Sr Program Manager
Job Description Summary
We are recruiting for a highly driven cross-functional leader with confirmed product development and technical leadership to drive new initiatives strategic to the Medication Management Solutions (MMS) business. The Sr Program Manager has overall accountability for the success of an MMS solution program comprised of multiple hardware, software, and enterprise software projects. This position leads the design of the enterprise software product, planning of the development effort, and drives the team’s efforts in execution of all phases through commercial launch.
In this role, you will handle key timelines, dependencies, and Core Team resources across projects and business platforms. You will be accountable to ensure your program is aligned across business scope and achievements. You will also be accountable to ensure your program/project teams are efficient, knowledgeable, and focused in delivering the hardware and software solutions on time and on budget through BD’s Global Product Development System (GPDS – phase gate process). You will also be accountable to effectively communicate program/project update to cross functional management team.
- In charge of medium-large scale, moderate to high complexity new product development programs with sub-projects that may be related to a technical or business challenge OR in charge of planning & leading execution of a roadmap of products.
- Accountable for overall solution/products’ commercial success.
- Accountable for developing and ensuring compliance with project budget including capital expenditure, expenses, and headcount.
- Develop detailed program plans and lead all aspects of execution
- Develop detailed risk registers and handle risk mitigation plans
- Lead product development utilizing a multitude of processes such as BD’s Global Product Development System, Voice of the Customer/Business, Project Management, and Agile.
- Lead, direct, coach, and mentor Core Team members to maximize project success. Provide important and significant feedback to functional leaders regarding the performance of Core Team members that is considered in annual performance evaluations.
- Work with functional leaders to ensure the appropriate Core Team resources are committed to the projects and chip in to the expected levels.
- Ensure alignment of product value proposition, program scope, and strategic business objectives, lead program planning process ensuring requirements are clear and driven by customer need and experience, represent the customer and market viewpoint when leading the team to make technical and program decisions.
- Lead the team to prepare for Phase Gate and other Go/No-Go decisions by executive leadership, ensuring that decisions are informed by a balanced and clearly articulated representation of the relevant data.
- Leads cross-functional teams through problem resolution including root cause analysis and corrective action
- Ensure effective and efficient regular formal and informal communications with the Core Teams using a variety of tools and channels.
- Communicates program updates to functional management and executive leadership.
- Brings regulatory compliance and quality management questions/issues to the attention of management.
- Facilitate functional and commercial excellence reviews, constructively challenging the team and the organization to rethink assumptions and approach headwinds in new ways
- Ensures compliance with the company's global development process.
- Demonstrates program management best practices and chips in to improving the product development process.
- Develops innovative solutions to sophisticated business, programmatic or technical problems that require the regular use of resourcefulness and creativity.
- Participates in business & technical assessments and influences development decisions.
- Actively promote continuous learning to improve skills of self and the group.
- Ensure business and technical lessons are reviewed, learned, and disseminated.
- Independently resolves and pursues courses of action vital to acquire desired results.
- Performs other related duties and assignments as the need arises.
- Provide direct supervision to program managers and project managers to effectively drive functional excellence.
- Set performance goals and provide mentorship to align with larger company objectives.
- Conduct performance reviews, empower team members, and build strategies to boost productivity.
- Requires a highly motivated, complex, and customer-centric leader who thrives in a complicated and changing environment.
- Experience in bringing enterprise enabled hardware solutions with a high degree of configurable to market.
- Experience leading software development teams, encompassing device automation, sophisticated workflows, hardware station software, and Enterprise Software solutions.
- Confirmed expertise in developing and moving existing products to new IT platforms, as well as embracing a platform/product development paradigm.
- Experience in waterfall and agile methodologies and shown success in working with teams that are transitioning across development methodologies.
- A consistent track record of executing of all aspects of product development including requirements, design, development, verification and validation as well as other aspects (e.g. performance, security, usability, scalability, install-ability, supportability) relevant to the final commercialized product
- Experience leading development teams using Microsoft technologies (.NET, C++, C#, SQL, Windows, etc.), agile development practices, and cloud deployment experience is required.
- Demonstrated ability to reliably influence people and teams at all levels without direct authority.
- Known to work building employee engagement; creating, presenting, and developing understanding of a shared vision; change leadership skills.
- Demonstrated analytical, decision making, prioritization and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to manage conflicts and ambiguity to drive clarity and deliver results.
- Demonstrates a high level of discernment integrated across finance, marketing, sales, service, R&D, and manufacturing.
- Ability to champion and execute customer-centric approaches, ideas, methods, and processes.
- Experience navigating self and teams in cross-functional environments and/or matrix organizations.
- Requires polished presentation skills to executive leadership level. Represents self and program with an executive presence. Must possess exceptional written and oral communication skills.
Demonstrates mastery of the following competency areas:
- Agile Program Management – ability to develop predictable schedules with effective tools for tracking and reporting on progress
- Risk Planning – ability to develop and lead risk management plans
- Project & Cross-Functional Leadership - possesses the skills, knowledge, and aptitude to engage, influence, and advise all functions involved in the development of the assigned product.
- Optimized Execution and Performance - advances long-term growth while consistently meeting or exceeding near-term business performance expectations.
- Managerial - ability to handle product development teams optimally.
- Innovative Ideas & Approaches - ability to generate novel ideas for defining, implementing, and bringing to market new solutions.
- Systems-Thinking Approach – Optimally communicates with hardware, software and systems engineers maximizing Model-Based Systems Engineering techniques.
- Business Plan Development – ability to develop and validate new business opportunities. Deeply understand, influence, and manage expedient valuation of strategic hypothesis and assumptions.
- Personal Effectiveness - ability to work effectively within the project team and the cross-functional organization.
- Commercial Excellence - ability to effectively apply business, financial and commercial knowledge to successfully deliver the product development outcomes
- DoD and Regulatory Compliance Experience – Ability to navigate Department of Defense and other government security regulations; effectively translates security requirements to IT and manufacturing for compliance.
Education and Experience:
- Requires a bachelor’s degree in a technical field and a minimum of 8-10 years proven experience in new product development program management of successful cross-functional leadership in a matrix organization. Have served as a team member for a minimum of 5-7 years in the delivery of a sophisticated systems and solutions.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of direct supervisory experience.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of management of sophisticated systems engineering efforts
- Minimum of 3-5 years of program management experience
- MBA or MS strongly preferred
- Experience in Med Tech or other highly technical industries developing electromechanical / software systems is preferred
- Experience in other Regulated Industries
Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer! We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status, or any other protected status!
Primary Work LocationUSA CA - San Diego TC Bldg C&D
Recommendto a friend
"Purpose driven company where associates work every day to make healthcare better. A lot of great initiatives going on to make BD the best MedTech company in the world."
Anonymous, Franklin Lakes, NJ