Associate Territory Manager - Great Lakes Region
Job Description Summary
The Associate Territory Manager (ATM) is primarily responsible for providing field level support to physicians and other clinical professionals for the Interventional Surgery division. Working closely with field sales and Marketing, the ATM will execute field level surgical case support and professional training plans that help achieve annual sales targets. This includes 80% travel using extended stays in a field based territory to build strong and lasting customer relationships. Customers include physicians, nurses, technicians, administrators, office staff, sales personnel and other hospital personnel. If successful, this role will eventually lead to formal territory responsibility as a Territory Manager. Associate Territory Managers must be open to relocation anywhere in the U.S. to assume responsibility for an open territory.
The Associate Territory Manager will be responsible for supporting BD’s Infection Prevention and Biosurgery products with physicians, clinicians, materials management and other key decision makers. Other responsibilities include:
- Coordinates with field sales, the logistics, timing, duration, strategy and execution of field level customer training and technical support of clinical cases
- Works with sales management in prioritizing targeted customers, cases and training events
- Supports the development of regional physician proctors to help with formal and informal training activities
- Conducts training and in-servicing for hospital surgery staff and support personnel
- Supports the development of regional centers of excellence and works with Marketing on the execution of territory physician training seminars
- Provides support for regional marketing events, conventions and symposia
- Performs special projects and other duties as assigned
- Maintains equipment, advertising, and promotional matter in a presentable and orderly manner
- Completes all paperwork on time and thoroughly; Keeps accurate up-to date account records; Utilizes sales funnel to set goals and target accounts
- Proper use of productive selling time; i.e., calls in late afternoon with a minimum of three O.R.s per day and four surgeon contacts per day. Doctors not available at the hospital will be contacted in their office
- Acquires comprehensive knowledge of prices, discounts, availability of each product and competition according to quality and quantity
- Maintains adequate supply of promotional tools (samples, brochures, videos)
- Must have all basic product knowledge and acquire knowledge of all new products added to the line and apply this knowledge to adequately conduct in-service education to all hospitals
- Stays within expense budget
- Knows and effectively uses selling presentations as well as standard answers to objections
- Continually increases knowledge of trends (business, technological, sociological), sales skills, promotion techniques, information on new product, and sales forecasting
- Maintains relationships with the District Manager, Territory Managers, and customers
- Plans sales calls on a continuous basis and organizes time for effective coverage of the territory. A daily written plan is to be used
- Develops thorough knowledge of company policies and the ability to interpret them to customers and prospects
- Maintains the company car in a clean, orderly, and serviceable condition
- Uses to the best advantage nurses lectures, journal club meetings, local seminars, resident lectures, hospital displays and evaluation committee product presentations
- Bachelor's degree in related discipline
- 0-2 years general sales experience preferred
- Experience working in a team environment, particularly with sales people
- The ability to work in an operating room environment is required
- Strong interpersonal, oral, communication, organizational and planning skills
- Good judgment and maturity
- Willing to relocate to fill an open Territory Manager position.
- Ability to travel 80%, including overnight travel
- Must possess and maintain a valid drivers’ license and a driving record satisfactory to the Company
- Must be able to meet and maintain customer/medical facility access requirements
- Understand a needs analysis approach to sales, the product buyer concept, and contract administration
- Understands principles of group purchasing to include research, formulating and recommending a proposal
- Demonstrated ability to discuss the various products in relation to the human body
- Familiarity with medical and surgical terminology
- Proven ability to build strong relationships with Internal Customers – Sales Training, Marketing, National Accounts, Customer Service, Contracts, Field Sales Team and External Customers – KOLs, Surgeons, Physicians, Nurses, and Sourcing
- Must live within assigned region
- Must possess and maintain a valid state-issued driver's license and meet BD's auto safety standards.
ATM must live in Minnesota, Michigan or Wisconsin near a major airport.
Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status, or any other protected status.
Primary Work LocationUSA IL - Vernon Hills
Recommendto a friend
"Purpose driven company where associates work every day to make healthcare better. A lot of great initiatives going on to make BD the best MedTech company in the world."
Anonymous, Franklin Lakes, NJ