Assoc Director, Program Management
Job Description Summary
The Associate Director, Program Management is responsible for ensuring the success of critical, multi-year, multi-faceted and complex program(s) within BD Biosciences. Specifically, this position will lead New Product Core teams responsible for requirement definition, product design, development, and commercial launch leveraging industry best practices in cross functional team leadership.
In this exciting and critical role, the successful candidate will manage key timelines, external business partners, cross-functional interdependencies, and Core Team resources across multiple projects and business platforms. He/She will be accountable to ensure programs deliver the target scope and milestones within the allocated resources and budget. He/She will also be accountable to ensure the program/project teams are highly effective in the delivery of required solutions on time and on budget through BD’s Global Product Delivery System.
- Demonstrates program management best practices and contributes to improving the product development process.
- Leads the team to prepare for Phase Gate and other Go/No-Go decisions by executive leadership, ensuring that decisions are informed by a balanced and clearly articulated representation of the relevant data.
- Ensures alignment of product value proposition, program scope, and strategic business objectives.
- Leads program planning process ensuring requirements are clear and driven by customer need and experience.
- Defines, delegates and evaluates the roles, responsibilities, goals and deliverables for core and extended team members.
- Independently determines and pursues courses of action necessary to obtain desired results.
- Communicates program updates to functional management and executive leadership.
- Defines program resource needs and negotiates program resourcing plans.
- Leads key technical design and commercial excellence reviews, constructively challenging the team and the organization to rethink assumptions and approach headwinds in new ways
- Leads cross-functional teams through problem resolution including root cause analysis and corrective action
- Analyzes data and complex situations involving evaluation of tangible variables to programs or collective system of projects.
- Work with functional leaders to ensure the appropriate Core Team resources are committed to the projects and contribute to required performance levels.
- Ensure effective and efficient regular formal and informal communications with the Core Teams using a variety of tools and channels.
- Lead product development utilizing a multitude of processes such as BD’s Global Product Delivery System, Voice of the Customer/Business, Project Management, and Agile.
- Lead, direct, coach, and mentor Core Team members to maximize project success. Provide meaningful and significant feedback to functional leaders regarding the performance of Core Team members that is considered in annual performance evaluations.
- Ensure programs comply with company quality management systems
- Builds high morale and ensure the team commits to goals and objectives by creating a common purpose and direction
Demonstrates mastery of the following competency areas:
- Project & Cross-Functional Leadership - possesses the skills, knowledge and aptitude to engage, influence, and direct all functions involved in the development of the assigned product.
- Managerial - ability to manage product development teams and key external partners effectively.
- Optimized Execution and Performance - advances long-term growth while consistently meeting or exceeding near-term business performance expectations.
- Personal Effectiveness - ability to work effectively within the project team and the cross-functional organization.
- Business Excellence - ability to effectively apply business, financial and commercial knowledge to successfully deliver of the product development outcomes
- Exceptional leadership qualities consistently delivering results. Ability to effectively manage internal and external stakeholders and partners.
- Experience with structured phase-gate product development and portfolio management processes
- Results oriented, analytical thinking with strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to interact with executive leadership, highlight issues and provide options and solutions for resolution
- Ability to deal with ambiguity and resolve complex issues to action-based resolution plans
- Strong project management and meeting management skills capabilities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills across all levels of an organization
- Detailed orientated with the ability to develop strategy.
- Experience in SAP and Product Development systems beneficial
- Expertise in Program Management Software for determination of complex program timelines and resources
- Collaborative and teamwork focused while driving decisions and holding individuals and teams accountable
Education and Experience
- Requires a Bachelor's degree in an technical discipline and a minimum of 10-15 years relevant experience in successful cross-functional leadership within a matrix organization.
- Has served as a Core Team Leader minimum of 5 years in the delivery of complex systems and solutions.
- Experience in technical or science related field
- Experience in medical device industry a distinct advantage
- PMP certification or equivalent required
Primary Work LocationUSA CA - San Jose
Recommendto a friend
"Purpose driven company where associates work every day to make healthcare better. A lot of great initiatives going on to make BD the best MedTech company in the world."
Anonymous, Franklin Lakes, NJ