Sr Global Product Manager
Job Description Summary
Reporting to the Global Platform Leader for Research Instruments, the Sr Global Product Manager is accountable for the strategic and tactical product management responsibilities for key products within BD Bioscience’s portfolio of Flow Cytometry Research Instruments. The role supports brand marketing activities by: leading the development and execution of product marketing plans to produce maximum sales, growth and profitability; establishing and maintaining a strong competitive position through strategic and tactical identification of marketing opportunities; and developing marketing promotional and communication programs in collaboration with the global marketing team and the regions. In addition, this person will be responsible for elevating the overall strategic thinking of the global and regional marketing teams, defining growth strategies and executing effectively in a shifting and dynamic marketplace.
The role is accountable for marketing work-stream deliverables supporting line extensions and other assigned product development projects; it provides ongoing support of the Global Product Development Process (GPDS) by active engagement in peer reviews of marketing deliverables.
The candidate routinely interfaces with cross functional team resources including: Marketing associates, Finance, Quality, Regulatory, Manufacturing, Medical, R & D and Special Order Research Products (SORP) Group.
- Responsible for the total customer experience including, the strategic and financial performance of their product portfolio. Supports annual planning process to define and communicate global strategic, product development and operational direction for the product solution, and influences multifunctional resources to accomplish business objectives.
- Defines and drives execution of the marketing strategy, product roadmap (including lifecycle management) and priorities for responsible product offering. Develops annual and long term product roadmaps, marketing plans and launch planning in conjunction and consultation with R&D, Special Order Research Products (SORP) Group and operations management team to create robust new product pipeline that meets or exceeds customer expectations.
- Manages all aspects of the global portfolio positioning, pricing and brand strategies
- Accountable for working with global and regional marketing counterparts to develop and execute regional strategies to ensure achievement of financial/ budget expectations; including scientific content, competitor response, tradeshows, campaign tactics, digital channel and sales enablement (training, tools, etc.); and others.
- Accountable for demand management by developing recommendations on product sales forecasts and production inventory issues
- Ability to understand and translate technical capabilities into benefits is crucial to drive revenue growth.
- Develops expertise on customer buying criteria; market segmentation, competition to create strategies to win in the market
- Establishes and maintains a strong competitive position through strategic and tactical identification of marketing opportunities.
- Actively seeks new ways to leverage BD’s Research Solutions portfolio of products and services to create solution based offerings
- Able to generate novel ideas for defining, implementing and bringing to market new products and technologies; ensures that customer perspectives are appropriately incorporated into every aspect of product development
- Works closely with the Special Order Research Products (SORP) and Life Science Research Reagents (LSRR) development teams to provide customer feedback and business strategy that optimizes current offerings and influences the development of next generation instruments and reagents.
- Meets all marketing work-stream deliverables as required in BD Global Product Development Process
- B.S. in a Life Sciences discipline, or equivalent combination of education and experience. MBA and/or Master’s degree, Ph.D. in Immunology or Cell Biology or related scientific discipline highly preferred.
- Must have at least 5 years strategic marketing, product management, or equivalent relevant experience. Preferably in a biotechnology, life sciences or medical device industry. Advanced degrees combined with experience in the technology workflow can be considered as relevant experience.
- Specific understanding and/or experience with flow cytometry is highly preferred.
- Requires a highly motivated, dynamic and customer-oriented leader who thrives in a challenging and changing environment. Easily develops relationships and engagement with KOLs.
- High level of personal effectiveness with the ability to work effectively within and ability to lead a project team and the cross-functional organization
- Experience working in and/or leading teams in cross-functional environments and/or complex matrix organizations
- Substantial applied product and market management experience in multiple disciplines, such as brand management and/ or product development.
- Demonstrated strategic thinking and implementation skills; proven analytical skills with ability to translate data into actionable plans.
- Effective skills in areas of interpersonal, oral and written communication, organization, prioritization and planning, goal setting, analytical and problem solving.
- Results-oriented, capable of managing and driving the completion of multiple competing projects.
- Requires the ability to develop comprehensive business cases with detailed financial analysis.
- Experience presenting to senior level leadership is required.
- Previous experience with Salesforce.com and digital marketing, web and eCommerce preferred.
- Ability to travel up to 30% of the time (domestic & international)
- Experience in identifying market opportunities, market segmentation, competitive analysis, forecasting, pricing strategy, market development and go to market models and strategies.
- Requires a general knowledge of the Life Sciences market as well as the sales, operations, and marketing functions. Scientific and technical knowledge with the ability to develop and review technical product specifications and applications development plans.
Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status, or any other protected status.
Primary Work LocationUSA CA - San Jose
Recommendto a friend
"Purpose driven company where associates work every day to make healthcare better. A lot of great initiatives going on to make BD the best MedTech company in the world."
Anonymous, Franklin Lakes, NJ