Senior Scientist I
Job Description SummaryThe successful candidate is responsible for the development and evaluation of new reagents and enhancements to existing reagents; Recommends design direction and methodology for reagent components. Uses independent judgment to adapt and modify standard reagent development techniques to solve difficult reagent challenges; Operates with high proficiency in prioritizing workload for team members, assignment of testing, reviewing data, reporting results and communicating with other departments to coordinate routine work; Independently takes lead on troubleshooting and make corrective recommendations for others within team and participates and coordinates new product testing and documentation.
The individual is also responsible for routine, accurate and timely testing of samples according to standard protocols and operating procedures; Executes experiments independently and evaluates, discusses, presents and explains material of moderate to high complexity; Writes and reviews protocols; Works under general direction, but independently determines and defines approach to solutions; Will be relied on to exercise sound judgment and make decisions within broadly defined procedures and practices.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for assessing feasibility and viability of new reagent systems.
- Searches, Investigates, and supports development of new methods and technologies.
- Designs and performs experiments to evaluate and optimize new reagent formulations and assay methods using some creative solutions.
- Prepares protocols, technical reports, and summaries.
- Tabulates and analyzes experimental data of moderate to high complexity.
- Presents data at group meetings and Technical Reviews. May present data at national scientific meetings.
- May serve as the technical lead scientist on a project. Provides problem solving capabilities to difficult problems.
- Contributes to the completion of milestones associated with specific projects. Failure to achieve results or erroneous decisions may cause delays in program schedules.
- Develops knowledge of BDB Cell Analysis products through training, use and competitor analysis.
- Continues pursuit of cell analysis knowledge through seminars and webinars.
- May provide training and mentoring to junior staff.
- Participates in functional and cross-functional training to advance technical capabilities.
- Participates in training on regulatory issues affecting reagent development. Brings regulatory compliance questions/issues to the attention of supervisor.
- Promotes a safe work environment. Offers recommendations on maintaining the safety of the work environment. Participates in Environmental Health & Safety programs. Participates in addressing corrective actions whenever a hazard is identified. Notifies supervisor of all observed unsafe work practices.
- Works under general supervision with minimal supervision.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- General knowledge of Immunology, Cell Biology or a related discipline.
- Requires experience designing, performing, and analyzing flow cytometry experiments, preferably on BD flow cytometers (LSRII, LSR Fortessa, Canto, Aria).
- Desired software skills: BD FACS Diva, FlowJo, FCS Express, and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Effective interpersonal skills, must be able to work in a cross-functional team-oriented environment to achieve organizational goals.
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
- Effective interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to follow established policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to keep neat, accurate, and complete records.
- Demonstrated ability to interpret and present data of moderate to high complexity.
- Effective analytical and problem-solving skills.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Ph.D. in Immunology (or a related life science discipline) with a minimum of 2 years of laboratory experience in addition to PhD studies preferred; Or MS or Bachelor’s degree with minimum 8-10 years industry or research laboratory or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of 4 years of experience operating a flow cytometer.
- Experience with Immunohistochemistry is a plus.
Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status, or any other protected status.
Primary Work LocationUSA CA - San Diego (BDB)
Recommendto a friend
"Purpose driven company where associates work every day to make healthcare better. A lot of great initiatives going on to make BD the best MedTech company in the world."
Anonymous, Franklin Lakes, NJ