Be part of something bigger at BD. Here, you’ll join a driven, agile engineering team working in a startup-like environment that has the backing and resources of a Fortune 500 company. In engineering, you could be involved in everything from operations, production and construction to information technology and maintenance environments, all while analyzing and developing solutions to further our engineering capabilities. You’ll use your talent and track record of solving complex problems to achieve one singular goal: advancing the world of health™. At BD, you can make a true difference of one.
Job Description Summary
BD Medical - Diabetes Care (DC) is seeking a Staff Engineer to focus on Human Factors and User Experience Design (HF+UXD). HF+UXD is a scientific discipline that studies how people interact with products or systems and seeks to improve safety, efficacy, and user delight.
This individual will work with minimal oversight with cross-functional teams on key programs and initiatives across Diabetes Care, utilizing evidence-based tools to drive user-centered product development principles proven to reduce risks, minimize development costs, and maximize market acceptance of solutions.
The HF+UXD Team works within DC new product development. The goal is to stimulate and lead concept and technology innovation spanning multiple product platforms. The role of HF+UXD within this group is to bring knowledge and expertise in user-centered design that begins with the initiation of programs and transitions into design and development. The HF+UXD engineer will have the opportunity engage in numerous DC product development, innovation, and sustaining programs as well as supporting Digital Health (DH).
The HF+UXD engineer will serve as an individual contributor to Diabetes Care project teams for human factors engineering and user experience design – engaging in product design work and independent review, including the following:
- Usability Planning & Execution:
- Collaborate with cross functional core teams to ensure human factors and usability plans are appropriately scaled.
- Execute human factors and user experience design deliverables by working with minimal supervision, managing the work of external vendors, and consulting with project teams to ensure quality deliverables.
- Support the Diabetes Care team in execution of deliverables associated with closing gaps in project usability files.
- Human Factors & User Experience Tools:
- Drive understanding of the human-system interface through the creation of user profiles, environmental characterization, workflow mapping, task analysis, functional modeling, and use cases / scenarios.
- Utilize anthropometry, biomechanics, and human capability data to support, analyze, and optimization system design and ergonomics.
- User Needs/Requirements & User Risk Assessment:
- Distill research insights into themes that inform user needs, user risk, and user interface design through processes such as affinitization or KJ Analysis to ensure traceability.
- Have working understanding of the requirements management process that focuses on the creation of user needs and stakeholder requirements as part of a cross-functional team.
- Evaluate Use Error as part of use-related risk analysis (aEURA, uFMEA, and/or Hazard Analysis) and contribute to mitigation efforts in partnership with medical affairs and cross-functional teams.
- Design of User Interfaces:
- Support design and development of user interfaces which include but are not limited to devices, software, packaging, instructions, and training.
- Conduct product evaluations, brainstorming sessions, competitive analysis, and other usability engineering methodologies with internal teams and external vendors.
- Utilize low to high fidelity prototyping methods to enable quick turn customer centric design loops that power Agile processes and decision making.
- Generative Research & Front-End Innovation:
- Participate as a member of the experience teams to conduct generative research including but not limited to observational research (contextual inquiry and ethnography), competitive usability assessment as required.
- Formative Evaluation, Design Validation, and Summative Human Factor Design Validation:
- Design, plan, execute, analyze, and report using qualitative and quantitative research as part of formative study evaluation which may include but are not limited to heuristic evaluation, expert review, simulated use studies, and actual use studies.
- Serve as support, executional lead, and/or contact for external vendors and business group Verification & Validation (V&V) teams during Design Validation and Summative Human Factors Validation.
- Partner with internal and external teams such as Global Clinical Development, Pre-Clinical Development, and Medical Affairs to perform Pre-Clinical and Clinical Studies
In addition to program responsibilities, the HF+UXD engineer will also work to support efforts to educate and improve human factors engineering and user experience design throughout the BD Diabetes Care community. They will accomplish this by doing work that exemplifies best practices, influencing other engineers on project teams, participating in and helping with training/workshops, and providing constructive challenge primarily to DC teams as independent reviewers and advocates of the customer and end-user.
- 8+ years of technical experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in a technical field (human factors engineering, biomedical engineering, mechanical engineering, industrial design)
- Working knowledge of applicable standards and industry guidance for medical devices and usability engineering including: IEC 62366-1, FDA Guidance for Human Factors (2016), ISO 13485, FDA Guidance for Design Controls, ISO 14971
- Capable of performing usability studies and translating HF+UXD findings into user-needs/requirements, user risk, and/or design solutions related to the user interface
- Proficient at least one of the following to support innovation, design, and development:
- Sketching or Graphic Design
- 3D Modeling and Drafting (SolidWorks Preferred)
- Wire Fame and Programming
- Technology Development in areas such as but not limited to Mechanical, Electrical, or Software Engineering
- Master’s Degree or PhD in a technical field (mechanical engineering, systems engineering, human factors engineering, biomedical engineering, or industrial design preferred)
- 2+ years of experience working with medical devices
- Demonstrated creation of new concepts and Intellectual Property (IP)
- Experience leading and/or managing work streams that include outside partners and/or internal team members
- Highly motivated self-starter able to achieve results with minimal oversight
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with ability to present complex ideas to multiple levels
- Strong creative, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong technical judgement, leadership, and interpersonal skills
- Strong facilitation and analytic skills with an open mind
- Proficient knowledge of engineering first principles
- Working understanding of the End to End Product Development Process
BD is one of the largest global medical technology companies in the world and is advancing the world of health by improving medical discovery, diagnostics and the delivery of care. The company develops innovative technology, services and solutions that help advance both clinical therapy for patients and clinical process for health care providers. BD and its 65,000 employees have a passion and commitment to help improve patient outcomes, improve the safety and efficiency of clinicians’ care delivery process, enable laboratory scientists to better diagnose disease and advance researchers’ capabilities to develop the next generation of diagnostics and therapeutics. BD has a presence in virtually every country and partners with organizations around the world to address some of the most challenging global health issues. BD helps customers enhance outcomes, lower costs, increase efficiencies, improve safety and expand access to health care.
“Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status.”
Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status, or any other protected status.
Primary Work LocationUSA MA - Andover
Additional LocationsUSA NJ - Franklin Lakes
What makes a successful Engineer Professional at BD? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Team player
Advancing the world of health™
BD is one of the largest global medical technology companies in the world and is advancing the world of health™ by improving medical discovery, diagnostics and the delivery of care. BD helps customers enhance outcomes, lower costs, increase efficiencies, improve safety and expand access to health care.
As a new employee what I like most about BD are the many learning and professional developmental opportunities for growth offered. It is good to know that there are so many resources to choose from.
Since joining BD, I really have liked the people I work with on a daily basis and the collaboration towards common goals.
Senior Program Manager
BD is full of passionate, loyal, and driven people that have a common goal of advancing healthcare without sacrificing quality or service.