Director R&D – Released Product Engineering (RPE)
Job Description SummaryWe are the makers of possible
BD is one of the largest global medical technology companies in the world. Advancing the world of health™ is our Purpose, and it’s no small feat. It takes the imagination and passion of all of us—from design and engineering to the manufacturing and marketing of our billions of MedTech products per year—to look at the impossible and find transformative solutions that turn dreams into possibilities.
We believe that the human element, across our global teams, is what allows us to continually evolve. Join us and discover an environment in which you’ll be supported to learn, grow and become your best self. Become a maker of possible with us.
As the Director R&D – Released Product Engineering (RPE), you will manage sustaining activities across a complex Infusion Platform(s) within our MMS R&D Global organization. As a key strategic and technical leader, you will lead a number of teams that drive business growth, primarily through sustaining products, while collaborating with peer leaders across the organization. Work will include managing on-market product activity that drive sustainable growth within the MMS Infusion business.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Technical leader for multiple complex medical device platforms and important sub-projects with responsibilities for large elements of the product development effort in the post market environment.
- Provide technical leadership, to direct and in-direct reports, with the ability to deep dive into technical issues.
- Implement best-in-class R&D tools, processes & standards within the development platform.
- Lead in the development of project plans and timelines for product delivery. Create Product Development goals which are linked with business priorities and traced to individual engineering responsibilities.
- Drive and lead innovative problem resolution at an accelerated pace.
- Work in a development environment which supports both organic and inorganic development opportunities
- Lead and work with Functional Leaders to assign engineering disciplines to achieve post market portfolio goals. Work with other leaders to mentor, develop and performance manage talent assigned to post market activities.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor of Science in an engineering field (Mechanical, Systems, Physics, Electrical, Biomedical, Software) required. Master's degree or PhD preferred.
- At least 10 years of growing responsibility in R & D technical engineering roles or a PhD in a relevant engineering discipline with 3-5 years of industry experience, with extensive, successful experience in product development and a clear understanding of quality management systems.
- Regulated industry experience (FDA, Automotive, Industrial, etc.)
- Familiarity with Mechatronics Analysis & Design.
- Experience leading a team of multi-disciplinary engineers in both pre and post market development activities
- Project management experience for complex systems.
- Experience in a proven design process (e.g. DFSS) over multiple programs.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to lead complex programs which are developed in partnership with a matrixed organization and external technical suppliers.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills required. Experience leading global teams is a strong plus.
- Ability to mentor and develop talent for current and future needs and will positively align talent decisions to strategic plans.
- Demonstrated analytical, decision making, prioritization and problem-solving skills.
- Strong business acuity and customer centricity.
Why Join Us?
A career at BD means being part of a team that values your opinions and contributions and that encourages you to bring your authentic self to work. It’s also a place where we help each other be great, we do what’s right, we hold each other accountable, and learn and improve every day.
You will learn and work alongside inspirational leaders and colleagues who are equally passionate and committed to fostering an inclusive, growth-centered, and rewarding culture. You will have the opportunity to help shape the trajectory of BD while leaving a legacy at the same time. And through the organization’s investment in BD University, you will continually level up your tech skills and expertise.
To find purpose in the possibilities, we need people who can see the bigger picture, who understand the human story that underpins everything we do. We welcome people with the imagination and drive to help us reinvent the future of health. At BD, you’ll discover a culture in which you can learn, grow and thrive. And find satisfaction in doing your part to make the world a better place.
To learn more about BD visit https://bd.com/careers
Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status, or any other protected status.
Primary Work LocationUSA CA - San Diego TC Bldg C&D
At BD, we are strongly committed to investing in our associates—their well-being and development, and in providing rewards and recognition opportunities that promote a performance-based culture. We demonstrate this commitment by offering a valuable, competitive package of compensation and benefits programs which you can learn more about on our Careers Site under Our Commitment to You.
Salary ranges have been implemented to reward associates fairly and competitively, as well as to support recognition of associates’ progress, ranging from entry level to experts in their field, and talent mobility. There are many factors, such as location, that contribute to the range displayed. The salary offered to a successful candidate is based on experience, education, skills, and actual work location. Salary ranges may vary for Field-based and Remote roles.
Salary Range Information$179,200.00 - $322,500.00
Recommendto a friend
"Purpose driven company where associates work every day to make healthcare better. A lot of great initiatives going on to make BD the best MedTech company in the world."
Anonymous, Franklin Lakes, NJ