Job Description SummaryThe Environmental Health and Safety Engineer works in the Safety and Facilities department and is responsible for providing leadership and support for the manufacture, testing and distribution of implantable medical devices.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES including the following:
- Identifying, developing, implementing, monitoring and maintaining lean manufacturing, 6 sigma, quality improvement, and cost reduction projects in alignment with the company's objective;
- Identifying, developing, implementing, monitoring and maintaining procedures and systems to support IEMA/NRC/OSHA/EPA/and local agencies
- Managing and supporting the internal safety and facility systems;
1.Managing and supporting the radiological program (auditing, dose surveys, source accountability, etc.)
- 2.Performing calculations and developing spreadsheets to assist radiological decisions and documentation
- Facility and personnel audits;
- Equipment maintenance;
- 3.Managing the radioactive waste program
- 4.Audit and maintain an ALARA program;
- Supervision of non-exempt EH&S personnel, as assigned.
- Understand and follow the established corporate safety standard, local facility operating procedures and safety policies.
- Maintain regular and predictable attendance
- Other duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel
- Background in Physics and supporting calculations
- Proficiency in auditing and Job safety analysis
- Experience working with regulatory agencies (IEMA, OSHA, EPA, DOT)
- Working knowledge of IEMA, OSHA, DOT regulations
- Strong organizational and independent working skills
- Strong technical writing ability
- Ability to lift 50 pounds from floor to waist level
- Ability to travel occasionally for supplier audits, division/project meetings and training seminars.
- Ability to work in areas that contain radioactive materials.
- Attention to detail
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- BA/BS in a scientific discipline or relevant experience;
- 2+ years Environmental Health and Safety experience;
Excellent oral and written communication skills in English are required.
Proficiency in math is required.
The ability to analyze to root cause, problem solve and implement appropriate corrective action is required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Required to sit, talk, hear, stand, bend, reach with hands, lift or move up to 50 lbs. (archive record boxes). Vision requirements include ability to see and interact with a computer.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position works in a normal office/lab/warehouse/mezzanine/rooftop environment. The noise level in the work environment is quiet to loud.
Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status.
Primary Work LocationUSA IL - Carol Stream
Recommendto a friend
"Purpose driven company where associates work every day to make healthcare better. A lot of great initiatives going on to make BD the best MedTech company in the world."
Anonymous, Franklin Lakes, NJ