Be part of something bigger at BD. Here, you’ll join a driven, agile engineering team working in a startup-like environment that has the backing and resources of a Fortune 500 company. In engineering, you could be involved in everything from operations, production and construction to information technology and maintenance environments, all while analyzing and developing solutions to further our engineering capabilities. You’ll use your talent and track record of solving complex problems to achieve one singular goal: advancing the world of health™. At BD, you can make a true difference of one.
Job Description SummaryReporting to Operations, the successful candidate will provide Injection Molding expertise and other Engineering support for the Pharmaceutical Systems Advanced Drug Delivery Solutions (ADDS) products and other platforms within Pharm Systems. Primarily supports new product introductions by working closely with R&D, manufacturing plants, and outside Vendors to implement manufacturing technologies.
- Subject matter expert in tooling, scientific Molding, plastic materials, and can perform molded part/tooling estimation Able to train, mentor and counsel assistants and team members in the area of proper manufacturability of high volume medical molded parts.
- Assesses new product designs, ensuring part designs can be injection molded economically. Performs Design for Mold-ability, Assembly & Scale-ability assessments (DFM/DFA). Ensures that material chosen for parts are economical and appropriate and estimates capital and product costs.
- Interfaces with personnel from R&D, Molding, Quality, Manufacturing, Process/Assembly Technology, and manages outside mold maker/molding vendors. Creates a seamless interface with R&D to ensure successful product launches.
- Manages assigned projects, using advanced project management tools, providing tracking and regular updates of project plan and project budget.
- Can evaluate and modify solid models, use mold flow simulation techniques, along with mold cavity process monitoring instrumentation.
- Define requirements for injection molding processes, automation, and other technologies from concept evaluation through pilot production, process optimization, validation, and commercialization.
- Communicates, coordinates, leads and executes tool design activities and molding process development activities including tooling validation. Responsible for mold tool and process development from the prototype stage to full commercial scale.
- Works independently in the development of a project plan and execution by prioritizing and scheduling the completion of assignments, within budget constraints. Completes the above with little direction and without a starting template
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Plastics Engineering or related technical discipline is required. Master’s Degree is a plus
- Experience with 3D Sigma or 3D Mold Flow analysis for part design and moldability
- Experience developing new products. Proven ability to work with cross functional groups to drive successful project outcomes.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience managing injection molding related projects. Candidate’s history should cover complex mold design, and molding machine process development. Proven ability to make changes to part design for moldability /manufacturability. Demonstrated leadership as a molding lead within a cross functional group with direct responsibility for positive project results.
- Previous experience writing part specifications and managing vendors who make equipment, molds, and provide custom molding services.
- Six Sigma Green Belt certification desirable
- Strong analytical and empirical skills. Proven ability to execute scientific molding principles with a full understanding of DOE processes and statistical software(s) like Minitab
- RJG Master Molder training/certification or similar skill set
- Previous engineering experience in an FDA (Food and Drug Administration) GMP (Good Manufacturing Practices)/QSR (Quality System Regulation) environment
- Experience in metrology and development of fixtures and measurement methods
- Knowledge of Glass forming and the associated downstream processes is desired.
- Experience with thermoset compression molded parts has value.
- CAD experience in Solidworks or another CAD system is a plus.
- Ability to interpret, edit and correct part models and drawings and in addition complete and/or critically evaluate molding simulations
- Capable of working under minimal supervision and taking ownership of critical projects
- Experience developing new products from concept to launch phase, including pilot capabilities to full production scale-up
Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status
Primary Work LocationUSA NJ - Franklin Lakes
Work ShiftUS BD 1st Shift 9am-530pm (United States of America)
What makes a successful Engineer Professional at BD? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Team player
Advancing the world of health™
BD is one of the largest global medical technology companies in the world and is advancing the world of health™ by improving medical discovery, diagnostics and the delivery of care. BD helps customers enhance outcomes, lower costs, increase efficiencies, improve safety and expand access to health care.
As a new employee what I like most about BD are the many learning and professional developmental opportunities for growth offered. It is good to know that there are so many resources to choose from.
Since joining BD, I really have liked the people I work with on a daily basis and the collaboration towards common goals.
Senior Program Manager
BD is full of passionate, loyal, and driven people that have a common goal of advancing healthcare without sacrificing quality or service.