Be part of something bigger at BD. Here, you’ll join a driven, agile engineering team working in a startup-like environment that has the backing and resources of a Fortune 500 company. In engineering, you could be involved in everything from operations, production and construction to information technology and maintenance environments, all while analyzing and developing solutions to further our engineering capabilities. You’ll use your talent and track record of solving complex problems to achieve one singular goal: advancing the world of health™. At BD, you can make a true difference of one.
Job Description Summary
Be part of something bigger!
BD is one of the largest global medical technology companies in the world and is advancing the world of health by improving medical discovery, diagnostics and the delivery of care. We have over 65,000 employees and a presence in virtually every country around the world to address some of the most challenging global health issues.
We value our talented employees, and whenever possible strive to help our associates grow professionally before recruiting new talent to our open positions. If you think the open position you see is right for you, we encourage you to apply!
Our people make all the difference in our success.
This position will contribute to a global business within BD Medical, dedicated to delivering quality and innovative solutions for Hazardous Drug Safety (HDS). The business is committed to maintaining its accelerated growth through portfolio diversification, differentiated offerings and geographic / market expansions, while maintaining the profitability of the core product lines. We manage a healthy portfolio of programs ranging from incremental innovation to exciting & breakthrough opportunities enabling medication delivery solutions. Our engineers and scientists have passion for bringing innovative technical solutions to meet serious unmet clinical needs, have a strong track record of professional achievement, and have the desire for continuous development and growth. We strive to provide individuals with opportunities to develop skills, gain and share knowledge, understand and deliver what our customers need and build a rewarding and fulfilling career.
We are recruiting for a highly driven technical professional with a passion for problem solving and a proven track record of successfully developing medical products. Reporting to the Associate Director of R&D, the successful candidate has a unique opportunity to join a high-caliber global R&D team responsible for test method development, design verification and design validation.
In this role you will be responsible for:
As Associate Staff Engineer you will provide technical support to a cross-functional team. The successful candidate will lead test method development activities encompassing measurement system development & analyses, test fixture design and equipment hardware/software validation for measurement system equipment. He/she will ensure that translated product requirements are testable and measurable. The ideal candidate will also participate in executing technical and multi-functional design verification and design validation activities. The successful candidate will support associates leading requirements management, design and development and post-launch support. Primary responsibilities include but not limited to the following:
- Define, plan and lead activities for test method & measurement system development and validation, fixture design and testing optimization in support of Design Verification.
- Application of engineering first principles and advanced engineering methods to gain deep understanding of the underlying technical issues, and to propose and implement robust solutions.
- Collaborate with Design & Development, Systems Engineering and cross-functional teams to ensure product requirements are verifiable and measurable.
- Synthesize, develop, update, and optimize designs based on understanding design space. Understand design options and tradeoffs; managing critical parameters; leverage strong engineering fundamentals and tools. Incorporate manufacturing principles early in the development process.
- Ensure deliverables are reliable across the design space, is adequately pressure-tested to satisfy user, regulatory and business requirements. Understand system and subsystem design sensitivity and identify and address early any potential design integration and transfer risks.
- Implement DFSS rigor throughout the design selection and development process, leveraging and deploying empirical, statistical and analytical tools to drive informed design decisions and reduce design iteration cycle times.
- Ensure the design considerations are embedding all applicable DFX (Design for Excellence) aspects including manufacturability, usability, reliability and safety.
- Create and document novel test methodologies and provide feedback and recommendations for product/design changes.
- Actively build on personal skills, expertise, and competencies. Ensure that technical lessons are reviewed, learned, and disseminated.
- Coach and mentor junior engineers and technicians to execute project deliverables.
- Ensure compliance with BD quality policies, procedures, and practices.
- Ensure compliance with all local, state, federal, and BD safety regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Materials Engineering, Biomedical Engineering with mechanical emphasis or related field
- 6-8 years of post-baccalaureate professional experience leading or supporting product development projects in a regulated industry
- Experience with implementing product changes through a structured, phase-gated product development process
- Experience solving problems, provides detailed insight and constructive criticism in complex situations, and foresees problems along with potential solutions
- Proficient in solid modeling (Pro/E, SolidWorks or equivalent)
- Experience in modeling and simulations using Finite Element Methods [Eg: ABAQUS] and sensitivity analyses
- Leadership and team building skills
- Experience with design standard methodologies, including advanced tolerance design, and design for reliability
- Working with regulatory standards
- Project management expertise on multiple multi-functional projects
To be successful in this role, you require:
- Graduate degree (MS or PhD) in Mechanical Engineering, Materials Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, or related field
- 2+ years of post-educational experience in Medical Device Design
- Design for Six Sigma, Design for Manufacturability training / experience
- Experience with injection molded plastics design for high-volume disposables
- Experience as lead in the development of medical disposable devices
- Proficiency with basic statistical techniques including familiarity with analysis of variance (ANOVA) and design of experiment (DOE) methodologies
- Expertise in common risk management techniques
- Product development on a cross-functional team ideally in a healthcare, medical technology or life sciences area
- Working knowledge of regulatory standards applicable to design of medical devices, including FDA QSR 21 CFR 820, ISO 13845, ISO 14971 and IEC 60601 and collateral standards highly desired
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills
- Manage partners within the functional chain and multi-functional peers
- Ability to learn and adapt quickly to multiple and competing requests
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to work under pressure and time constraints
- Effective interpersonal and collaborative skills
- Deals with ambiguity, making practical assumptions with engineering justification where needed
- Masters the technical skills, knowledge and tasks associated with the role
Why join us?
A career at BD means that you are part of a team that values your opinions and contributions and that empowers you to bring your authentic self to work. Here you can fulfill your life’s purpose through the work that you do every day.
You will learn and work alongside inspirational leaders and colleagues who are equally passionate and committed to fostering an inclusive, growth-centered, and rewarding culture. Our Total Rewards program — which includes competitive pay, benefits, continuous learning, recognition, career growth, and life balance components — is designed to support the varying needs of our diverse and global associates.
To learn more about BD visit https://jobs.bd.com/
Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status, or any other protected status.
Primary Work LocationUSA NJ - Franklin Lakes
What makes a successful Engineer Professional at BD? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Team player
Advancing the world of health™
BD is one of the largest global medical technology companies in the world and is advancing the world of health™ by improving medical discovery, diagnostics and the delivery of care. BD helps customers enhance outcomes, lower costs, increase efficiencies, improve safety and expand access to health care.
As a new employee what I like most about BD are the many learning and professional developmental opportunities for growth offered. It is good to know that there are so many resources to choose from.
Since joining BD, I really have liked the people I work with on a daily basis and the collaboration towards common goals.
Senior Program Manager
BD is full of passionate, loyal, and driven people that have a common goal of advancing healthcare without sacrificing quality or service.