Be part of something bigger at BD. Here, you’ll join a driven, agile engineering team working in a startup-like environment that has the backing and resources of a Fortune 500 company. In engineering, you could be involved in everything from operations, production and construction to information technology and maintenance environments, all while analyzing and developing solutions to further our engineering capabilities. You’ll use your talent and track record of solving complex problems to achieve one singular goal: advancing the world of health™. At BD, you can make a true difference of one.
Job Description SummaryThe Manufacturing Engineer II is a key contributor within the Instruments Manufacturing department. The ME II has a project manager responsibility expected to work on problems of small to moderate scope that require good judgment, with little management involvement. The ME II-Project Manager, thus, will lead change, contribute new ideas, and find innovative methods to accomplish goals, expected to have the ability to get things done through people that do not report to them, and will also need to have the ability to work through adverse situations while building and maintaining good personal relationships.
- Key member of and sometimes lead, cross functional project teams in Operations. Major objectives may include: improve manufacturing operational efficiency, optimize product design, qualify replacement components or suppliers, improve product quality, improve customer satisfaction, or reduce manufacturing costs.
- Support the introduction of new products into manufacturing as a member of an NPI program team. Establish processes and procedures, create assembly documentation. Review engineering designs and documentation for completeness, clarity and manufacturability. Evaluate and qualify new suppliers. Train production personnel, oversee the efforts of more junior associates.
- This key position provides hands on support to the manufacturing assembly and test processes for flow cytometry instruments. Must be an adept and experienced problem solver who is able to determine root cause of difficult technical issues. Must be able to implement effective solutions in a timely manner. Issues are typically multi-disciplinary in nature: mechanical, optical, electrical, and fluidic. The ME2-Project Manager will strive to continuously improve processes in order to achieve optimal efficiency for manufacturing operations.
- The M.E. II - Project Manager will perform and document field failure investigations, identify root cause, and participate in corrective and preventative action efforts.
- Work is usually independently performed with general instructions as to the objectives expected; May receive technical guidance on unusual or complex problems and supervisory approval on proposed plans for projects.
- Keeps abreast of the basic requirements for compliance in own area of work and complies with those requirements. Participates as required in training on regulatory issues affecting own area of work. Brings regulatory compliance questions/issues to the attention of management.
- Promotes a safe work environment. May provide recommendations on maintaining the safety of the work environment. Participates in Environmental, Health and Safety programs. Addresses corrective actions whenever a hazard is identified. Notifies supervisor of all observed hazardous conditions or unsafe work practices.
- Provides hands on support to the manufacturing assembly and test processes for instruments.
- Lead cross functional project teams for product transfer/new products. Major objectives may include: designing processes to improve manufacturing operational efficiency, Manufacturing Lean Floor layout, optimize product design, qualify replacement components, improve product quality, improve customer satisfaction, and reduce manufacturing costs.
- Support the introduction of new products into manufacturing. Establish processes and procedures, create assembly documentation. Review engineering designs and documentation for completeness, clarity and manufacturability. Evaluate and qualify new suppliers.
- Perform and document field failure investigations, identify root cause, and participate in corrective and preventative action efforts.
- Work is usually independently performed with general instructions as to the objectives expected; Receives technical guidance on unusual or complex problems and supervisory approval on proposed plans for projects.
- Understand engineering drawings, Bills of Materials, and operational procedures should be able to create ECO and complete ECOs.
- Integrate successful transfer of New Products into San Jose, Manufacturing and lead continuous improvement efforts with cross functional teams.
- Typically requires a BS degree: ME, EE, IE, IT or equivalent
- 4-6 + years experience in a high tech manufacturing environment
- Must be proficient in the use of personal computers: MS Word, Excel, Power Point, MS Project, Visio, Windows
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, must have good interpersonal skills: conflict resolution, negotiation, and time management skills
- Must be able to understand engineering drawings, Bills of Materials, and operational procedures
- Must have experience writing and reviewing Engineering Change Orders
- Must have proven project management experience, lead continuous improvement efforts with cross functional teams
- Experience developing manufacturing processes, writing procedures, and training assembly personnel
- The ability to assess and resolve multiple high visibility problems in a timely manner
- Work with quality and reliability teams to conduct risk analyses, FMEA reviews and able to define critical-to-quality criteria and present test plans for proposed changes or solutions.
- Ability to be effective with minimal direction. Recognizes problems and addresses them without waiting to be instructed to do so
- Familiarity with ISO 9000 standards
- Willingness to travel infrequently
- Proficiency with some of the following applications: Pro-E, AutoCAD, MS Project, MS Access, SAP ERP, PhotoShop.
- Experience resolving technical issues involving lasers, optical components, fluidic systems or digital/analog circuitry.
- Experience supporting some of the following commodities or supplier types: lasers, optical components, fluidic systems, machined parts, sheet metal, cables, PCA’s, plastics, power systems, product packaging, turnkey subcontractors, hardware, labeling
- cGMP familiarity 21 CFR part 820, medical device manufacturing experience
- Experience implementing Demand Flow Technology (DFT) processes
- Experience implementing LEAN manufacturing processes
- 6 Sigma green or black belt
“Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status.”
#LI - ISC
Primary Work LocationUSA CA - San Jose
Work ShiftNA (United States of America)
What makes a successful Engineer Professional at BD? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Team player
Advancing the world of health™
BD is one of the largest global medical technology companies in the world and is advancing the world of health™ by improving medical discovery, diagnostics and the delivery of care. BD helps customers enhance outcomes, lower costs, increase efficiencies, improve safety and expand access to health care.
As a new employee what I like most about BD are the many learning and professional developmental opportunities for growth offered. It is good to know that there are so many resources to choose from.
Since joining BD, I really have liked the people I work with on a daily basis and the collaboration towards common goals.
Senior Program Manager
BD is full of passionate, loyal, and driven people that have a common goal of advancing healthcare without sacrificing quality or service.