Be part of something bigger at BD. Here, you’ll join a driven, agile engineering team working in a startup-like environment that has the backing and resources of a Fortune 500 company. In engineering, you could be involved in everything from operations, production and construction to information technology and maintenance environments, all while analyzing and developing solutions to further our engineering capabilities. You’ll use your talent and track record of solving complex problems to achieve one singular goal: advancing the world of health™. At BD, you can make a true difference of one.
Job Description Summary
Be Part of Advancing the World of Health!
BD is one of the largest global medical technology companies in the world and is advancing the world of health by improving medical discovery, diagnostics, and the delivery of care. We have over 65,000 employees and a presence in virtually every country around the world to address some of the most challenging global health issues.
BD Medical is among the world's leading suppliers of medical devices and a leading innovator in injection- and infusion-based drug delivery. We’re focused on providing innovative solutions to reduce the spread of infection, enhance diabetes treatment and advance drug delivery. With our technical capabilities, the Medication Management Solutions (MMS) team can manage multiple systems and our operational capabilities enable us to have medications available when and where needed, reducing inefficiency and waste for nursing and pharmacy teams.
Our MMS Pyxis business is seeking a highly motivated, self-directed, and experienced Associate Director of Software Engineering to lead the Vanguard software product team.
As an Associate Principal Engineer, Technical Architect, you will be responsible for leading solution architecture and coaching our staff engineers who are an integral part of our tight-knit group of dedicated problem solvers. The ideal candidate should be able to quickly make an impact on the Pyxis ES product line and work with the larger organization to deliver innovative and delightful experience to our customers and associates.
- You have experience working in healthcare.
- You have experience designing highly available, reliable, scalable, multi-tenant and high-performance capabilities.
- You treat security and privacy as first-class citizens when designing solutions.
- You know how to incrementally design and implement an ideal solution.
- In-depth knowledge of industry best practices, technologies, architectures, and emerging technologies specifically in healthcare systems landscape
- Experience delivering long-term architectural solutions for applications at scale leveraging public cloud.
- Experience in architecting, designing, and developing large scale data solutions utilizing a mixture of Big Data and Relational database.
- Experience driving engineering design using Agile process to drive innovation, accelerate decisions and outcomes while minimizing risk.
- Experience in making successful trade-offs that balance the short- and long-term goals and initiatives.
- Ability to work with cross-org stakeholders to plan and deliver critical services.
- Contribute to the development lifecycle in all phases—from initial ideation, to implementation, and testing.
- A strong commitment to mentorship and making your fellow engineers better.
- Extensive experience guiding engineering teams in architecting large-scale, high-throughput environments.
- 10+ years of experience delivering highly scalable and resilient services.
- 7+ years of experience designing secure and scalable services.
- 7+ years of Azure, GCP or AWS cloud services experience.
- In-depth experience delivering geo-distributed architectural solutions.
- Strong ability to orchestrate, maintain, and deploy services using infrastructure as code and containerized deployments.
- Solid working knowledge of Docker and Kubernetes in a production environment.
- Solid working knowledge of distributed event streaming architecture (Kafka preferred).
- Experience building and working in a Continuous Delivery environment.
- Experience in test automation and automation technologies such as Robot, NUnit, Jest, and Selenium.
- Bachelor of Science and 6 years' experience in software engineering OR
- Master of Science and 3 years' experience in software engineering OR
The BD Difference
BD is one of the largest global medical technology companies in the world and is advancing the world of health by improving medical discovery, diagnostics and the delivery of care. We support the heroes on the frontlines of health care by developing innovative technology, services and solutions that help advance both clinical therapy for patients and clinical process for health care providers. BD and our 65,000 employees have a passion and commitment to help enhance the safety and efficiency of clinicians' care delivery process, enable laboratory scientists to accurately detect disease and advance researchers' capabilities to develop the next generation of diagnostics and therapeutics. BD has a presence in virtually every country and partners with organizations around the world to address some of the most complicated global health issues. By working in close collaboration with customers, BD can help enhance outcomes, lower costs, increase efficiencies, improve safety and expand access to health care.
Becton, Dickinson and Company is an EqualOpportunity/AffirmativeAction Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status.
Primary Work LocationUSA CA - San Diego TC Bldg C&D
What makes a successful Engineer Professional at BD? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Team player
Advancing the world of health™
BD is one of the largest global medical technology companies in the world and is advancing the world of health™ by improving medical discovery, diagnostics and the delivery of care. BD helps customers enhance outcomes, lower costs, increase efficiencies, improve safety and expand access to health care.
As a new employee what I like most about BD are the many learning and professional developmental opportunities for growth offered. It is good to know that there are so many resources to choose from.
Since joining BD, I really have liked the people I work with on a daily basis and the collaboration towards common goals.
Senior Program Manager
BD is full of passionate, loyal, and driven people that have a common goal of advancing healthcare without sacrificing quality or service.