R&D Lab Supervisor, Molecular POC
Job Description SummaryBD is seeking an R&D Lab Supervisor to work within a team that develops new point-of-care assays for human in vitro diagnostic use. The R&D Lab Supervisor supports various assay development teams and is principally responsible for maintaining equipment, supplies, and samples across several R&D laboratories within the San Diego area. The R&D Lab Supervisor works in collaboration with various project scientists, as well as cross-functionally with Quality Assurance and Regulatory Affairs. Works under the direction of an R&D Manager or R&D Staff Scientist.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Proactively monitors and reorders lab supplies across multiple R&D sites within the San Diego area
- Initiates and maintains purchasing orders and relationships with various vendors
- Provides domestic and international shipping support, and collaborates with internal Trade Specialists to help mitigate Customs import/export delays as needed
- Leads laboratory instrumentation, including routine maintenance, on-site installations, consumable supply, and access signup sheets
- Monitors and owns the R&D refrigerator/freezer and incubator fleets
- Ensures temperature data loggers are active and that unit temperatures are within tolerances
- Generates and maintains trending reports
- Responds to and leads out-of-specification alarms
- Handles storage and inventory of human clinical specimens from various 3rd party suppliers
- Provides logistical support for internal associate sample collection programs, and maintains sample inventory logs
- Helps to establish program-specific training (onboarding, safety, etc.), in collaboration with Quality Assurance
- Attends weekly R&D project meetings, and helps to co-review laboratory notebooks as needed
- Serves as the R&D Safety Officer, and works with the Biosafety team to ensure all labs and SOPs are compliant
- Provides FDA / ISO audit support and ensures R&D laboratories are aligned with all applicable policies and regulations
- Takes a proactive approach to ensuring that anticipated needs will be met and issues avoided
Knowledge and Skills:
- Excellent time-management skills; works well independently and is meticulous.
- Works well in a fast-paced, environment with shared responsibilities
- Has a general understanding of common scientific instrumentation, reagents, and equipment used in molecular biology
- Knowledge of Good Laboratory Practices (GLP) and current Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMP)
Education and Experience:
- Minimum of BS or BA degree in Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, or related subject area. Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of 2 years of relevant academic, clinical, or industry lab work required.
- Experience in diagnostic product development under Design Control is helpful
Why join us?
A career at BD means joining a team that values your points of view and contributions and that encourages you to bring your authentic self to work. Here our associates can fulfill their life’s purpose through the work that they do every day.
You will learn and work alongside inspirational leaders and colleagues who are equally hardworking and committed to encouraging a broad, growth-centered, and exciting work environment. Our Total Rewards program — which includes competitive pay, benefits, continuous learning, recognition, career growth, and life balance components — is crafted to support the varying needs of our diverse and global associates.
To learn more about BD visit https://jobs.bd.com/
Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status, or any other protected status.
Primary Work LocationUSA CA - San Diego (Diagnostic Sys.)
Recommendto a friend
"Purpose driven company where associates work every day to make healthcare better. A lot of great initiatives going on to make BD the best MedTech company in the world."
Anonymous, Franklin Lakes, NJ