Staff Engineer, Molding
Job Description SummaryWith limited direction from the Associate Director of Molding, the incumbent shall provide a leading molding role in planning and execution of medical device projects for the BD Interventional (BDI) Business. He/ She must provide molded plastic part design expertise and be in the molding subject matter expert (SME) for cross functional teams. The person shall be the teams molding SME, which requires expertise in in molded plastic part design for mold-ability, tool design and robustness and process development starting from concept through commercial realization. In this capacity, the incumbent must be capable of specifying mold equipment and its supporting equipment, maintain timelines and associated project budgets and actively de-risk all aspects for the molding development. This role will require regular updates to the Associate Director of molding, cross-function teams(s) and BDI Operational leadership. This position will require 25% travel that can be unevenly distributed throughout the year and can exceed 25% when business requirements are needed.
- Provide molding expertise in plastic components, design for manufacturability /mold-ability, design for improved / best in class tooling and scientific molding principles.
- Communicates, strategizes, leads and executes all molding activities; this includes but is not limited to tool design reviews, factory acceptance, site acceptance, process develop and validation of designated tooling.
- Actively participates on New Product Development (NPD) core teams as required
- Works both independently and/or collectively to develop project plans and execution of prioritizing and scheduling assignments to meet business goals.
- Able to train, mentor, counsel and at times manage assistants and team members in the area of proper manufacturability of low and high volume molded parts.
- Creates, develops and maintains relationships with vendors to posture BD to save time, money and risk to the business.
- Regularly interfaces with various R&D, Quality, Manufacturing, etc. functions to establish collaborative and reciprocal relationships to overcome molding improvement and new product opportunities.
- Seeks, evaluates and proposes technology and new molding technology strategy to leverage for development
- Other items as require by manager
EXPERIENCE and EDUCATION:
- B.S. in Plastics Engineering or equivalent
- M.S. in Plastic Engineering is preferred
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in managing Injection molding related projects and programs.
- History of program / project management in molding field.
- Ability to make changes to part design for optimal moldability / manufacturing and tooling.
- Demonstrated leadership and considered a molding SME within functional groups with direct responsibility of driving successful molding project outcomes.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES:
- Ability to interpret, edit and correct part drawings, solid models and molding simulations
- Firm understanding of GD&T
- Firm understanding of project management and budgeting
- Six Sigma certification desirable
- Ability to execute scientific molding principles with a full understanding of DOE processes leveraging statistical software, I.e. Minitab
* Internal: Plant molding engineering personnel, BDX molding engineering personnel, product design / R&D personnel, quality personnel and metrology personnel, etc.
* External: Molding equipment (IMMs, molds, etc.) vendors, sales engineers, contract engineers, metrology vendors, etc.
Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status.
Primary Work LocationUSA NJ - Franklin Lakes
Additional LocationsUSA NC - Research Triangle Park
Recommendto a friend
"Purpose driven company where associates work every day to make healthcare better. A lot of great initiatives going on to make BD the best MedTech company in the world."
Anonymous, Franklin Lakes, NJ