Be part of something bigger at BD. Here, you’ll join a driven, agile engineering team working in a startup-like environment that has the backing and resources of a Fortune 500 company. In engineering, you could be involved in everything from operations, production and construction to information technology and maintenance environments, all while analyzing and developing solutions to further our engineering capabilities. You’ll use your talent and track record of solving complex problems to achieve one singular goal: advancing the world of health™. At BD, you can make a true difference of one.
Job Description Summary
Senior Staff Scientist, Clinical Innovation
Be part of something bigger!
BD is one of the largest global medical technology companies in the world and is advancing the world of health by improving medical discovery, diagnostics and the delivery of care. We have over 65,000 employees and a presence in virtually every country around the world to address some of the most challenging global health issues.
MDS, with $4B in annual revenues, is the largest Business Unit across BDX. MDS products are crafted to optimize medication delivery and include vascular access devices (peripheral and central IV catheters, acute dialysis catheters, port access, and guidance technologies), vascular management systems (flush, disinfecting caps, vascular skin antisepsis, dressing, and stabilization devices), hazardous drug handling and testing solutions, infusion specialty disposables (IV sets, connectors), injection systems (hypodermic needles and syringes, enterals, anesthesia needles and kits, sharps collectors), and BD Intelliport™ (for clinical medication management).
MDS is on a ground-breaking journey toward creating a connected ecosystem for VAM Solutions. MDS’s COE enables this results-oriented journey through technological innovations built upon materials-enabled technologies.
The Sr. Staff Scientist will play the role of a Clinical Architect within the BD Medication Delivery Solutions (MDS) Business Unit’s R&D Centers of Excellence (COE), focusing on identifying opportunities and unmet needs in clinical practice as they pertain to MDS current and future product portfolios. The Clinical Architect will derive key performance attributes required for new products and product technologies. The position will include responsibilities to understand customer/user needs and unsolved problems, current approaches and gaps from those approaches, and link those to critical success factors for technology searches. He/she will be a thought leader to internal stakeholders and the face of the R&D Center of Excellence organization from a clinical perspective, internally and externally. The incumbent is expected to extensively leverage external ecosystem including clinical experts and organizations, academic / government institutions, NGOs, industry partners, incubators, accelerators while building upon capabilities internal across the BD network. He/she will work closely with others in R&D, Commercial, Clinical, Regulatory, Manufacturing, and Business Development Functions.
The incumbent is expected to have sufficient
- Clinical or pharmaceutical expertise
- Business acumen
to work with business internal stakeholders, external clinical experts, and customers to understand requirements and unmet needs, as well as opportunities for new inorganic acquisitions or licensing. He/she is further expected to quickly develop strong market and clinical insights to bridge new emergent technologies with market needs. He/she will be part of an international, geographically dispersed team.
Working in a cross-functional environment, you will
- Provide senior technical and clinical leadership, and project management skills towards identifying clinical unmet needs and developing a roadmap on how to address those needs.
- Lead evaluation of relevant next-generation medical challenges and unsolved problems and assist in the quantification of their financial value to the corporation through economic value estimate models (EVE).
- Lead evaluations of the clinical relevance of internal and external business opportunities, support development of business cases and charter appropriate programs from those opportunities.
- Develop and execute an outreach strategy to identify high-impact external scientific collaborations aligned with business strategy.
- Build and maintain an active network with clinical experts, set up KOL boards in critical areas, as well as with Medtech, biotech and venture communities by attending partnering conferences, industry events and congresses.
- Identify, plan, break down and solve complex and abstract problems, and leveraging your credibility to provide technical direction / guidance / mentoring to the organization.
- Prepare and present assessments and recommendations to business group and business unit leadership, as well as to several BD stakeholder groups, including the Innovation Council, Strategic Innovation, Business Development.
- Support of R&D IP strategy and processes and participate in a work environment that prizes scientific inquiry and innovation.
- Dual clinical and technical degree such as
- MD/PhD with 2+ years of experience.
- Master’s degree in Nursing or other clinical field, with PhD in science/engineering field with 5 years experience.
- Master’s degree in Nursing or other clinical field, with MS in science/engineering field with 8+ years experience.
- Experience in converting clinical problems to product design inputs/requirements is required.
- Experience in new product development for pharma or medical device applications is desirable.
- Ability to work in a highly matrixed organization.
- Deep technical curiosity, courage and commitment to advancing bold and ambitious ideas that provide better options for patients and caregivers.
- Ability to drive well-informed, fact-based decision making to drive projects and deliver timely results.
- Possess a high degree of motivation, bring an energetic and energizing approach to all engagements.
Employment at BD is contingent upon the Company’s receipt of sufficient proof that you are or will be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Consistent with BD’s Workplace Accommodations Policy, requests for accommodation will be considered pursuant to applicable law.
Note – there is some flexibility on location for this position (US-based). Strong preference is Franklin Lakes, NJ, followed by Salt Lake City, UT. Other possible locations: Vernon Hills, IL, San Diego, CA
Why join us?
A career at BD means that you are part of a team that values your opinions and contributions and that empowers you to bring your authentic self to work. Here you can fulfill your life’s purpose through the work that you do every day.
You will learn and work alongside inspirational leaders and colleagues who are equally passionate and committed to fostering an inclusive, growth-centered, and rewarding culture. Our Total Rewards program — which includes competitive pay, benefits, continuous learning, recognition, career growth, and life balance components — is designed to support the varying needs of our diverse and global associates.
To learn more about BD visit https://jobs.bd.com/
Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status, or any other protected status.
Primary Work LocationUSA NJ - Franklin Lakes
What makes a successful Engineer Professional at BD? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Team player
Advancing the world of health™
BD is one of the largest global medical technology companies in the world and is advancing the world of health™ by improving medical discovery, diagnostics and the delivery of care. BD helps customers enhance outcomes, lower costs, increase efficiencies, improve safety and expand access to health care.
As a new employee what I like most about BD are the many learning and professional developmental opportunities for growth offered. It is good to know that there are so many resources to choose from.
Since joining BD, I really have liked the people I work with on a daily basis and the collaboration towards common goals.
Senior Program Manager
BD is full of passionate, loyal, and driven people that have a common goal of advancing healthcare without sacrificing quality or service.