Senior Scientist I-Automation/Assay Development Scientist
Job Description Summary
This is a critical role within the Research and Development Team. The successful candidate will be responsible for contributing to the development of automation solutions for the development and testing of flow cytometry reagents. With a focus on bench science, this individual will work across multiple teams and be primarily responsible working with team members to implement and maintain sustainable automation solutions. The position requires extensive hands-on experience with automation (e.g., Hamilton or other liquid handlers) and assay development as well as an understanding of immunology and/or chemistry. This position also requires an ability to think proactively and spearhead process improvements while also seeking and evaluating new technologies to apply to current work streams.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Working with team members to research, implement, and maintain automation solutions (e.g., liquid handlers and associated robotics)
- Working with vendors to implement hardware integration
- Interfacing with software developers to develop data management solutions
- Day-to-day problem solving and cross-functional team-based activities to ensure that daily operations and timelines are met
- Involvement with scheduling, operational and maintenance duties required within the laboratory
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Experience with implementing and maintaining automation solutions inclusive of systems integration and verification
- Previous experience programming Hamilton Robotics instrumentation (Venus software) is preferable.
- Experience and/or knowledge of scheduling software
- Assay development
- Knowledge of basic scientific principles in biology and chemistry and/or experience working closely with scientists to automate biological or chemical processes
- Database management/data science experience is an asset (e.g., Power BI)
- Ability to program in languages such as R or Python preferred
- Documentation of experiments, writing validation reports (inclusive of statistical analysis), and SOP generation
- Flow Cytometry understanding/experience preferred
- 3D printing experience
- Self-motivated with effective analytical and problem-solving skills
- Flexible, patient team player with good communication skills and experience working cross-functionally.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in engineering, molecular biology, immunology, or related scientific discipline.
- PhD with a minimum of 2 years of laboratory experience in addition to PhD studies strongly preferred.
- Minimum of 6 years of laboratory experience required.
Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status, or any other protected status.
Primary Work LocationUSA CA - San Diego (BDB)
Recommendto a friend
"Purpose driven company where associates work every day to make healthcare better. A lot of great initiatives going on to make BD the best MedTech company in the world."
Anonymous, Franklin Lakes, NJ