VP, R&D, Veritor
Job Description Summary
BD is searching for a highly experienced strategic technology leader that can significantly increase BD’s impact with the BD Veritor platform. This position is responsible for leading and guiding the overall research and development of rapid lateral flow assays to be practiced on the BD Veritor.
Key Areas of Focus & Responsibilities
- Working with the Veritor Business Leaders, Integrated Diagnostic Solution R&D leaders, and the Clinical/Medical functional leaders, derive and execute effective (winning) strategy that includes innovative technologies, clinically relevant assay or systems solutions, and leading edge clinically relevant assay and system performance.
- Provide leadership, optimal staffing, and overall management of the San Diego based R&D team. Recruit/Select best in class talent for key assay suites.
- Make and execute capability/capacity and organizational alignment plans and actions to optimally organize the R&D function, ongoing, as project and technology needs emerge and change over time.
- Assess/acquire technologies and skillsets via partners, collaborators, IP licenses, etc. as core/integral components to enhance delivery of critical assays and capabilities across the molecular menu and automated molecular platforms.
- Conduct strategic and technical assessment of external technologies at target companies for partnering and potential acquisitions. Via collaborations, develop/acquire novel technologies through internal/external Research or Technology Development programs.
- Coordinate product development objectives with peer functional leaders, especially in the Medical, Regulatory, Quality, Finance, Manufacturing and Marketing functions.
- The candidate will be able to leverage and nurture (internally/externally acquired) technological knowhow gained through internal capability building, collaborations, KOL relationships, and other leading edge sources to develop and leverage world class capabilities for assay development.
- Advanced degree in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, or Microbiology.
- At least 15 years of applicable managerial experience in R&D management at a suitable leadership level with strong people development and delegation skills; Demonstrated success creating and leading empowered, high-performing teams
- Experience with in vitro diagnostic development and troubleshooting
- Demonstrated success creating environments where Innovation can flourish.
- A history of leveraging technology to bring growth products to market.
- Comprehensive knowledge through experience of related disciplines, capital and operations budgeting, product portfolio management.
- Broad view of new technology
The ideal candidate for this position would possess the following critical competencies:
- Strategic Thinking: The successful candidate must have proven capabilities leading strategic planning efforts within R&D, and contributing to strategic planning efforts at a business unit level. The job requires both strong technical skills and good business acumen – the ability to connect R&D efforts to a broader business strategy.
- Collaboration and Influence Skills: The successful candidate must have demonstrated the ability to work effectively with a wide array of constituencies, including business peers, technical experts throughout the company, and outside partners. He/she must have excellent interpersonal skills, and be able to vary their style effectively to influence people in different situations.
- Change Leadership: The successful candidate must be a proven leader – someone who is able to not only align a team, but to persuade people to think and act differently as the company evolves. He/she will be a strong communicator, able to identify the right “levers” to influence both team members and non-direct reports in order to get results.
- Results Orientation: The successful candidate must have a track record of delivering results. They will have proven they are able to set stretch targets and deliver multiple projects, on time and on budget. They will get the most from their people, and will take steps to make processes more effective and efficient.
- People Development: The successful candidate will be able to attract, develop, and retain a strong team. They will be an effective coach and mentor, using both individual input and leveraging company HR processes to build a strong bench. Proven ability to build, manage and lead globally distributed, large, strategic and/or complex R&D teams. Exceptional change management, leadership, and communication skills. Accomplished leading in matrix organizations.
- Strategic Acumen: Able to translate broad corporate strategies into clear, specific strategy, objectives and plans for the function, business units, and regions; able to influence/drive projects across regions.
- Agility: Able to flex with credibility across a large, diverse portfolio. Able to solve complex, medical safety and engineering related challenges.
- Innovation: Proven success developing and fostering a culture of innovation. A sophisticated thinker and leader who will serve as a catalyst for driving product development forward.
- Results Orientation: Build and develop a culture that drives innovation balanced with accountability with a strong focus on quality and compliance.
- Communication skills: Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Integrity: Possesses unquestioned integrity and strong business ethics. Demonstrates a firm commitment to building best-in-class culture and values. Has reputation and record of achievement to establish trust and credibility with peers, subordinates, collaboration partners, and external constituents.
Primary Work LocationUSA CA - San Diego (Diagnostic Sys.)
Recommendto a friend
"Purpose driven company where associates work every day to make healthcare better. A lot of great initiatives going on to make BD the best MedTech company in the world."
Anonymous, Franklin Lakes, NJ