilities and commercial team initiatives.
- Ability to develop and implement long-term strategies and short-term tactical plans to align with business goals and meet customer demands.
- Works with the research & development and learning & development departments to develop technical service documentation necessary to perform product installation, repair, troubleshooting and maintenance.
- Participates and drives the development of service spare parts and tools to aid in field service repairs and meet worldwide needs.
- Provides mentoring and guidance to less experienced SSS team members with escalations, service bulletins, knowledge articles, analysis of service performance metrics, CI and sustaining projects, and service documentation.
- Maintains the departmental standards of performance and promotes a safe working environment throughout the organization.
- Domestic/international travel up to 15% of the time.
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
- Organization & Planning: Accurately determines the length and difficulty of tasks and projects by breaking down into process steps and sets priorities to accomplish goals.
- Problem Solving, Analytical Skills and Professional Judgement: Demonstrates ability to use a combination of logic, analysis, experience, and methods to make sound, timely decisions and solve problems by creating effective solutions.
- Decision Quality:Independently defines parameters to make good decisions, acting on what is important.
- Communication Skills: Good presenter in formal and informal presentation settings, including one-on-one, small and large groups, maintaining attention and managing group process during the presentation.
- Action Oriented:Skilled at identifying challenging tasks and seizes opportunity to contribute when success is attainable.
- Courage & Independence:Executes tasks and decision-making with independence, self-correcting as needed with timely communication to management.
- Composure: Works well during periods of sustained stress, independently managing the effects of strong emotions.
- Flexibility: Applies procedural flexibility where context allows to meet the needs of a specific situation or a client’s needs.
- Process Effectiveness: Identifies efficient ways to design and implement process improvements, seeking guidance as needed with complex processes.
- Process and Service Acumen:Well versed in service-related processes and service engineering with ability to navigate within a matrixed organization.
- Organizational Agility:Awareness of organizational culture, knowing how to effectively navigate within a matrixed environment, and understands the origin and reasoning behind key policies, practices, and procedures.
- Influencing Others:Develops influential strategies, adapting presentation or discussion to appeal to the interest of others. Applies thoughtful action to achieve a specific impact.
- Talent Management: Provides challenging and stretching tasks and assignments for others and works jointly with others to construct development plans.
- Dealing with Ambiguity:Decides and acts without having the total picture. Handles risk and uncertainty comfortably.
- Building Effective Teams:Identifies and selects people for teams based upon skills required, promoting team cohesiveness and wins.
REQUIRED EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical, Electrical, Biomedical, Industrial or Systems Engineering or related education or equivalent work experience.
- 2+ years experience in Service Engineering, Technical Field Service, Technical Support, Manufacturing, R&D or other relevant experience.
- Project Management experience
- Intermediate knowledge of statistics and statistical analysis.
PREFERRED EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Service Engineering, Technical Field Service, Technical Support, Manufacturing, R&D or other relevant experience.
- Education or experience in biology, chemistry or demonstrated ability to understand system application.
- Advanced degree in related field.
- New product development.
- Project management.
- Experience working and traveling in a global role.
- Supporting a clinical study program.
- Working in an FDA/ISO-regulated environment.
- SAP, ServiceMax and Salesforce CRM platforms.
- Basic knowledge of Healthcare IT.
- Basic knowledge of medical device hardware and software cybersecurity rules and regulations.
Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status.
Primary Work LocationUSA MD - Sparks - 7 Loveton Circle
What makes a successful Sales Professional at BD? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
Advancing the world of health™
BD is one of the largest global medical technology companies in the world and is advancing the world of health™ by improving medical discovery, diagnostics and the delivery of care. BD helps customers enhance outcomes, lower costs, increase efficiencies, improve safety and expand access to health care.
I’m proud to work at BDI Surgery and BD because the work we do every day optimizes surgical outcomes and enhances patients’ lives.
VP Sales & Commercial Excellence
Every day we focus on bringing innovative solutions to patients living with diabetes. The patient is at the heart of everything we do.
VP Marketing and Commercial Excellence
Getting our customers the right information on time so they can focus on their science and diagnostics needs is why I come to work every day.
Vice President Global Marketing