Be part of something bigger at BD. Here, you’ll help us share our innovative solutions with more clinics, physicians, pharmacies and medical entities which will in turn benefit the health and well-being of people and patients all over the nation. It’s an exciting, challenging and rewarding role, but you’ll be working from a place of strength thanks to our trusted name, and the belief in our products that you’ll quickly develop. Here, you’ll be channeling all your sales skills and experience into one singular goal: advancing the world of health™. At BD, you can make a true difference of one.
Job Description Summary
This is a field based sales role in the San Antonio Texas market (South) and Corpus Christi area.
The Territory Manager (TM) will manage a territory base and expand the sales of BD products using a balanced selling approach that involves a focus on key differentiating products, programs and services within the infection prevention and biosurgery space. The TM is responsible for attaining sales goals established by the Company within the designated territory budget, increasing sales of current accounts, and establishing new accounts.
The Territory Manager will be responsible for supporting BD’s Infection Prevention and Biosurgery products with physicians, clinicians, materials management and other key decision makers. Other essential functions of the position include:
- Presents, educates, and provides in-services on the process/procedure of properly using the Company’s products to surgeons, OR staff, and other individuals. These duties include, but not limited to:
- Providing on-site technical support during procedures to ensure proper use of the products. Training and educating physicians and hospital staff on the use of the products. Ensuring surgeons and staff have the most current product information available. Ensuring effective utilization of the products by all trained surgeons within territory.
- Maintains thorough knowledge and capabilities of BD’s products, channels, and methods of distribution.
- Responsible for meeting territory sales and profitablility goals.
- Responsible for developing new prospects and establishing new customers.
- Informs customers of new and current products, backorders, general order status, current pricing structure, company policy changes, and forecasts for new needs.
- Achieves prompt, mutually satisfactory solution to customers’ complaints.
- Keeps promises and appointments. Exercises courtesy and ethical manners at all times.
- Attends customers’ meetings and tradeshows with post-convention feedback.
- Informs District Manager and Franchise of significant market changes, competitive activity, customers’ credit status, and needed company policy changes. Should be thoroughly knowledgeable of competitive distribution, discounts, local terms, strategy, including strengths and weaknesses.
- Maintains equipment, advertising, and promotional matter in a presentable and orderly manner
- Completes all paperwork on time and thoroughly; Keeps accurate up-to date account records; Utilizes sales funnel to set goals and target accounts; Devises and follows route plan guided by customers’ buying habits, current volume of orders, location of prospects, and competitive circumstances.
- Proper use of productive selling time; i.e., calls in late afternoon with a minimum of three O.R.s per day and four surgeon contacts per day. Doctors not available at the hospital will be contacted in their office
- Acquires comprehensive knowledge of prices, discounts, availability of each product and competition according to quality and quantity
- Maintains adequate supply of promotional tools (samples, brochures, videos)
- Must have all basic product knowledge and acquire knowledge of all new products added to the line and apply this knowledge to adequately conduct in-service education to all hospitals
- Stays within expense budget
- Knows and effectively uses selling presentations as well as standard answers to objections
- Continually increases knowledge of trends (business, technological, sociological), sales skills, promotion techniques, information on new product, and sales forecasting
- Maintains relationships with the District Manager, fellow Territory Managers, and customers
- Plans sales calls on a continuous basis and organizes time for effective coverage of the territory. A daily written plan is to be used
- Develops thorough knowledge of company policies and the ability to interpret them to customers and prospects
- Maintains the company car in a clean, orderly, and serviceable condition
- Uses to the best advantage nurses lectures, journal club meetings, local seminars, resident lectures, hospital displays and evaluation committee product presentations
- Bachelor's degree in related discipline
- A minimum of 2 – 3 years of relevant sales experienced is required.
- Operating room sales/medical device experience is preferred.
- Documentation of successful sales performance is required.
- The ability to work in an operating room environment is required.
- Strong interpersonal, oral, communication, organizational and planning skills
- Must possess and maintain a valid drivers’ license and a driving record satisfactory to the Company. Driving records may be monitored on an annual basis or as needed.
- Must poses and maintain a criminal background satisfactory to BD. Criminal backgrounds may be monitored on an annual basis or as needed.
- Proven ability to build strong relationships with Internal Customers – Sales Training, Marketing, National Accounts, Customer Service, Contracts, Field Sales Team and External Customers – KOLs, Surgeons, Physicians, Nurses, and Sourcing.
- Thorough understanding of the needs/analysis approach to sales.
- Understands contract administration and group purchasing.
- Must live within assigned region
- Travel – Approximately 80% of work time will be spent traveling, including overnight.
- Must possess and maintain a valid state-issued driver's license and meet BD's auto safety standards.
Additional Desirable Qualification Skills and Knowledge:
- Procedure knowledge adequate to illustrate convincingly the benefits of BD’s products.
- Basic anatomy – Ability to discuss the various products in relation to the human body.
Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status, or any other protected status.
Primary Work LocationUSA CA - San Diego Bldg A&B
What makes a successful Sales Professional at BD? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
Advancing the world of health™
BD is one of the largest global medical technology companies in the world and is advancing the world of health™ by improving medical discovery, diagnostics and the delivery of care. BD helps customers enhance outcomes, lower costs, increase efficiencies, improve safety and expand access to health care.
I’m proud to work at BDI Surgery and BD because the work we do every day optimizes surgical outcomes and enhances patients’ lives.
VP Sales & Commercial Excellence
Every day we focus on bringing innovative solutions to patients living with diabetes. The patient is at the heart of everything we do.
VP Marketing and Commercial Excellence
Getting our customers the right information on time so they can focus on their science and diagnostics needs is why I come to work every day.
Vice President Global Marketing