Senior Counsel, Corporate and Securities (Franklin Lakes, NJ)
Job Description Summary
We are the makers of possible
BD is one of the largest global medical technology companies in the world. Advancing the world of health™ is our Purpose, and it’s no small feat. It takes the imagination and passion of all of us—from design and engineering to the manufacturing and marketing of our billions of MedTech products per year—to look at the impossible and find transformative solutions that turn dreams into possibilities.
We believe that the human element, across our global teams, is what allows us to continually evolve. Join us and discover an environment in which you’ll be supported to learn, grow and become your best self. Become a maker of possible with us.
This position supports the day-to-day operations and functions of the Corporate Secretary’s office, working closely with the company's Board of Directors, senior management and company functions and businesses. Responsibilities will include supporting the Corporate Secretary’s office in:
- Developing and providing advice regarding securities law disclosure/compliance, including Annual Reports on Form 10-K, Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q, Current Reports on Form 8-K, and SEC registration statements, and drafting the annual meeting proxy statement and preparing for the annual meeting of shareholders.
- Providing securities law advice and compliance guidance for earnings releases, investor materials, management presentations and other communications.
- Providing legal support to Board of Directors and Board Committees, which includes advising on substantive legal matters; developing meeting agendas, and preparing materials for Board/Committee meetings.
- Providing legal advice on ESG disclosures (including sustainability and climate-related reporting) under applicable regulations and industry standards (e.g., TCFD and SASB), which would include serving as primary legal support to the ESG/Sustainability Team.
- Providing legal support on equity and debt financings.
- Providing legal advice and counseling with respect to equity-based compensation plans, executive compensation matters and Section 16 reporting.
- Assisting in the development of various corporate policies, including securities trading and Regulation FD.
- Monitoring and maintaining awareness of pending securities and corporate governance regulations and developments that are relevant to public companies.
EDUCATION, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
The ideal experience and critical competencies for the role include the following:
- Bachelor's degree and Doctor of Jurisprudence degree
- Bar admission in at least one state.
- 5-10 years of professional experience as a practicing attorney in a large law firm or in-house setting,with primary emphasis in corporate, securities and capital markets practice. Strong background in corporate and securities law matters, SEC reporting, corporate governance and executive compensation is preferred.
- Experience supporting and/or working with boards of directors and senior management. Experience serving in an in-house corporate secretary office of a public company is a plus.
- Strong experience advising on reporting and disclosure requirements under SEC and NYSE rules, and working cross-functionally to draft and review all periodic SEC reports and other SEC-related forms and filings.
- Strong understanding of corporate governance matters.
- Excellent work ethic and high degree of professionalism, and a proven ability to work both independently and within a team.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
- Superior organization, decision making and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast paced, changing environment and to balance multiple, concurrent projects.
- In terms of cultural fit, the successful candidate will be self-motivated and energized by working amongst a group of thoughtful, smart and successful colleagues. He or she will enjoy being part of an organization focused on excellence and will be a naturally collaborative person who enjoys interacting with individuals at all levels. Additionally, he or she will be a strong team player with a proactive approach and the ability to exercise discretion and judgment.
For certain roles at BD, employment is contingent upon the Company’s receipt of sufficient proof that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. In some locations, testing for COVID-19 may be available and/or required. Consistent with BD’s Workplace Accommodations Policy, requests for accommodation will be considered pursuant to applicable law.
Why Join Us?
A career at BD means being part of a team that values your opinions and contributions and that encourages you to bring your authentic self to work. It’s also a place where we help each other be great, we do what’s right, we hold each other accountable, and learn and improve every day.
You will learn and work alongside inspirational leaders and colleagues who are equally passionate and committed to fostering an inclusive, growth-centered, and rewarding culture. You will have the opportunity to help shape the trajectory of BD while leaving a legacy at the same time. And through the organization’s investment in BD University, you will continually level up your tech skills and expertise.
To find purpose in the possibilities, we need people who can see the bigger picture, who understand the human story that underpins everything we do. We welcome people with the imagination and drive to help us reinvent the future of health. At BD, you’ll discover a culture in which you can learn, grow and thrive. And find satisfaction in doing your part to make the world a better place.
To learn more about BD visit https://bd.com/careers
Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status, or any other protected status.
Primary Work LocationUSA NJ - Franklin Lakes
Recommendto a friend
"Purpose driven company where associates work every day to make healthcare better. A lot of great initiatives going on to make BD the best MedTech company in the world."
Anonymous, Franklin Lakes, NJ