Be part of something bigger at BD. Here, you’ll join a driven, agile engineering team working in a startup-like environment that has the backing and resources of a Fortune 500 company. In engineering, you could be involved in everything from operations, production and construction to information technology and maintenance environments, all while analyzing and developing solutions to further our engineering capabilities. You’ll use your talent and track record of solving complex problems to achieve one singular goal: advancing the world of health™. At BD, you can make a true difference of one.
Job Description Summary
BD is one of the largest global medical technology companies in the world and is advancing the world of health by improving medical discovery, diagnostics, and the delivery of care. We have over 65,000 employees and a presence in virtually every country around the world to address some of the most challenging global health issues.
BD Medical is among the world's leading suppliers of medical devices and a leading innovator in injection- and infusion-based drug delivery. We’re focused on providing innovative solutions to reduce the spread of infection, enhance diabetes treatment and advance drug delivery. With our technical capabilities, the Medication Management Solutions (MMS) team can manage multiple systems and our operational capabilities enable us to have medications available when and where needed, reducing inefficiency and waste for nursing and pharmacy teams.
Our MMS Pyxis business is seeking a highly motivated, self-directed and experienced Senior Manager of Software Engineering to lead the Pyxis Vanguard Logistics Platform software team. Leveraging their strengths as a servant leader and proven track record, leading distributed teams to predictably deliver valuable customer solutions to market.
- Develops Innovation strategies, processes, and best practices by leading internal technical teams; partnering with cross-functional teams across the business; developing assessments of key opportunities; documenting project scopes; developing long-range plans and project timelines; communicating with and influencing decision-makers and executives within the organization; and resolving technology differences across teams through informed discussions.
- Utilizes industry research to improve the BD Pyxis technology environment by analyzing industry best practices; benchmarking industry against internal processes and solutions; researching or influencing future industry solutions for fit with internal needs; and defining software development guidelines, standards, and processes.
- Leads and participates in medium- to large-scale, complex, cross-functional projects by reviewing project requirements; translating requirements into technical solutions; gathering requested information (for example, design documents, product requirements, wire frames); writing and developing code; conducting unit testing; communicating status and issues to team members and stakeholders; collaborating with project and cross functional teams; troubleshooting open issues and bug-fixes; enhancing design to prevent reoccurrences of defects; ensuring on-time delivery to market of incremental value; interacting with project manager to provide input on project plan; ensuring budget is leveraged to ensure optimal balance of product development team; and providing leadership to the project team.
- Leads the work of other small groups of six to ten engineers, including offshore associates, for assigned engineering projects by providing pertinent documents, direction, and examples; identifying short- and long- term solutions and timeline; reviewing and approving proposed solutions; implementing new architectural patterns; and performing design and code reviews of changes.
- Troubleshoots business and production issues by reviewing and analyzing information (for example, issue, impact, criticality, possible root cause); engaging support teams to assist in the resolution of issues; formulating an action plan; directing actions as designated in the plan; interpreting the results to determine further action; performs root cause analysis to prevent future occurrence of issues; and completing online documentation.
- Supports business objectives by collaborating with business partners to identify opportunities; addressing high-priority initiatives (for example, business strategy, technical feasibility, implementation alternatives); identifying short- and long-term solutions; and leading cross-functional partnership.
- Supports the adoption of Agile practices; establish and measures overall predictability of development team as a whole; partners with Scrum Master(s) and MMS Agile coach to drive alignment on Agile transformation and continuous improvement initiatives.
- Leads the discovery phase of medium to large projects to come up with high level design by partnering with the product management, Web Operations, project management, business, and user experience teams; obtaining cross-function approvals; driving proof-of-concept; and implementing prototypes to validate ideas. Drives the execution of multiple business plans and projects by identifying customer and operational needs; developing and communicating business plans and priorities; removing barriers and obstacles that impact performance; providing resources; identifying performance standards; measuring progress and adjusting performance accordingly; developing contingency plans; and demonstrating adaptability and supporting continuous learning.
- Provides supervision and development opportunities for associates and training; mentoring; assigning duties; building a team-based work environment; establishing performance expectations and conducting regular performance evaluations; providing recognition and rewards; coaching for success and improvement; and ensuring diversity awareness.
- Promotes and supports company policies, procedures, mission, values, and standards of ethics and integrity by training and providing direction to others in their use and application; ensuring compliance with them; and utilizing and supporting an Open-Door Policy. Ensures business needs are being met by evaluating the ongoing effectiveness of current plans, programs, and initiatives; consulting with business partners, managers, co-workers, or other key stakeholders; soliciting, evaluating, and applying suggestions for improving efficiency and cost-effectiveness; and participating in and supporting community outreach events.
- 6+ years of experience in various elements of full stack software development –desktop, mobile, web front end, back end, and hands-on coding experience
- Deep understanding of desktop, mobile and web platforms
- Hands-on experience building scalable backend systems and platforms
- Understanding of the Pharmacy inventory management domain
- Experience building and retaining high performance teams and leading global software engineering product teams
- Proven ability to earn respect, trust, and influence from people you work with and to mentor top technical talent
- Technical leadership experience in design, implementation, and support of core database services that are highly reliable, flexible, and scalable
- BS/MS in information technology, computer science or a related engineering discipline, or equivalent experience
- Bachelor of Science and 6 years' experience in software engineering OR
- Master of Science and 3 years' experience in software engineering
Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status, or any other protected status.
Primary Work LocationUSA CA - San Diego TC Bldg C&D
What makes a successful Engineer Professional at BD? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Team player
Advancing the world of health™
BD is one of the largest global medical technology companies in the world and is advancing the world of health™ by improving medical discovery, diagnostics and the delivery of care. BD helps customers enhance outcomes, lower costs, increase efficiencies, improve safety and expand access to health care.
As a new employee what I like most about BD are the many learning and professional developmental opportunities for growth offered. It is good to know that there are so many resources to choose from.
Since joining BD, I really have liked the people I work with on a daily basis and the collaboration towards common goals.
Senior Program Manager
BD is full of passionate, loyal, and driven people that have a common goal of advancing healthcare without sacrificing quality or service.