Be part of something bigger at BD. Here, you’ll help us continually improve how we do things every day; to be more efficient, more effective and better serve our customers. You’ll do this within an exceptional team all striving to make sure that everything we do complies with regulations and standards, not just because it’s the right thing to do, but because our products impact people’s quality of life. Here, you’ll put your compliance experience, high expectations and attention to detail to the very best use: advancing the world of health™. At BD, you can make a true difference of one.
Job Description Summary
The QM Associate Scientist is a laboratory Microbiologist who independently schedules and performs a wide variety of multiple, complex microbiological tests of complex biological raw materials and greater than 100 different complex products in response to customer demand. The QM Associate Scientist performs data analysis using visual, instrumented, graphical and calculative means based on the biochemical, selectivity and growth promoting properties of media, In addition, the QM Associate Scientist assures that documentation and procedures are followed, updated and maintained as required by internal Quality Policies and related FDA/GMP guidelines. The QM Associate Scientist performs non-routine detailed project support and investigational testing and is involved in resolution of technical issues related to microbiological processes. The QM Associate Scientist is subject to extended periods of sitting, and standing, frequent walking, and occasional lifting of materials weighing 25-50 pounds. The QM Associate Scientist must be able to use personal protective equipment (e.g. respirators, gloves, etc.). The QM Associate Scientist must be willing to Cross train in other sections of the Quality Laboratories for surge events and as needed. The QM Associate Scientist must be able to train other personnel on appropriate test methods and techniques thoroughly, as needed. The QM Associate Scientist must exhibit the Becton Dickinson Core Values to do what is right, take personal responsibility,anticipate and address the challenges of patients and customers globally, as well asinnovate and improve continuously, and respect, collaborate, challenge and care about each other.
The QM Associate Scientist may be required to perform testing of Mycobacterium tuberculosis (TB) and other similar organisms requiring Biosafety Level 3 Laboratory containment with strict adherence to safety policies associated with this manner of testing. Associates must pass an FBI background check along with other internal program requirements.
Bachelor's Degree in Biology, Microbiology or other related Life Science is required
- 1+ years' practical experience in a Microbiological, or Medical Technology Laboratory.
- Isolate and maintain cultures of bacteria or other microorganisms such as algae, fungi, and some types of parasites, of both pathogenic and non-pathogenic abilities.
- Recording, analyzing and interpreting data, while ensuring that data is recorded accurately in accordance to guidelines.
- Ability to determine causes of process or testing errors and deciding what to do about it with some supervision.
- Conducting microbiological tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Ability to work with microscopes, analytical balances, biological safety cabinets, filtration manifolds, and must be able to adhere to sterile technique and good lab practices.
- Ability to work in a clean room environment meeting validation requirements associated with donning and doffing clean room garments.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Good problem solving and trouble-shooting skills with the ability to make independent decisions.
- Experience working with Microbes and Bacteria and associated knowledge of a biosafety level 2 laboratory.
- Knowledge of Microbiology and Biochemistry as they relate to bacteria, yeast, and fungi.
- Ability to produce accurate detailed results.
- Demonstrated patience, decisiveness and ability to work independently but within a team setting.
- Computer and numerical skills are required.
- Knowledge of the following industry regulations FDA (Food and Drug Administration), GMP (Good Manufacturing Practice) / QSR (Quality System Regulation), ISO (International Organization of Standardization).
- Knowledge of cGMP (Good Manufacturing Practice) and In-depth understanding of good documentation practices in a GMP environment.
- Knowledge of PC spreadsheet, word processing, and database applications.
- Multi-level profile access to SAP Quality module is preferred.
“Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status.”
Primary Work LocationUSA MD - Hunt Valley
Work ShiftUS BD 1st Shift 730am-4pm (United States of America)
What makes a successful Quality Professional at BD? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
Advancing the world of health™
BD is one of the largest global medical technology companies in the world and is advancing the world of health™ by improving medical discovery, diagnostics and the delivery of care. BD helps customers enhance outcomes, lower costs, increase efficiencies, improve safety and expand access to health care.
BD is unique in how fully dedicated it is to a specific disease state. It makes it clear how the work we do directly impacts the daily lives of the patients we serve.
Senior Director Quality Management
To know that our products touch 30 million people with diabetes around the globe is powerful and fuels our teams to deliver best in class products to them each and every day.
It is inspiring to see BD products to be used globally to advance human healthcare.
Manager Medical Laboratory