Be part of something bigger at BD. Here, you’ll join a driven, agile engineering team working in a startup-like environment that has the backing and resources of a Fortune 500 company. In engineering, you could be involved in everything from operations, production and construction to information technology and maintenance environments, all while analyzing and developing solutions to further our engineering capabilities. You’ll use your talent and track record of solving complex problems to achieve one singular goal: advancing the world of health™. At BD, you can make a true difference of one.
Job Description Summary
Be part of something bigger!
BD is one of the largest global medical technology companies in the world and is advancing the world of health by improving medical discovery, diagnostics and the delivery of care. We have over 65,000 employees and a presence in virtually every country around the world to address some of the most challenging global health issues.
As a member of the BD Pharmaceutical Advanced Drug Delivery Systems (ADDS) business, you will have the unique opportunity to play a vital role in the rapid scale-up of an exciting new business platform that will be a key contributor to BD’s future growth. Our mission is to become a world-class, customer focused organization that will have a significant impact in improving how patients receive drugs for their chronic conditions. You will have the advantage of combining the best of both worlds: the agility and creativity of a high-growth, start-up environment, and the backing and resources of a Fortune 500 company.
This team member should share our passion for excellence and innovation while actively building on their motivation to design and build this family of self-administered injection products from the ground up.
The new hire will join a New Product Development team and will be responsible for leading and/or participating in the design and development activities from concept all the way through commercial launch of the product. Activities will focus on identifying, articulating, and quantifying customer needs and requirements; translating these requirements to product requirements and specifications; assessing the suitability of current designs and technologies to meet these requirements; and, where necessary, developing and implementing innovative design solutions to address needs or gaps.
More specifically your responsibilities will be to:
- Lead a team in aspects of innovation, design, and development and identify new technologies for a variety of advanced drug delivery products such as wearable injectors in a design control environment.
- Leverage and direct internal and external resources to maximize their effectiveness and provides analysis to leadership teams for resource planning.
This can include:
- Act independently within team expectations, providing guidance, training and direction of work assignments to less experienced team members; coordinate with functional leadership to identify associates to complete tasks under his/her accountability while balancing a high level of autonomy in daily activities.
- Utilizes sketch concept generation techniques to create multiple new design concepts for review and critique. Creation and refinement of Refines design concepts, taking into consideration such things as industrial design, ergonomics, material selection, fits and tolerances, ease of manufacture, and cost effectiveness. Design objectives achieved through expertise in:
- Concept generation
- Functional modeling
- System architecting
- Prototyping (proof of principle)
- Customer requirement gathering
- Design products for high volume manufacturing, ie. Suitable for plastic injection molding, die cast molding, automated assembly/packing processes, etc.
- Manages and provides expert guidance to Design for Manufacturing and Assembly (DFMA) for product and piece-part development, as required by high volume molding and assembly processes
- Tolerance stack-up analysis for complex mechanical assemblies
- Provide guidance for FEA analysis and in interpreting results
- Analyze and draw conclusions from test data for improving product performance
- Manage and assess external vendors/supplier work and capabilities
- Conduct design reviews, FMEA's and design verification programs
- Generate imaginative yet practical technical solutions to a wide range of difficult problems.
- Exhibit an understanding of customer needs and processes to ensure relevant and innovative product development solutions.
- Demonstrate technical rigor and creativity, continuous learning and improvement, and alignment to customer needs and value creation.
- Demonstrate strong and clear accountability/responsibility for successful and timely completion of designated tasks.
- Contribute to a culture of innovation by proactively generating novel concepts to improve product performance or enhance products' ability to address customer needs.
- Minimum of 8 years’ experience as a product design / development engineer and/or project engineer in the medical device or pharmaceutical industries (experience with FDA class II or III medical devices preferred).
- MS in Mechanical, Materials Science, or Biomedical Engineering or closely related disciplines preferred.
- Experience with developing products or implementing product changes through a structured, phase-gated, product development process.
- Experience identifying (through a variety of methods, including observation and solicitation), articulating, and prioritizing customer needs and requirements
- Demonstrated experience designing complex components for high volume manufacturing methods such as plastic injection molding, die casting, compression molding, etc.
- Demonstrated understanding of product development considerations for tightly controlled, high-volume manufacturing processes.
- Demonstrated experience with all phases of the Design Control process.
- Demonstrated understanding of the requirements management process, with demonstrated experience in design verification strategy and implementation.
- Demonstrated experience in a technical role on a cross-functional team, leadership role preferred.
- Excellent understanding of medical device product development risk management methodologies.
- Proficiency with statistical techniques.
- CSWP Certified SolidWorks Professional a plus
- Prior experience with Enventive Concept / 360 a plus
- Clear understanding of manufacturing process validation including FAI/FAT, development and IQ/OQ/PQ.
- Understanding of IP considerations.
- Intellectual curiosity coupled with strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to clearly and effectively communicate (verbal & written) concepts.
- Demonstrated versatility and learning agility.
- Proficiency in tolerance stack-up analysis involving multiple components.
- Design and execution of user studies in support of product requirement specification development.
- Experience with designing for high-volume manufacturing methods such as plastic injection molding and automated assembly/packaging processes.
- Experience with design optimization for multi-component mechanical assemblies or systems involving injection molded and compression molded components.
- Clear understanding of fixture design including basic machining considerations and Measurement Systems Analysis (MSA).
- Experience using advanced engineering tools such as Design for Six Sigma or Six Sigma methodologies, Black Belt is a plus.
Why join us?
A career at BD means being part of a team that values your opinions and contributions and that empowers you to bring your authentic self to work. Here our associates can fulfill their life’s purpose through the work that they do every day.
You will learn and work alongside inspirational leaders and colleagues who are equally passionate and committed to fostering an inclusive, growth-centered, and rewarding culture. Our Total Rewards program — which includes competitive pay, benefits, continuous learning, recognition, career growth, and life balance components — is designed to support the varying needs of our diverse and global associates.
To learn more about BD visit https://jobs.bd.com/
Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status, or any other protected status.
Primary Work LocationUSA NJ - Franklin Lakes
What makes a successful Engineer Professional at BD? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Team player
Advancing the world of health™
BD is one of the largest global medical technology companies in the world and is advancing the world of health™ by improving medical discovery, diagnostics and the delivery of care. BD helps customers enhance outcomes, lower costs, increase efficiencies, improve safety and expand access to health care.
As a new employee what I like most about BD are the many learning and professional developmental opportunities for growth offered. It is good to know that there are so many resources to choose from.
Since joining BD, I really have liked the people I work with on a daily basis and the collaboration towards common goals.
Senior Program Manager
BD is full of passionate, loyal, and driven people that have a common goal of advancing healthcare without sacrificing quality or service.