Be part of something bigger at BD. Here, you’ll join a driven, agile engineering team working in a startup-like environment that has the backing and resources of a Fortune 500 company. In engineering, you could be involved in everything from operations, production and construction to information technology and maintenance environments, all while analyzing and developing solutions to further our engineering capabilities. You’ll use your talent and track record of solving complex problems to achieve one singular goal: advancing the world of health™. At BD, you can make a true difference of one.
Job Description SummaryThis position is primarily responsible for fabrication of general purpose and specialty tools, jigs, fixtures, gages, with minimal supervision. Other duties may include developing tooling concepts, providing design for manufacture and assembly recommendations, and performing final tooling assembly and evaluation. This position assists R&D Engineering in seeking out and evaluating optimum project and program tooling requirements consistent with the short and long-term needs and goals of the business. The incumbent will play a significant role and make meaningful contributions to developing and sustaining unique manufacturing process and technologies.
This position requires:
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Completion of formal Journeyman level tool making program or machining certification with tool making emphasis PLUS,
- Three to five (2-5) years of tool making AND two to three (1-2) years of tool design experience or equivalency.
- Proficient in use of desktop computer workstation with Microsoft Windows® operating system and Microsoft Outlook®, Word®,, and Excel®.
- Demonstrated proficiency with computer aided manufacturing (CAM) software (e.g., MasterCAM®, SurfCAM®, FeatureCAM®, Virtual Gibbs®, etc.). Preference for FeatureCAM experience.
- Capable user of standard metrology tools including calipers micrometers, height gauges, and pin gauges etc.
- Ability to accurately interpret engineering documentation.
- Ability to speak, read, and comprehend English.
The incumbent must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the duties and responsibilities.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
The following duties and responsibilities are intended to be representative of the work performed by the incumbent(s) in this position and are not all-inclusive. The omission of a specific duty or responsibility will not preclude it from the position.
- Conceives of, designs, fabricates, develops, and evaluates tools and systems of tools, dies, gages, fixtures and molds required for safe and cost-effective manufacturing of high-quality medical device products.
- Prepares written proposals, concepts, and cost estimates for tools and tooling programs.
- Consults with R&D Engineering and Operations personnel on tooling and equipment implementation and best practices to assure optimum approaches to cost effective manufacturing.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities Continued:
- Collaborates with R&D and Operations Engineering personnel in the determination and standardization of product designs or redesigns.
- Provides operating and maintenance instructions, spare parts lists, and consulting service on construction, training and operation of special tools.
- Prepares specifications, obtains quotations, analyzes and recommends purchase of machine tools and corresponding tooling packages.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Demonstrated ability to safely operate and setup manual and computer numerically controlled machines by using (CAM).
- Skilled in precision measurement techniques and use of standard metrology best practices.
- Capable of accurately interpreting dimensioning and geometric tolerancing.
- In-depth experience in tool design, low cost tooling, jigs and fixtures, materials and processes.
- Ability to visualize and devise new practices and methods based on established principles.
- Thorough, detailed analysis and understanding of tool needs and programs.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work well with other in a cross functional team environment.
This position is principally in a machine shop environment and requires the incumbent to sit, stand and perform some general office functions. The incumbent may also be required to lift up to twenty five pounds occasionally. The incumbent may be required to stand for extended periods of time. Bending, stooping and reaching are also frequently required.
Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status.
Primary Work LocationUSA UT - Salt Lake City BAS
What makes a successful Engineer Professional at BD? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Team player
Advancing the world of health™
BD is one of the largest global medical technology companies in the world and is advancing the world of health™ by improving medical discovery, diagnostics and the delivery of care. BD helps customers enhance outcomes, lower costs, increase efficiencies, improve safety and expand access to health care.
As a new employee what I like most about BD are the many learning and professional developmental opportunities for growth offered. It is good to know that there are so many resources to choose from.
Since joining BD, I really have liked the people I work with on a daily basis and the collaboration towards common goals.
Senior Program Manager
BD is full of passionate, loyal, and driven people that have a common goal of advancing healthcare without sacrificing quality or service.