Staff Engineer, R&D (Advanced Drug Delivery Devices, Combination Products)
Job Description Summary
BD is in search of a talented R&D Staff Engineer looking to take their previous development experiences with wearable infusion pumps, large volume injection devices, or the like to the next level.
As a R&D Staff Engineer with BD’s Pharmaceutical Systems, Self-Administration Injection Systems (SAIS) team in Franklin Lakes, NJ, you will have the opportunity to take a hands-on technical leadership role on a cross functional project core team guiding the design, development, verification and validation of combination products in support of BD’s global R&D pipeline with special focus on the parenteral delivery of biologics and biosimilars. At its core, this role will give you the opportunity to develop user-centric drug delivery solutions designed to drive patient empowerment, independence, compliance, and improved health outcomes.
What you get to do every day:
- Deliver on new and exciting advanced drug delivery solutions as a technical leader on a cross-functional project team through all phases of the project lifecycle, from concept through launch.
- Represent the organization as the prime technical contact to a pharma partner on a B2B product development project.
- Translate business requirements into a robust, scalable technical design.
- Pursue complex problems by applying sound engineering principles, utilizing experimental, computational and analytical methods to a range of technical product development challenges over a range of products from simple disposable components to complex electromechanical and “smart” device assemblies.
- Work closely with both functional and project managers to identify and mitigate technical issues to reduce programmatic risks.
- Improve product development cycles and quality via the application of DFSS and Lean Product Development Tools
- Develop and guide technical design/methodologies to achieve product goals,
- Mentor a team of R&D associates in best design practices, analysis, simulation and verification of subsystems and systems
We are looking for a technical leader who can:
- Guide multi-function teams comprising of QA, Medical Affairs, Regulatory Affairs, Marketing, and Manufacturing team members by facilitating effective communication and engagement.
- Mentor and motivate team members and junior associates while coaching them through activities such as bench studies, tolerance stack up analysis, FMEAs, design verification, validation, vendor interactions, materials specifications and component specifications.
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal communication skills, which enable you to gain client trust and mentor junior engineers.
- Apply and assert DFSS best practices on all projects
- Be an agile learner, tolerant of risk, and biased towards action
- Effectively and clearly communicate concepts, ideas and knowledge to other individuals, teams and customers
- Ensure compliance with BD quality policies, procedures and practices as well as with all local, state, federal and BD safety laws, policies and procedures.
You will be effective if you have:
- History of developing/launching medical product(s) through a phase gate development cycle in an ISO13485 environment (or equiv.).
- Expert knowledge in related technical fields
- Excellent analytical skills & discipline; able to conduct thorough analysis of concepts that have high uncertainty
- Intellectual drive to gain firsthand understanding of customer needs
- Excellent critical thinking skills; able to constructively challenge ideas and invite critical feedback
- Ability to set a vision and engage the diverse team to achieve that vision
- Ability to lead through building relationships; demonstrated facilitation skills across different functions; motivated by collective success
- Skilled communicator at all levels; able to translate complex technical concepts for non-expert audiences.
- Work closely with functional and project managers to identify and mitigate technical issues to reduce programmatic risks
- Experience in guiding team/individuals to develop technical solutions to complex problems
- A propensity to quickly learn new concepts and technologies and convert them into customer solutions.
- The initiative to Identify opportunities and drive continuous improvement efforts
- Must have a Bachelor of Science Engineering or technical degree. A post graduate degree is desired.
- Minimum of 8 years related work experience required (combination of work experience and advanced degrees).
- Minimum of 5 years’ related work experience in medical device development with an emphasis on wearable infusion pumps, large volume injection devices, or the like.
- Deep experience in the selection and/or design and commercialization of parenteral drug delivery devices in the Biotech industry.
- Proven track record of executing complex system designs incorporating mechanical subsystems, preferably in the medical device field
- Ability to lead multi-discipline engineering project teams
- Must have strong verbal and written communication skills
- Proficiency with modern CAD, CAE and other design / simulation tools
- Experience working in FDA regulated environment.
- Willingness to travel (global) up to 10% of time
- Strong working knowledge of current standards and regulatory expectations for injection device and combination product development, filing and commercialization.
- GD&T (geometric dimensioning and tolerancing)
- Minitab or equivalent statistical analysis software
- Proficiency with systems engineering and requirements management
- Technical Project planning
Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status.
Primary Work LocationUSA NJ - Franklin Lakes
Recommendto a friend
"Purpose driven company where associates work every day to make healthcare better. A lot of great initiatives going on to make BD the best MedTech company in the world."
Anonymous, Franklin Lakes, NJ