Program Manager-Research and Development
Job Description Summary
BD is a global medical technology company that is advancing the world of healthby improving medical discovery, diagnostics and the delivery of care. One of the Business unit of BD is MDS (Medication Delivery Solutions) which has various products in its $3.5B portfolio viz Catheters, Hypodermic syringes, Flush syringes, IV sets and Infusion sets to name a few with market leadership on most of them. And we are constantly working to innovate our portfolio to serve our customers meet their clinical needs.
In our quest to innovate, simplify our development processes and empower our 900+ strong R&D workforce we are looking to overhaul our R&D development toolkit. This would involve simplifying product lifecycle management, application lifecycle management, design tools etc. And we are looking for an energetic Program Manager to lead this effort for MDS R&D team.
The successful candidate will be part of MDS PMO organization, reporting direct line into the MDS – COE & Lean Program Director. The position is located in BD’s Franklin Lakes (NJ) site. The candidate will be in charge of Lean Engineering Tools Program. The candidate will have to manage the multi-functional activities of the program, collaborate, lead & interact with the cross functional stakeholder teams (R&D, Procurement, Supply Chain, Marketing, Quality, MA, Regulatory etc.) through deliverables, own and execute the program plan.
This role requires close interaction with R&D teams across 3 BGs in MDS; understand and identify their needs and align them on common usage pattern which aligns with Lean Design Controls (an existing process initiative already underway in MDS R&D).
The successful candidate will be responsible for creating and implementing streamlined processes and tools for project initiation; prioritization and resource allocation; milestone tracking and reporting; and overall project governance & execution per plan.
- Applies extensive technical expertise & has full knowledge of related disciplines. Develops technical and business process solutions to complex problems which require the regular use of ingenuity and creativity. In partnership with the platform and core team members, leads the development and commercialization, go to market and launch strategy for the project(s).
- Responsible for the creation of the project work breakdown structures, risk management, integrated business plans and product requirements. Leads the cross functional development of product architecture for each functional area, synthesizes functional plans and identifies critical interdependencies to drive successful execution of the project.
- Technical and business skills and judgment to significantly influence the technical and business direction of the project. Able to create and influence novel thinking of the team.
- Ability to communicate complex technical and business issues completely, concisely, and effectively to enable high-quality decision making and drive cross-functional alignment.
- Has a thorough understanding of all functional work streams in a phase gate process and a vision of an integrated project plan.
- Finds and creates new avenues of excellence. Self-starting and will take action without prompting or direction from others to solve problems.
- Constantly looks for improvements in work processes and results by anticipating and dealing with problems and encouraging others to suggest innovations and improvements
- Represents the organization as the prime contact on contracts and projects. Interacts with senior external personnel on significant technical matters often requiring coordination between organizations.
Scope of Responsibility
- Create and effectively manage Lean Engineering’s Lean Tools Program along with MDS R&D /cross functional leadership team.
- Influences solutions to business or technical problems especially in the context of identifying right set of development tools for R&D.
- Help formulate and execute on the R&D Tools simplification roadmap for MDS R&D in close collaboration with Lean Engineering R&D team.
- Collaborates with cross functional team to ensure timely delivery, review and approvals via multiple stakeholder inputs as well as other conflicting/dependent programs.
- Responsible for the execution, quality and results of the project and the success of the resulting tool deployment for the business.
- Interacts with functional managers and business leaders to communicate regarding critical project risks, questions, or challenges.
- Challenges core team members, functional leaders and business leaders regarding functional and cross functional strategies and approaches in order to improve Program development outcomes.
- Analyzes development situations and data with in-depth evaluation of multiple factors.
- Communicates and implements the strategic and technical direction for the project/program team.
- Complete understanding of a wide application of project management principles, theories & concepts.
- BS degree in Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science & Engineering, Biomedical Engineering or a closely related engineering degree is required. An advanced degree in an engineering discipline or MBA is preferred.
- At least 4-5 years relevant experience in Medical product development and design is needed.
- 4+ years of experience leading cross-functional, global teams through complex projects or programs. Program management experience preferred.
- Experience in new product development planning multiple work-streams, identifying risk and implementing action plans to optimize timelines and reduce execution risk.
- Experience establishing customer requirements from defined needs specifications and translating to product requirements.
- Experience working in Product/Application Lifecycle Management Tool environment during one or more product development phase(s).
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, presentation and influencing skills.
- PMP certification or equivalent.
- Good knowledge of enterprise level R&D product lifecycle management tools or application lifecycle management tools.
- Has successfully implemented one or more enterprise level tool deployment.
- Has successfully worked on medical device products from concept through launch.
- Experience utilizing combination of analytical, statistical, computational, and empirical methods to gain deep understanding of design and minimize overall development timelines.
Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status, or any other protected status.
Primary Work LocationUSA NJ - Franklin Lakes
Recommendto a friend
"Purpose driven company where associates work every day to make healthcare better. A lot of great initiatives going on to make BD the best MedTech company in the world."
Anonymous, Franklin Lakes, NJ