Senior Sales & Use Tax Accountant (Auditing Indirect Tax)
Job Description Summary
Be part of something bigger!
BD is one of the largest global medical technology companies in the world and is advancing the world of health by improving medical discovery, diagnostics and the delivery of care. We have over 65,000 employees and a presence in virtually every country around the world to address some of the most challenging global health issues.
The Sr. Sales and Use Tax Accountant will oversee the daily operations of Sales and Use Tax auditing / compliance along with property tax and tax projects. The Sr. Sales and Use Tax Accountant will be instrumental in developing relationships with external auditors, department standards and contributing to continuous improvements.
The Sr Sales Tax Accountant responsibilities
- Represent BD in indirect tax audits (sales and use tax audits) for all BD legal entities (50 states and Canada)
- Work with auditors from notice of intent to audit to completion with establish timeline/deadlines
- Reconcile source data to sales and use tax returns to ensure accuracy and completeness prior to data distribution.
- Minimize audit exposure by understanding source data, researching products sold and taxability, and research items held taxable by auditor and provide applicable statute.
- Proactively fix issues found in audit such taxability, exemption certificate, customer issues, etc.
- Work with business units, IT, third party consultants to compile accurate data
- Perform tax research and provide taxability guidance to stakeholders.
- Review sales contracts and procurement contracts to identify sales tax issues, and recommend solutions.
- Ensure compliance responsibilities in all states and businesses, evaluate state regulations and acceptable accounting practices, provide service to internal and external customers, and evaluate complete assignments for conformance with applicable policies, regulations and tax laws.
- Identify and implement process improvements in the Sales and Use Tax Department.
- Ensure financial reports are prepared and paid accurately and timely in order to avoid penalties.
- Maintain assigned GL account reconciliations while preventing financial risk to the company.
- Assist in various departmental projects, taking a lead role in planning, coordinating and facilitating projects through their completion.
Education & Experience
- Minimum B.S. in Accounting, Finance or Economics required with CPA preferred
- Minimum 5 years' experience in Sales and Use Tax compliance and audit
- Ability to lead and influence cross-functionally and establish relationships within BD and with external auditors
- Knowledge of EDI capabilities
- Excellent Analytical skills and ability to manipulate excel data
- Experience with ERP (SAP/JDE) and Tax Software (Sabrix and/or Vertex)
- Knowledge of SOX controls & compliance Requirements
- Understanding of GAAP Accounting
- BI/BW Expertise
- Lean Six Sigma Certified would be an asset
Work Environment / Travel
- Work in an office setting onsite at BD San Antonio (with potential for hybrid role between home and office based) (There is no relocation/travel coverage available)
Why join us?
A career at BD means being part of a team that values your opinions and contributions and that empowers you to bring your authentic self to work. Here our associates can fulfill their life’s purpose through the work that they do every day.
You will learn and work alongside inspirational leaders and colleagues who are equally passionate and committed to fostering an inclusive, growth-centered, and rewarding culture. Our Total Rewards program — which includes competitive pay, benefits, continuous learning, recognition, career growth, and life balance components — is designed to support the varying needs of our diverse and global associates.
To learn more about BD visit https://jobs.bd.com/
Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status, or any other protected status.
Primary Work LocationUSA TX - San Antonio
Recommendto a friend
"Purpose driven company where associates work every day to make healthcare better. A lot of great initiatives going on to make BD the best MedTech company in the world."
Anonymous, Franklin Lakes, NJ