Be part of something bigger at BD. Here, you’ll join a driven, agile engineering team working in a startup-like environment that has the backing and resources of a Fortune 500 company. In engineering, you could be involved in everything from operations, production and construction to information technology and maintenance environments, all while analyzing and developing solutions to further our engineering capabilities. You’ll use your talent and track record of solving complex problems to achieve one singular goal: advancing the world of health™. At BD, you can make a true difference of one.
Job Description Summary
Who we are
BD is one of the largest global medical technology companies in the world and is advancing the world of health by improving medical discovery, diagnostics and the delivery of care. The company supports the heroes on the frontlines of health care by developing innovative technology, services and solutions that help advance both clinical therapy for patients and clinical process for health care providers. BD and its 65,000 employees have a passion and commitment to help enhance the safety and efficiency of clinicians' care delivery process, enable laboratory scientists to accurately detect disease and advance researchers' capabilities to develop the next generation of diagnostics and therapeutics. BD has a presence in virtually every country and partners with organizations around the world to address some of the most challenging global health issues. By working in close collaboration with customers, BD can help enhance outcomes, lower costs, increase efficiencies, improve safety and expand access to health care.
BD Core Values
We do what is right
We thrive on innovation and demand quality
We are all accountable
We learn and improve every day
We help each other be great
BD Leadership Commitments and Values
Be bold and strategic
Remove obstacles and empower others
Deliver results that matter
Debate and decide, then commit and go
Win as one BD
Have the courage to iterate, try new things and embrace change
The Staff Reliability Engineer is responsible for providing Reliability Engineering support to new product development programs, sustaining engineering programs, failure investigations, and the analysis of field reliability data through the application of Reliability engineering and other engineering skills for medical devices. This person may handle projects and tasks, from product inception through product launch and maintenance and play an active role in the processes to ensure products meet quality standards consistent with both Corporate and unit policies, while meeting all design control and other regulatory requirements.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties:
• Develop and execute Reliability Plans for new product development projects. This includes establishing the reliability plan deliverables and overseeing execution of plan deliverables. Reliability plan deliverables may include establishing reliability metrics/targets, performing FMEAs and/or Fault Trees, and creating reliability test plan strategies including reliability demonstration tests and reliability growth tests.
• Provide reliability analysis for fielded products. This includes Weibull analysis and non-parametric methods to understand time to failure
• Provide technical expertise to failure investigations.
• Develop and manage the execution of reliability test plans to assess system or subsystem reliability
• Provide critical review of reliability deliverables
Scope of Responsibility:
• Will complete tasks as assigned by management
• Will work as an individual contributor as part of project team in the areas of new product development, failure investigation of field issues, CAPA remediation activities, etc.
• Contributes to the completion of specific programs and projects.
• Helps to ensure quality conduct of projects, including design, metrics, data summary and interpretation and report generation
Sphere of Influence:
• Works under specific direction.
• Applies engineering skills to failure investigation and problem solving activities.
• Requires a minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering. Mechanical, Electrical or Reliability preferred.
• At least 8 years of relevant experience or a combination of equivalent education and relevant experience.
• Strong attention to detail, problem solving skills
• Expertise with FMEAs, Fault Trees, Analysis of Reliability Test data, Reliability Test Planning
• Mathematic and statistical proficiency
• Technical writing
• Computer skills (MS Excel, MS Word)
Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status, or any other protected status.
Primary Work LocationUSA CA - San Diego TC Bldg C&D
What makes a successful Engineer Professional at BD? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Team player
Advancing the world of health™
BD is one of the largest global medical technology companies in the world and is advancing the world of health™ by improving medical discovery, diagnostics and the delivery of care. BD helps customers enhance outcomes, lower costs, increase efficiencies, improve safety and expand access to health care.
As a new employee what I like most about BD are the many learning and professional developmental opportunities for growth offered. It is good to know that there are so many resources to choose from.
Since joining BD, I really have liked the people I work with on a daily basis and the collaboration towards common goals.
Senior Program Manager
BD is full of passionate, loyal, and driven people that have a common goal of advancing healthcare without sacrificing quality or service.