Be part of something bigger at BD. Here, you’ll join a driven, agile engineering team working in a startup-like environment that has the backing and resources of a Fortune 500 company. In engineering, you could be involved in everything from operations, production and construction to information technology and maintenance environments, all while analyzing and developing solutions to further our engineering capabilities. You’ll use your talent and track record of solving complex problems to achieve one singular goal: advancing the world of health™. At BD, you can make a true difference of one.
Job Description SummaryReporting to the Sr. Staff Engineer, Molding Team Lead for BD IDS Operations Engineering, the Staff Engineer – Project Manager, Molding role is responsible for the overall creation, management and organization of assigned projects. The scope of responsibility will go from project inception and project charter generation through implementing the project in production. These project scopes will include but not be limited to significant capacity expansions, mold transfers, quality improvements, operational excellence and new technology projects.
As its primary function, the Operations Engineering Molding Team works extensively with BD IDS plant locations and external suppliers to deliver on significant capacity expansion, quality improvement and operational excellence projects as well as key technical development efforts. The Operations Engineering Team partners with BD IDS plants and supplier engineering teams to identify, communicate and support the adoption of best practices.
Primary responsibilities also includes leading cross functional teams to implement projects following the BD Global Product Development System (GPDS). This role works closely with cross functional team members and groups at internal IDS plants and at external suppliers to implement these initiatives.
Knowledge / Technical Competency:
- Demonstrates in-depth understanding of injection molding and related manufacturing process like Injection blow molding, assembly, product design, materials, metrology, high volume manufacturing, etc. This role will be required to directly apply this technical expertise as they lead projects.
- In partnership with plants, suppliers and cross functional core teams, develops technical and business process solutions to complex project objectives.
- Possesses technical and business skills for effective decision making and directing overall project success.
- Develops technical and business process solutions to medium scale and moderate complexity project opportunities. Leads these projects through all stages of program implementation, from concept generation to production launch.
- Develop business case and justification for project opportunities such as significant capacity expansions, mold transfers, quality improvements, operational excellence and new technology projects
- Responsible for the creation of the project work breakdown structures, risk management, integrated business plans and meeting product requirements. Leads the cross functional development of project architecture for each functional area, synthesizes functional plans and identifies critical interdependencies to drive successful execution of the project.
- Achieve project and business objectives by managing projects through the GPDS phases – Idea, Planning, Development, Qualification and Launch
- Develop and communicate full-scale project plans and manage plan execution using project management best practices, defining clear deliverables, roles and responsibilities for project team members required for specific projects or initiatives
Cross- Functional Collaboration:
- Manage teams of cross functional associates and coordinates resources to achieve project and Business goals, works with additional business functions, global manufacturing sites and external vendors to achieve project goals.
- Works with both internal and external product design and development teams to ensure robust manufacturability of products and ensure adherence to product specifications
- Demonstrate leadership, learning agility and action orientation when facing uncertainty. Instill confidence through leadership and actions.
- Implements project expectations and outcomes, communicates strategical and technical direction to team members, stakeholders, and external vendors in a timely manner.
- Interacts with functional managers and business leaders to communicate regarding critical project risks, questions, or challenges.
- Ability to communicate complex technical and business issues completely, concisely, and effectively to enable high-quality decision making and drive cross-functional alignment
- Travel to BD plants and vendor locations as needed, approximately 25%
- Assists in strategy development for molding operations function
- Requires a B.S. Degree in Engineering or A.S. Degree in Engineering and equivalent job experience.
- PMP Certification preferred
- 7-10 years of experience in engineering, project management, new product development and / or in the design and implementation of manufacturing equipment and processes.
- Experience in medical injection molding, injection blow molding process specific to IDS business line needs.
- Experience working with diverse molding technologies, press manufacturers & auxiliary equipment.
- Experience working with all levels of manufacturing plant personnel
- Experience in successful execution of change management.
- Strong Communication and interpersonal skills
- Critical thinking and accountability
- Problem Solving and time management skills
- Knowledge of GMP requirements and Change Management.
“Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status.”
Primary Work LocationUSA MD - Sparks - 7 Loveton Circle
What makes a successful Engineer Professional at BD? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Team player
Advancing the world of health™
BD is one of the largest global medical technology companies in the world and is advancing the world of health™ by improving medical discovery, diagnostics and the delivery of care. BD helps customers enhance outcomes, lower costs, increase efficiencies, improve safety and expand access to health care.
As a new employee what I like most about BD are the many learning and professional developmental opportunities for growth offered. It is good to know that there are so many resources to choose from.
Since joining BD, I really have liked the people I work with on a daily basis and the collaboration towards common goals.
Senior Program Manager
BD is full of passionate, loyal, and driven people that have a common goal of advancing healthcare without sacrificing quality or service.