Senior Staff Quality Engineer, Continuous Improvement
Job Description SummaryReporting to the Senior Director, Quality Management, the Senior Staff Quality Engineer, Continuous Improvement provides leadership to technical and managerial staff. The role contributes to the definition of the strategy and determines the tactics required to achieve plant/business unit/function objectives. The role will have responsibility for providing leadership and support for Continuous Improvement programs through use of Six Sigma (Manufacturing, Transactional and Design For Six Sigma), Lean, and Validation and project management best practices. Through outstanding communication; effective problem solving and active management of ambiguous situations; the role ensures product safety, product quality and compliance with all relevant global regulations and customer expectations. Success is measured in terms of the frequency and scale of product quality organizational issues as well as business process effectiveness. Through stakeholder engagement; the Senior Staff Engineer produces durable and industry leading results supporting key business drivers.
- Maintain an influential and effective network and communication with leadership team members for identifying quality improvement opportunities to evaluate, propose and implement new processes and technologies to optimize efficiencies.
- Works with senior leadership to develop continuous improvement strategies linked to key business strategies and objectives.
- Focuses on improving processes that support the Business and Quality Objectives.
- Works with all functions (Clinical, Finance, Design, Manufacturing, Marketing, Program Management, Regulatory, R&D, and Quality Engineering) to drive CI projects beyond Sustaining Engineering and New Product Development i.e. improving functional work processes.
- Establishes tracking mechanisms (metrics) that record measurable results of CI in terms of process efficiency, customer satisfaction, financial and non-financial benefits, and transfers those mechanisms to the functions. Develops and maintains an overall dashboard to track CI program/project progress and develops other communication mechanisms.
- Benchmarks internal and external organizations. Identifies, implements, leverages and transfers best practice knowledge to the organization. Assists functions in utilization of best practices (DFSS, MFSS, 8D).
- Collaborates with a network of CI leaders across the Medical Segment that will support the deployment and anchoring of CI capabilities across the functions and sites.
- Collaborates with Corporate Quality on key BD CI strategies and objectives, and GPDS process owners for overall improvement of the product development process.
- Manages an effective training and certification system and flow for Six Sigma Green Belts, Black Belts, Master Black Belts and Lean Leaders for the Diabetes Care business.
- Effectively navigate and lead through the challenges of change and establish key stakeholder engagement focused on win-win solutions.
- Continuously evaluate progress toward objectives adapting them to meet customer and business needs.
- Pursue and actively manage key stakeholder relationships that support the broader strategy that are impacted by plant/business/function objectives.
- Manage customer impacting issues; prioritizing quality and compliance minded solutions that uphold the company and its standards.
- Maintain positive and cooperative communication and collaboration with all levels of employees, customer, contractors and vendors.
- Pursue and maintain a functional knowledge of global regulations.
- Contribute to development of local and/or global strategies.
- Accomplishes tasks through experienced professionals and managers.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to work in complex/ambiguous environment
- Strong strategic thinking, negotiating, facilitating and leadership skills.
- Excellent track record of cross functional engagement.
- Excellent communication / presentation skills.
- Ability to influence without authority and deal effectively with ambiguity.
- High level of problem identification, analysis, and formulation of conceptual/technical and business solutions.
- Strong business, technical and computer skills.
- Skill with project planning and execution including budget management competencies.
- Using computer based analytical, statistical and modeling tools to identify and improve processes.
- Mentorship skills focused on effective knowledge and skill transfer.
- Ability to translate strategy into actionable objectives that drive project execution.
- Working knowledge of cGMPs and ISO
- Strong interpersonal skills including communications, facilitation, consulting, coaching, and influencing
- Demonstrated ability to work under tight deadlines and handle multiple/detail-oriented tasks
- Proficiency with key PC software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Minitab)
- Licenses or Certifications:
- Six Sigma Black Belt (Master BB preferred)
- Lean Leader
- Project Management
EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION:
- Education: BS/MS Science or Engineering
- 10+ years’ experience in product development, research & development, quality engineering, project management, manufacturing and continuous improvement environments. Demonstrated problem solving ability using computer based statistical and analytical tools, fundamental knowledge of finance, project budgeting and scheduling. Demonstrated ability to lead people by influence.
Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status
Primary Work LocationUSA NJ - Franklin Lakes
Recommendto a friend
"Purpose driven company where associates work every day to make healthcare better. A lot of great initiatives going on to make BD the best MedTech company in the world."
Anonymous, Franklin Lakes, NJ