Be part of something bigger at BD. Here, you’ll join a driven, agile engineering team working in a startup-like environment that has the backing and resources of a Fortune 500 company. In engineering, you could be involved in everything from operations, production and construction to information technology and maintenance environments, all while analyzing and developing solutions to further our engineering capabilities. You’ll use your talent and track record of solving complex problems to achieve one singular goal: advancing the world of health™. At BD, you can make a true difference of one.
Job Description SummaryWith direction from the Sr. Staff Engineer, Molding, the incumbent shall provide a leading molding role in planning and execution of medical device projects for the BD Interventional (BDI) Business. He/ She shall provide molded plastic part design feedback and be in the molding subject matter expert (SME) for cross functional teams as applicable. In this capacity, the incumbent must be capable of specifying molding equipment, maintain timelines, associated project budgets and actively de-risk all aspects for the molding development. This role will require regular updates to the supporting management, cross-function teams(s) and BDI Operational leadership. This position will require 25% travel that can be unevenly distributed throughout the year and can exceed 25% when business requirements are needed.
- Provide molding expertise in plastic components, design for manufacturability /mold-ability, design for improved / best in class tooling and scientific molding principles.
- Communicates, leads and executes molding activities; this includes but is not limited to tool design reviews, factory acceptance, site acceptance, process develop and validation of designated tooling.
- Actively participates in New Product Development (NPD) core teams as required
- Works both independently and/or collectively to develop project plans and execution of prioritizing and scheduling assignments to meet business goals.
- Able to train, mentor and counsel core team members in the area of proper manufacturability of low and high volume molded parts.
- Creates, develops and maintains relationships with vendors to posture BD to save time, money and risk to the business.
- Regularly interfaces with various R&D, Quality, Manufacturing, etc. functions to establish collaborative and reciprocal relationships to overcome molding improvement and new product opportunities.
- Other items as require by manager
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES:
- Bachelor's Degree in Plastics Engineering Technology or equivalent.
- 3+ years of relevant injection molding and tooling experience.
- Ability to interpret, edit and correct part drawings, solid models and molding simulations
- Understanding of GD&T
- Understanding of project management and budgeting
- Ability to execute scientific molding principles with a full understanding
- Internal: Plant molding engineering personnel, BDX molding engineering personnel, product design / R&D personnel, quality personnel and metrology personnel, etc.
- External: Molding equipment (IMMs, molds, etc.) vendors, sales engineers, contract engineers, metrology vendors, etc.
Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status.
Primary Work LocationUSA NJ - Franklin Lakes
Additional LocationsUSA NC - Research Triangle Park
What makes a successful Engineer Professional at BD? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Team player
Advancing the world of health™
BD is one of the largest global medical technology companies in the world and is advancing the world of health™ by improving medical discovery, diagnostics and the delivery of care. BD helps customers enhance outcomes, lower costs, increase efficiencies, improve safety and expand access to health care.
As a new employee what I like most about BD are the many learning and professional developmental opportunities for growth offered. It is good to know that there are so many resources to choose from.
Since joining BD, I really have liked the people I work with on a daily basis and the collaboration towards common goals.
Senior Program Manager
BD is full of passionate, loyal, and driven people that have a common goal of advancing healthcare without sacrificing quality or service.