Senior Sales & Use Tax Accountant
Job Description Summary
The Sr. Sales & Use Tax Accountant reporting to the Indirect Tax Lead, will oversee the daily operations of Sales and Use Tax compliance, property tax, audits and tax projects. The Sr. Sales and Use Tax Accountant will be instrumental in developing and maintaining the department processes and standards while implementing continuous improvements. This position will assist in the day-to-day operations of the Sales and Use Tax Group.
The responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Oversee sales and use tax and property tax returns for all legal entities from compile source data to reviewing filed tax returns. Work with business units, IT, third party consultants to compile accurate data effectively. Ensure data ties to general ledger and payment request from third party preparers.
- Perform tax research and provide taxability guidance to stakeholders.
- Write desktop procedures to document processes and modify as needed.
- Review sales contracts and procurement contracts to identify sales tax issues, and recommend solutions.
- Ensure compliance responsibilities in all states and businesses, evaluate state regulations and acceptable accounting practices, provide service to internal and external customers, and evaluate complete assignments for conformance with applicable policies, regulations and tax laws.
- Complete sales and use tax audits. Work with auditors from notice of intent to audit to completion. Modify taxability in tax systems as needed based on findings.
- Identify and implement process improvements in the Sales and Use Tax Department.
- Ensure financial reports are prepared and paid accurately and timely in order to avoid penalties.
- Maintain assigned GL account reconciliations while preventing financial risk to the company.
- Assist in various departmental projects, taking a lead role in planning, coordinating and facilitating projects through their completion.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience
- B.S. in Accounting required.
- CPA preferred
- A minimum of 5 years experience in Sales and Use Tax compliance and audit
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of EDI capabilities
- Strong Microsoft Excel & Word skills (VLOOKUP, Pivot Tables, Charts)
- Excellent Analytical and Problem Solving skills
- Sabrix and/or Vertex Experience
- Excellent Communication Skills
- ERP Experience
- Knowledge of SOX controls & compliance Requirements
- Understanding of GAAP Accounting
- SAP/JDE experience
- BI/BW Expertise
- Lean Six Sigma Certified
BD and Covid-19: To ensure the safety of our associates, BD supports remote work where possible. This position is based in the listed location, but is temporarily remote-based due to Covid-19. Any offer of employment is contingent upon the candidate reporting to work at the site if/when associates are requested to return to the workplace.
Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status, or any other protected status.
Primary Work LocationUSA TX - San Antonio
Recommendto a friend
"Purpose driven company where associates work every day to make healthcare better. A lot of great initiatives going on to make BD the best MedTech company in the world."
Anonymous, Franklin Lakes, NJ