Strategic Innovation Leader
Job Description Summary
The Strategic Innovation Leader will work within the Strategic Innovation Group to support the team under the team’s charter to develop future innovative product concepts, services and/or value offerings for Pharmaceutical Systems within and beyond BD’s core global platforms. This role involves researching and assessing market, technical & clinical trends to identify unmet customers needs, leading to growth opportunities. The Strategic Innovation Leader will lead evaluation of concepts from a commercial, technical, and clinical perspective with the goal of advancing opportunities through the innovation process until they enter the Global Product Development System (GPDS). The role will report to the Director of Strategy and Innovation
This Strategic Innovation role will collaborate with cross-functional teams members (R&D, Medical Affairs, Marketing, etc…), Regional Sales Teams, customers and Key Opinion Leaders.
This role will partner with these experts to gather their feedback to identify, assess and build support for innovation business cases that expand the portfolio and deliver new solutions to customers worldwide. New opportunity may results from external business development or internal research and developments.
This role will be accountable for the following strategic innovation objectives:
- Lead the Traceability opportunity advancing the innovation opportunity up to GPDS transition
- Investigate areas of unmet needs through fact-based market and customer insights.
- Working internally across functions including Marketing, R&D, Medical and Regions and externally by going to conferences, studying trends, understanding guidelines and studies, working with KOL’s etc.. to identify customer driven insights and opportunities.
- Collaborate to identifying, evaluating, and prioritizing hunting grounds for future growth in line with PS objectives.
- Lead the creation of business cases working with finance, marketing, medical affairs and R&D for new product ideas/solutions (strategic & disruptive innovation, cross-platform & cross-BU, organic & inorganic).
- Support and inform the creation of incremental innovation for platform related projects
- Drive cross-functional evaluation of growth opportunities to identify underlying medical, technical needs, evaluate market size and optimal segmentation, assess customer willingness to pay and adoption, identify likely regulatory pathways, collaborate to assess IP and evaluate possible partnership/acquisition scenarios.
- Scouting opportunities for inorganic opportunities and/or partnerships that enable the innovation strategy. Evaluating companies from early company scans and pre-diligence to active due diligence. Engaging outside experts and establishing external alliances and partnerships ranging from early technology development, development partnership to commercial/supply agreements.
- Closely partner with R&D Innovation teams and Medical Affairs to explore product concept design options and to support the assessment of technical development and manufacturing feasibility
- Facilitate external ethnographic research projects, interview clinical and commercial subject matter experts to surface and prioritize new opportunities
- Collaborating with regions to ensure innovation ideas are customer driven and will be successful in market.
- Contribute to establishing a culture of innovation contributing to the Innovation Council
- Support the implementation of best innovation practices across PS.
- Bachelor’s Degree required. MBA strongly preferred.
- 8+ years of experience in strategic innovation, strategic marketing, Product and/or Marketing Management with a consistent track-record of high performance and results
- Business experience may include innovation development, marketing, sales, sales training and business development.
- Global experience preferred but not required
- Prior experience/knowledge in Track & Trace for medical products along the product life cycle preferred
- Prior experience in management consulting or innovation function from other industry preferred but not required
- Experience in identifying market opportunities, market segmentation, completing competitive analysis, developing pricing strategies, and new product commercialization strategies
- Proven strategic thinking capability including strong customer focus, needs identification and value proposition development. Proven analytical skills with the ability to translate data into actionable insights and business strategies and plans.
- Innovative mindset to propose new and creative solutions for continuous improvement.
- Experience with innovation processes and driving innovation projects/initiatives.
- Experience with business development and inorganic opportunity identification and assessment.
- Demonstrated experience in evaluating industry business trends, including innovative and transformative technologies.
- Ability to use sound, independent reasoning and judgment to establish work priorities and identify ways to optimize project timelines and to mitigate project risks/delays.
- Strong organizational skills and demonstrated ability to meet tight deadlines in an environment of competing priorities. Proven ability to work in high-paced environment and routinely work on multiple tasks with multiple people while effectively prioritizing.
- Ability to develop comprehensive business cases with detailed financial analysis.
- Action oriented with demonstrated ability to drive results.
- Exhibits effective communication and interpersonal skills and can work internationally with diverse cultures. Previous experience working with international team members a plus.
- Highly effective interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence that have resulted in positive relationship building (particularly cross-functional and global), with the ability to work in a matrixed organization and to influence without authority.
- Outstanding written and verbal presentation skills.
- High integrity and ethics and strong fit with BD values.
Job Specific Requirements
Up to 20% travel, domestic and international (contingent on travel policies)
Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status, or any other protected status.
Primary Work LocationUSA NJ - Franklin Lakes
Recommendto a friend
"Purpose driven company where associates work every day to make healthcare better. A lot of great initiatives going on to make BD the best MedTech company in the world."
Anonymous, Franklin Lakes, NJ