Be part of something bigger at BD. Here, you’ll join a driven, agile engineering team working in a startup-like environment that has the backing and resources of a Fortune 500 company. In engineering, you could be involved in everything from operations, production and construction to information technology and maintenance environments, all while analyzing and developing solutions to further our engineering capabilities. You’ll use your talent and track record of solving complex problems to achieve one singular goal: advancing the world of health™. At BD, you can make a true difference of one.
Job Description SummaryA staff test engineer is responsible for the documentation, design, implementation, qualification, deployment, maintenance, and support of test fixtures used by the BD Operation and contract manufacturers.
Our people make all the difference in our success.
Responsible for creating visionary/technical direction of test development projects, project management; and coordination of junior engineers and technicians. Further responsible for the development, and support of manual and automated test fixtures and test solutions. These test fixture and test solutions are used to support production, feasibility studies, reliability testing, and failure analysis. An engineer will work on problems of diverse technical scopes.
Works with R&D engineers, test technicians, contract manufacturers, and program managers to ensure test fixtures and processes are developed as suited to the application.
The individual is responsible for leading teams to develop test solutions that are automated and scaled to the needs of a product or project. Exercise judgment within broadly defined practices and policies in selecting methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for obtaining results. Acts as an advisor to peers to meet schedules and resolve technical problems. Performs other tasks assigned by management as required.
Responsible for the documentation, design, implementation, qualification, deployment, maintenance, and support of test fixtures used by the BD Operation and contract manufacturers. Manage test development activities with responsibility for results in terms of costs and methods. Perform the activities of test development and test support.
- Translate product designs into testable assemblies and systems.
- Apply advanced automation techniques in support of developing easy-to-use, robust test fixtures that are scalable and modular.
- Stay abreast of industry technology through active training and application.
- Follow quality systems and procedures in support of medical products in a regulated environment.
- Coordinate resolution of technical issues.
- Advance test concepts within the organization and company.
Work in a cross-functional environment with manufacturing engineering, quality, R&D, purchasing, and logistics to ensure our products meet customer requirements. Work with suppliers to develop mechanical fixtures and tools
- Create automation programs in-line with the test methodology.
- Engage early in the design process to assist with design concepts, design reviews, and feasibility studies.
- Supply support to contract manufacturing partners for outsourced test fixtures
- Build and verifies test solutions.
- Ensure technical issues are assessed and resolved. Ensures there is a close loop corrective action in place to ensure closure.
- Implement and validate new test tools.
Create test solution budgets to ensure adequate resources are provided and utilized in the most efficient and cost-effective manner to meet operational objectives. Abide by company policies and procedures. Ensure effective use of material, standards, processes, equipment, and personnel in producing quality test solutions at a reasonable cost using industry-standard tools and applications.
Provide training and coaching for other engineering and technician teams. Create and review team-related SOP's to ensure adequate process control. Keep abreast of the basic requirements for FDA and ISO compliance in the work and comply with those requirements. Participates as required in training on regulatory issues affecting own area of work.
Bring regulatory compliance questions/issues to the attention of management. Follow BDIS Environmental, Health and Safety (EH&S) policies, and procedures. Take responsibility for safety in the immediate work area. Participate in EH&S programs. Notify management of all observed hazardous conditions or unsafe work practices. May provide recommendations on maintaining the safety of the work environment. Perform other related duties and assignments as required.
- 7 -10 years of experience in test development.
- Experience in test fixture development and test automation.
- Experience in LabVIEW programming.
- Experience in the utilizing of the NI hardware modules and systems.
- Ability to read and understand CAD drawings such as schematic capture, PCB layout, and AutoCAD.
- Strong hardware and software troubleshooting skills.
- Effective planning, organizational skills, analytical, technical, and problem-solving skills
- Effective interpersonal skills: presentation and meeting facilitation skills, writing and oral communication skills. Leadership and coaching skills.
- Demonstrate ability to promote teamwork and to motivate exempt and non-exempt associates.
- Effective utilization of Microsoft Office software.
Education & Experience
- Require a BS in engineering or a related science discipline (CSE/EE preferred).
- Experience developing fixtures/hardware/software in support of test solutions;
- Knowledge of and hands-on in functional test development techniques.
- Experience in writing and reviewing test specifications and procedures.
- Experience design test fixtures for high-speed Gb digital and low noise analog PCBs strongly preferred
- Experience in design test fixtures for fluidic and optical subassemblies is a plus.
- Experience in working with and manage vendors and external design partners.
- Experience in working with contract manufacturers (CMs) and be able to provide training and technical support to CMs both onsite and remotely.
- Knowledge of DFT and DFM, PCBA design cycle and test methodologies preferred. LabVIEW certification (CLD) is preferred.
- Knowledge of fluidic and/or optic subassemblies is a plus.
- Knowledge of Object-Oriented Programming (OOP) and Xcontrol preferred.
- Willing to travel moderately (4-5 times per year for 1-2 weeks).
- cGMP familiarity with 21 CFR part 820, medical device manufacturing experience preferred.
- Experience in working in a medical device industry or highly regulatory environment preferred.
- Ability to create and manipulate typical database technologies.
- Project and/or program management experience is a plus
Employment at BD is contingent upon the Company’s receipt of sufficient proof that you are or will be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Consistent with BD’s Workplace Accommodations Policy, requests for accommodation will be considered pursuant to applicable law.
Becton, Dickinson, and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility, or veteran status.
Primary Work LocationUSA CA - San Jose
What makes a successful Engineer Professional at BD? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Team player
Advancing the world of health™
BD is one of the largest global medical technology companies in the world and is advancing the world of health™ by improving medical discovery, diagnostics and the delivery of care. BD helps customers enhance outcomes, lower costs, increase efficiencies, improve safety and expand access to health care.
As a new employee what I like most about BD are the many learning and professional developmental opportunities for growth offered. It is good to know that there are so many resources to choose from.
Since joining BD, I really have liked the people I work with on a daily basis and the collaboration towards common goals.
Senior Program Manager
BD is full of passionate, loyal, and driven people that have a common goal of advancing healthcare without sacrificing quality or service.