Be part of something bigger at BD. Here, you’ll join a driven, agile engineering team working in a startup-like environment that has the backing and resources of a Fortune 500 company. In engineering, you could be involved in everything from operations, production and construction to information technology and maintenance environments, all while analyzing and developing solutions to further our engineering capabilities. You’ll use your talent and track record of solving complex problems to achieve one singular goal: advancing the world of health™. At BD, you can make a true difference of one.
Job Description Summary
Be part of something bigger!
BD is one of the largest global medical technology companies in the world and is advancing the world of health by improving medical discovery, diagnostics and the delivery of care. We have over 65,000 employees and a presence in virtually every country around the world to address some of the most challenging global health issues.
About the role:
The Becton Dickinson Software Technology Solutions Division (STS) is looking for a hands-on, Sr Staff Engineer who will be responsible for mapping complete data systems from conceptual enterprise model to specific domain models. The position requires extensive hands-on experience working with different business SMEs and technical peers to uncover requirements and real-world concepts and translate them into robust data models that development teams can build on. Opportunity to work remotely for the ideal candidate.
Key responsibilities include:
- Document Enterprise Data flows, Mapping complete data systems from conceptual enterprise model to specific domain models
- Design conceptual, logical, and physical data models that support business objectives
- Create and own the enterprise meta data strategy
- Propose architecture that enables integration of disparate enterprise data assets
- Lead cross functional design sessions with functional experts to understand and document the domain requirements and pain points
- Lead efforts to research, identify, and profile data sources to uncover data anomalies and potential data quality concerns
- Develop and document the data modeling standards, best practices, and evangelize them across department
- Drive long-term data architecture roadmaps in alignment with corporate strategic objectives
- Conduct data model reviews to ensure data related standards and best practices are met
- Proactively educate others on data management concepts such as data governance, master data management, data warehousing, big data, reporting, data quality, and database performance
- Extensive knowledge of modeling tools (ER/Studio, erwin etc.) and techniques (normalization, star schemas).
- Experience in data modeling for big data and establishing data integration between disparate systems
- Expertise in industry standard patterns and practices for data modeling, process modeling, and metadata management
- Strong SQL skills and understanding of ETL, ELT processes.
- Experience with a Data Integration/Transformation tools (dbt, ssis, talend etc.)
- Strong analytical / debugging / troubleshooting skills.
- Familiar with master data management and data stewardship
- Programming experience is a plus - Python / Spark etc
- Experience in the healthcare industry, a plus
- Collaborative and informative mindset is a must!
Education and experience required
- Bachelors or Masters in Computer Science, Information Systems, an engineering discipline or a combination of equivalent education and relevant experience.
- 10+ years of related experience in developing data solutions and models that support data lifecycle.
Click on Apply if this sounds like you!
Why join us?
A career at BD means being part of a team that values your opinions and contributions and that empowers you to bring your authentic self to work. Here our associates can fulfill their life’s purpose through the work that they do every day.
You will learn and work alongside inspirational leaders and colleagues who are equally passionate and committed to fostering an inclusive, growth-centered, and rewarding culture. Our Total Rewards program — which includes competitive pay, benefits, continuous learning, recognition, career growth, and life balance components — is designed to support the varying needs of our diverse and global associates.
To learn more about BD visit https://jobs.bd.com/
Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status, or any other protected status.
Primary Work LocationUSA CA - San Diego TC Bldg C&D
What makes a successful Engineer Professional at BD? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Team player
Advancing the world of health™
BD is one of the largest global medical technology companies in the world and is advancing the world of health™ by improving medical discovery, diagnostics and the delivery of care. BD helps customers enhance outcomes, lower costs, increase efficiencies, improve safety and expand access to health care.
As a new employee what I like most about BD are the many learning and professional developmental opportunities for growth offered. It is good to know that there are so many resources to choose from.
Since joining BD, I really have liked the people I work with on a daily basis and the collaboration towards common goals.
Senior Program Manager
BD is full of passionate, loyal, and driven people that have a common goal of advancing healthcare without sacrificing quality or service.