Custom Applications Scientist
Job Description SummaryThe responsibilities of the Custom Applications Scientist (CAS) include: Design and development of assays including flow cytometry assays. Technical/scientific customer interactions to capture customer requirements for custom products. Requires close interactions with team associates as well as other functional groups.
- Performs and reviews experiments of other associates. Reviews, analyzes data and prepares it for final reporting following full quality documentation and procedures.
- Responsible for developing and writing controlled documents, SOPs, and maintaining high quality standards meeting ISO and GMP standards. Generation of production documents with specifications for GMP manufacture.
- Developing, formulating and executing Assay Validation and Instrument Validation protocols and procedures
- Responsible for interfacing with customers including active participation in discussions relating to the development of assays and products aimed at customer-specific applications. Trouble shooting in user-lab conditions and developing alternate strategies to an emerging problem
- Accountable for ensuring customer satisfaction by delivering quality end-product, while adhering to aggressive time lines and working with multiple functional groups like manufacturing, QA, Instrumentation etc.
- Maintains on-going communications and works closely with Operations, Sales and Marketing with the goal of increasing the productivity. Monitors and evaluates new emerging technologies within and outside the company to improve products and processes..
- Follows BD Biosciences Environmental, Health and Safety (EH&S) policies and procedures. May provide recommendations on maintaining the safety of the work environment.
- Promotes a safe work environment. Takes responsibility for safety in immediate work area. Participates in EH&S programs.
- Notifies supervisors of all observed hazardous conditions or unsafe work practices.
- Performs other related duties and assignments as required.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Minimum 3 years in assay and/or product development for clinical multicolor flow cytometry applications required
- Work experience in flow cytometry laboratory with expertise in running flow cytometers including validation protocols is preferred
- Thorough technical and operational knowledge of current generation of flow cytometers and associated software applications.
- Demonstrated ability to plan the development and production of multi component products including ability to work with various functional groups
- Proficiency in cell culture techniques, cellular assays, immunoassays is required.
- A demonstrated ability to develop quality assays and products for clinical reference lab leading to high customer satisfaction is required.
- Experience in data management, including analysis and uploading of data in various web portals.
- Documentation skills with attention to detail in writing professional reports, SOPs and Validation documents is required.
- Experience in customer interactions and carrying out on-site technical demonstrations with emphasis on troubleshooting is highly desirable. Ability to properly document of such events is required
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, Power point, Visio and business management software is expected.
- A demonstrated ability maintaining current knowledge of recent scientific and technical developments in the field is expected.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelors or Masters degree in Immunology or Cell Biology w/10 years of experience
- Typically requires a Ph.D. with a minimum 3 years of related laboratory and technical experience in a production environment.
- Prior experience in a clinical flow cytometry laboratory is preferred.
Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status.
Primary Work LocationUSA CA - San Diego (BDB)
Recommendto a friend
"Purpose driven company where associates work every day to make healthcare better. A lot of great initiatives going on to make BD the best MedTech company in the world."
Anonymous, Franklin Lakes, NJ