Be part of something bigger at BD. Here, you’ll help us share our innovative solutions with more clinics, physicians, pharmacies and medical entities which will in turn benefit the health and well-being of people and patients all over the nation. It’s an exciting, challenging and rewarding role, but you’ll be working from a place of strength thanks to our trusted name, and the belief in our products that you’ll quickly develop. Here, you’ll be channeling all your sales skills and experience into one singular goal: advancing the world of health™. At BD, you can make a true difference of one.
Job Description SummaryReporting to the Director of Science and Design, the Application Scientist will support the Company’s products, FlowJo, SeqGeq, and others in development. The Application Scientist supports customers, provides technical support, promotes sales, and drives market development through application expertise, field demonstrations and seminars as well as conference presentations.
The Application Scientist serves as a technical expert in a collaborative effort with our sales team to drive market development, and the conduit of customer needs to engineering development. The position requires significant direct interaction with existing and potential customers, and carries an expectation of 50% travel, predominantly within the southeast United States. We are looking for applicants passionate about science and helping researchers around the world streamline their single cell data analysis, who would like to join a dynamic team of Ph.D. scientists who support and direct our scientific, training, sales, and marketing efforts. If you consider yourself an outlier and would jump at the chance to bring the next generation of single cell research tools to market, please apply.
BD is a global medical technology company that is advancing the world of health by improving medical discovery, diagnostics and the delivery of care. BD leads in patient and health care worker safety and the technologies that enable medical research and clinical laboratories. The company provides innovative solutions that help advance medical research and genomics, enhance the diagnosis of infectious disease and cancer, improve medication management, promote infection prevention, equip surgical and interventional procedures, and support the management of diabetes. The company partners with organizations around the world to address some of the most challenging global health issues. BD has over 60,000 associates across 50 countries who work in close collaboration with customers and partners to help enhance outcomes, lower health care delivery costs, increase efficiencies, improve health care safety and expand access to health. For more information on BD, please visit bd.com.
Essential Job Functions
- Provide high quality support, including customer visits, demonstrations, seminars/workshops, as well as phone, webinar, and email support.
- Identify and work with researchers to foster new product introduction and acceptance in the scientific community.
- Partner with Engineering for testing, specifying existing and future software components and assessing development priorities.
- Travel to key customers and prospects to provide technical consultation, create new demand, assist with sales, increase customer utilization, expand customer networks, and increase awareness.
- Promote solutions through participation in technical conferences, trade shows, publications, seminars, and symposiums.
- Participate in application design, documentation, data analysis, and authoring of application notes and white papers.
- Keep up to date with the scientific community and track major technical/application trends to support improvements in product positioning, selling strategies, and product/workflow development.
- Ph.D. in Cell Biology, Immunology, Hematology, Molecular Biology, or similar field with experience in a lab or technical role
- Must have a solid background in biological sciences, immunology, stem cell, or cancer biology with understanding of procedures, concepts and lab experience.
- Minimum 5 years hands-on flow cytometry experience in academia or industry
- Ability to build and leverage strong industry networks.
- Ability to use computer science and information technology to solve problems in life science data management, analysis, and visualization.
- Ability to travel up to 50% of the time
- Practical experience using FlowJo or SeqGeq.
- Practical experience in using R, Python, Java, C, or similar.
- Practical sales experience, understanding of the sales process and ability to influence customer buying decisions.
Company Background / Culture
BD Life Sciences is a leading provider of products for the safe collection and transport of diagnostics specimens, as well as instruments and reagent systems to accurately detect a broad range of infectious diseases, healthcare-associated infections and cancers.
Within the BD Life Sciences segment, the Informatics team has significantly contributed to critical advances in medicine and life sciences through various Informatics solutions including the flow cytometry data analysis tool FlowJo® - one of the most-popular flow cytometry data analysis tools world-wide. This tool and other solutions developed by the Informatics Platform drive immunological research, contribute to progress in cancer diagnostics and treatment and helped fight against HIV/AIDS and many other diseases. For more information on the Informatics Platform, please visit flowjo.com.
Primary Work LocationUSA OR Ashland - FlowJo
Additional LocationsUSA FL - Miami, USA GA - Covington BMD, USA GA - Covington Global Dist Center, USA GA - Grayson, USA GA - Madison, USA NC - Cary, USA NC - Durham (Tripath Oncology), USA NC - Four Oaks, USA NC - Research Triangle Park
What makes a successful Sales Professional at BD? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
Advancing the world of health™
BD is one of the largest global medical technology companies in the world and is advancing the world of health™ by improving medical discovery, diagnostics and the delivery of care. BD helps customers enhance outcomes, lower costs, increase efficiencies, improve safety and expand access to health care.
I’m proud to work at BDI Surgery and BD because the work we do every day optimizes surgical outcomes and enhances patients’ lives.
VP Sales & Commercial Excellence
Every day we focus on bringing innovative solutions to patients living with diabetes. The patient is at the heart of everything we do.
VP Marketing and Commercial Excellence
Getting our customers the right information on time so they can focus on their science and diagnostics needs is why I come to work every day.
Vice President Global Marketing