Director, Human Resources (Hybrid/Flexible Work Model)
Job Description Summary
At BD, we touch the lives of millions of people every single day and our products are used on more than 90% of patients worldwide. In BD Biosciences, we have an exceptional opportunity for an inspirational Director of Human Resources leader who is excited to work with our executive leaders and enable business success. If you want to join an organization that is committed to helping millions of patients have better days, this is the place!
This position provides strategic HR Business Partner leadership and support to the BDB business unit leaders with an emphasis in our R&D and Clinical partner groups. Additionally, partners with members of the WWLT in implementing business plans and executing strategic initiatives and drives organizational design and development, organization effectiveness, and workforce planning. Leads a team of HR professionals and orchestrates the integrated delivery of HR support through the COEs, ASCs and corporate HR functions, while ensuring alignment with business needs and strategic objectives.
This role will influence across the organization and drive strategic thinking across initiatives from concept to planning to execution. The successful candidate will be self-driven and a servant leader who believes that delivery excellence is essential and seeks to elevate the performance of those they partner with. This role reports into the BD Biosciences HR Leader.
HR Business Partner Leadership Responsibilities:
Organizational Effectiveness & Development
- Aligned with business, functional, and HR Strategy, provide strategic HR business partnering support for Client Leaders, work with the respective functional LTs and people leaders to identify and resolve the corresponding business needs, develop, and implement appropriate organizational plans, and build key capabilities required to achieve business objectives.
- Lead and support client groups with organizational capability and capacity analysis and strategic workforce planning, organization design, associate engagement, organizational change initiatives.
- Serve as a trusted advisor to client leaders to support them in carrying out their business and functional plans.
- Demonstrate thought leadership in change and transformation opportunities that drive substantial and continuous improvement into the business. Incorporate change methodology that includes: a business case for change, identification of primary stake holders, process mapping, communications planning, action/transition planning, visioning sessions, conflict resolution, team building, and after-action review assessments.
- Develop & conduct team development/team building strategies both proactively and when necessary to improve team performance.
- Present options to leaders on organizational structure, roles & responsibilities, staffing levels, matrix management, etc.
- Contribute effectively to client strategy discussions and decision making.
- Demonstrate deep understanding of client market spaces including external talent trends, culture, reward systems, and organization models.
- Engage in complex issues where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth knowledge of the team and interpersonal dynamics. Has the ability to model and manipulate data to build an understanding and then communicate findings to LT in a coherent manner.
Talent Management & Acquisition
- Serve as a key leader for implementation of inorganic transformation change efforts while partnering with executive leaders and senior HR colleagues on any organizational development and design efforts.
- Identify opportunities and guide leaders to fill competency gaps through talent acquisition and talent development.
- Consult as a talent advisor, facilitator, and champion to ensure strong succession pipelines for critical roles.
- Partner with Talent Management and Talent Acquisition teams to align top talent to highest priorities while ensuring inclusion and diversity outcomes.
- Participate on the interview team for senior level roles, and counsel hiring leaders/teams in selection process.
- Participate in/facilitate the Performance Management and calibration process for potential and exceptional impact.
- Utilize and partner within our HR organization and our Associate Relations experts to guide leaders to escalate issues of poor performance to AccessHR where required. Please note, HRBPs have strong partners at BD who serve as the leaders to resolution of employee relations issues.
- Consult with clients to understand training and development needs across their functional groups, to identify trends, patterns, etc., and works with the TM COE to present recommendations as part of organizational training needs assessment.
- Provide consultative guidance for compensation and facilitate appropriate compensation reviews
- Work with leadership team members during annual Compensation Planning time to ensure alignment of rewards to performance, and that rewards are used as organizational levers.
- Provides consultation and benchmarking insights for job offers based on strategic need.
Associate Engagement & Relations
- Provide strategic HR advisory support for complex HR issues and activities
- Identify trends and root causes as opportunities to improve organizational/team and associate engagement.
- Actively use data and metrics to drive client engagement and drive accountability for outcomes both with client and the HR organization.
- Monitor and address retention proactively and work closely with AccessHR (employee relations COE) to understand leading and lagging indicators for observed trends.
- Develop/define associate separation strategy & manage severance for group separations in partnership with AccessHR, ASC, Legal, etc.
HR Function Effectiveness
- Serve as the face of HR to client groups and lives ‘one HR’ model.
- Partner with the ASC and AccessHR and consistently meet with both groups to understand trends, discuss escalated items, etc.
- Partner with COEs to design, develop and deploy updated processes or changes
EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION:
- BS/BA degree in Business Administration, HR Management or related field required.
- Advanced degree (MBA/ Masters in HR or equivalent) is preferred.
- Professional of Human Resources (PHR/SPHR) Certification desired.
- Minimum of 10 years professional experience in HR.
- Experience working in mid/large complex environments and matrixed organization is preferred.
- Experience working with other geographies is required.
This is the perfect opportunity for a strong, positive, optimistic team leader with a resilient attitude, and experience solving problems in a pragmatic manner. While this role has one direct report, we seek a team member who is eager to influence and lead through others within the HR function and within our client groups. Our team works hard, while also trying not to take ourselves too seriously. We put an emphasis on well-being, kindness, and humor. We know there is always a patient at the end of what we do – and the work we do is critical to our customers success.
Primary Work LocationUSA CA - San Jose
Recommendto a friend
"Purpose driven company where associates work every day to make healthcare better. A lot of great initiatives going on to make BD the best MedTech company in the world."
Anonymous, Franklin Lakes, NJ