Director, Business Development
Job Description Summary
General Purpose Summary:
BD is a global medical technology company that manufactures and sells medical devices, instrument systems and reagents, and is dedicated to enriching people’s health throughout the world.
The company has its headquarters in scenic Franklin Lakes, NJ, close to major metropolitan routes that provide easy access to numerous academic, arts, leisure, sports and historic areas of interest. BD offers a very competitive compensation and benefits package, strong leadership commitment to individual development and learning, and on-site fitness centers at our Franklin Lakes location.
BD Medical Segment is ~$9 Billion in revenues and consists of four worldwide business units (Medical Delivery Solutions, Medication Management Systems, Pharmaceutical Systems and Diabetes Care). BD Medical Segment is looking to augment organic growth with targeted inorganic opportunities.
The Director, Business Development is a key role in the Segment team and is responsible for identifying, assessing, and conducting diligence on new business opportunities that are in line with the overall business and strategic growth objectives for the Segment. This includes both driving Segment level adjacency/white space assessments as well as supporting efforts within the business units. The role reports to the VP, Strategy and Business Development for the Medical Segment and works alongside with other key Segment team and business unit leaders to assess market potential, financial viability, and technical relevance of all potential new business opportunities. This position will interface with appropriate personnel across divisions, corporate business development and external entities.
Key responsibilities include:
- Partners with the Segment team and relevant business unit teams to define spaces of interest for inorganic growth. This includes assessing the space standalone attractiveness, competitive landscape and BD’s right to win (including synergies with Segment strategies).
- Within the selected spaces, develops a funnel of inorganic opportunities (including tuck in acquisitions, technology platforms, partnership opportunities) through building out a network (industry conferences, trade shows, relevant companies, etc.) within the relevant spaces
- Conducts comprehensive review of opportunities identified or assigned. Develops value proposition and reaches a recommendation and next steps.
- Interfaces with all functional groups to investigate and evaluate opportunities in sufficient depth to define the values, risks, fit, technical feasibility, benefits and fundamental structure of the deals. Prepare and conduct a formal proposal for each acquisition candidate to the management team.
- Participates in deal execution including due diligence, facilitating interactions across all functional areas.
- Prepares and presents new business opportunities to senior leaders that include detailed financial analysis, market opportunity, revenue potential, IP, and technological assessment.
- Partners with enterprise Corporate Development to develop and negotiate term-sheets and provides solutions to reach agreement on deal terms.
Education and Qualifications Required:
- Bachelor’s degree in sciences/ engineering. M.B.A. with (if applicable) focus on Marketing, Healthcare Management or Finance. M.S. or Ph.D. in a technical discipline valued.
- Prior experience in top tier management consulting firms or investment banking combined with strategy/business development roles in medtech in companies with revenues of >$1B.
- Position requires a background and solid understanding of the medical devices and healthcare IT industry broadly: key trends, clinician needs and drivers, market dynamics and major players.
- Must have ability to conduct primary and secondary market research on spaces, targets and conduct landscape mapping of key players in each space.
- Must have ability to do financial modeling to assess the business case for targets
- Demonstrated ability to lead complex cross-functional initiatives
Additional Skills and Competencies Required:
- Strong presentation skills and ability to present material and complex matters in a succinct and organized manner
- Ability to think critically in tactical and strategic dimensions simultaneously.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively work across various functions in order to ensure deliverables are met against required timelines.
- Ability to prioritize tasks in real time and exercise judgment in high-stakes environment.
- Ability to quickly establish credibility, trust and support with both internal and external constituents.
- Demonstrated ability to hire, develop, and manage employees.
- Strong ability to communicate effectively with leaders at the most senior levels within the corporation.
- Strong quantitative, modeling and negotiations skills and experience.
- Ability to interface effectively with all levels and functions both inside and outside of the organization.
Primary Work LocationUSA NJ - Franklin Lakes
Recommendto a friend
"Purpose driven company where associates work every day to make healthcare better. A lot of great initiatives going on to make BD the best MedTech company in the world."
Anonymous, Franklin Lakes, NJ