Be part of something bigger at BD. Here, you’ll join a driven, agile engineering team working in a startup-like environment that has the backing and resources of a Fortune 500 company. In engineering, you could be involved in everything from operations, production and construction to information technology and maintenance environments, all while analyzing and developing solutions to further our engineering capabilities. You’ll use your talent and track record of solving complex problems to achieve one singular goal: advancing the world of health™. At BD, you can make a true difference of one.
Job Description SummaryAs directed by the Quality Manager, the Senior Quality Engineer is accountable for supporting new product development and product maintenance through the application of Quality engineering skills for medical devices. This person will handle projects and tasks, from product inception through product launch and maintenance, and play an active role in the processes to ensure products meet quality standards consistent with both Corporate and Business Unit policies while meeting all design control and other regulatory requirements.
- Provides support/mentoring/coaching for application of technical principles, theories, concepts and quality, tools and systems.
- Develops technical solutions to complex problems which require the regular use of technical knowledge, experience, ingenuity, and creativity.
- Is a core team member for complex design control / process control projects.
- Can serve as a CAPA expert.
- Modifies methodologies and procedures, ensuring continuous improvement of desired outcomes.
- Supports quality system audits.
- Provides input to the management review process
- May perform other duties as required
Scope of Responsibilities
- Develops advanced technological ideas and guides their development into a final product, process or business opportunity.
- Ensures the accurate and actionable recording of data for the making of decisions as well as to document development work
- Contributes to long-range business strategies, choosing disciplines and methods appropriate to the work content and context
- Outputs contribute to reduced cycle times, improved effectiveness and furthering the achievement of goals critical to company objectives
Position specific responsibilities include support of the following, however, are not limited to:
- Design Control
- EU MDD/MDR
- Change control
- Risk Management
- Process Validation
- Identification of CTQ's
- Handling of deviations and non-conformances
- Test method validations
- Supplier qualification
- Post Market Surveillance
- CAPA – Root cause investigation and implementation of corrective / preventive actions
- Proper Use of Statistics (Sampling Plans)
- Advise on Regulations and standards
- Liaise with Manufacturing Plants
- Provide functional support to cross-functional teams
- Support Internal and external audits
Sphere of Influence
- Work is performed without appreciable direction.
- Assignments are often self-initiated. Determine and pursue courses of action necessary to obtain desired results.
- Plans and participates in disciplines strategically relevant to the business and/or functions
- Provides advice and mentors junior Associates
- Participates in, and may provide leadership for, multi-disciplinary projects
- Considered Site / functional level Subject Matter Expert.
- May be assigned as site / functional extended team member
- Bachelor’s Degree
- A minimum of 9 years of relevant experience or a combination of equivalent education and relevant experience
- Minimum 5 years of experience supporting design assurance for medical devices
- Extensive knowledge of applicable regulatory, Corporate and/or Unit requirements. Applicable Regulatory and Industry standards (21-CFR-820, ISO 13485, MDD, MDR, ISO 14971, ISO 10993, etc.)
- Quality Engineering tools, Statistics, Problem Solving, strong Interpersonal Skills, Leadership, all forms of Communication
- ASQ Certificate(s) desirable (but not required)
- Design for Six Sigma preferred
Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status, or any other protected status
Primary Work LocationUSA CA - San Diego TC Bldg C&D
Additional LocationsUSA CA – Brea
What makes a successful Engineer Professional at BD? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Team player
Advancing the world of health™
BD is one of the largest global medical technology companies in the world and is advancing the world of health™ by improving medical discovery, diagnostics and the delivery of care. BD helps customers enhance outcomes, lower costs, increase efficiencies, improve safety and expand access to health care.
As a new employee what I like most about BD are the many learning and professional developmental opportunities for growth offered. It is good to know that there are so many resources to choose from.
Since joining BD, I really have liked the people I work with on a daily basis and the collaboration towards common goals.
Senior Program Manager
BD is full of passionate, loyal, and driven people that have a common goal of advancing healthcare without sacrificing quality or service.