Director of Innovation, VAD
Job Description SummaryThe Director of Innovation will be responsible for igniting the front-end innovation engine for VAD to accelerate global business growth by identifying and leveraging organic and inorganic resources in biotechnology, digital technologies, and clinical workflows. Reporting to the Director of Vascular Access Technology and indirectly to the MDS Chief Engineer, this leader will serve as a core member and facilitator of the VAD Innovation Council (IC) and a member of VAD R&D Leadership Team.
BD is currently seeking a Director of Innovation for the Vascular Access Device global business group (BG) within BD Medical. This leader is empowered to deliver market shaping innovative technologies, products, and solutions for vascular access to enable transformation of medical practice and serve as a VAD innovation evangelist across BD.
The Director of Innovation is responsible for building and leading the front-end innovation engine for VAD to accelerate global business growth by identifying and leveraging organic and inorganic resources in biotechnology, digital technologies, and clinical workflows. Reporting to the Director of Vascular Access Technology and indirectly to the MDS Chief Engineer, this leader will serve as a core member and facilitator of the VAD Innovation Council (IC) and a member of VAD R&D LT.
The role is high visibility, high impact, and strategic with significant cross-functional leadership responsibilities to deliver seamless and transformational innovation for the VAD business group. The incumbent is expected to extensively leverage their global networks including industry and value chain partners, incubators, accelerators, and academic/government labs, to build internal organizational competencies across the BD network. Included in this is licensing and acquisition opportunities, initial technology and solution assessments, rapid prototypes and pilots, and due diligence processes.
S/he will build a high performing, globally distributed (direct and indirect) team capable of key translating global macro trends in Vascular Access and adjacent segments, clinical, biotechnology and digital developments into identified and unidentified customer needs to be delivered through product/technology roadmaps.
The position is based in Salt Lake City, UT.
- Partner cross functionally and cross platform to define a VAD 2–5-year innovation & digital strategy and annual operating plan by translating global expertise of customer needs, market dynamics, biotechnology, digital technology, macro-trends, & the competitive landscape.
- Prioritize innovation developments and optimize by achieving cross-functional business alignment on strategic initiatives. Contribute to strategic planning and roadmap development.
- Define and annually update the ‘Future of VAD’ from a clinical and hospital/practice management perspective by leveraging evolving global insights.
- Partner on due diligence programs for external technologies.
- Serve as the SME and lead technology and concept exploration and ideation processes for VAD.
- Champion and contribute to the development of IDRs/Patents across VAD. Partner with IP Legal teams to prepare for, facilitate and IP management meetings. Drive continued growth of high value internal and external IP.
- Promote VADs innovation leadership brand by participation in scientific/technical associations and conferences through leadership and podium roles.
Global Innovation Network
- Develop and document a targeted global innovation network spanning BD, universities, external companies, individual researchers, associations, etc. Establish a VAD ‘footprint’ at existing global centers of excellence (internal and external) and partner to build innovation capability if needed.
- Establish global KOL Innovation Board(s) to develop and shape future VAD needs.
- Lead next-generation technology and solution scouting activities (technology radars) and competitive benchmarking.
- Evaluate licensing, acquisition, partnerships, and business case development. Form teams and initiate programs as needed.
- Identify and apply for funding opportunities including government and foundation grants.
- Partner with VAD R&D LT members to identify and develop VAD team innovation competencies.
- Develop and maintain concept roadmaps focused on pre-development programs aligned to commercial needs.
- Partner to establish and prioritize resources and budgets to deliver the roadmap to plan.
- Establish a high performance, continuously improving agile concept development environment.
- Partner with Engineering and the PMO to align schedules and outputs ensuring efficient and effective development program starts. If development is not ready to start, package the concept work and place on the ‘innovation shelf.’
- Facilitate ‘science fairs’ and technology presentations for internal BD leadership and external partners/customers as needed.
Primary Work LocationUSA UT - Salt Lake City BAS
Recommendto a friend
"Purpose driven company where associates work every day to make healthcare better. A lot of great initiatives going on to make BD the best MedTech company in the world."
Anonymous, Franklin Lakes, NJ