Be part of something bigger at BD. Here, you’ll join a driven, agile engineering team working in a startup-like environment that has the backing and resources of a Fortune 500 company. In engineering, you could be involved in everything from operations, production and construction to information technology and maintenance environments, all while analyzing and developing solutions to further our engineering capabilities. You’ll use your talent and track record of solving complex problems to achieve one singular goal: advancing the world of health™. At BD, you can make a true difference of one.
Job Description SummaryWe are recruiting for a highly-driven Senior Optical Engineering position to work with a cross-functional team to develop and sustain Flow Cytometry technologies and corresponding automation systems. The Senior OE will drive technical aspects of projects focusing on complex cell analysis systems and solutions. The candidate will function within a group that acts cross-functionally to define and implement optical engineering solutions within a regulated environment. You will ensure the system requirements are met and the implementation-level requirements are developed and fulfilled. The successful candidate will have an exciting opportunity to contribute to both sustaining and new product development activities to reinforce BD Bioscience’s leadership position in the market.
- Understand the system performance requirement and define and drive optical subsystem requirements accordingly
- Identify design choice both on the optical sub-system and component level
- Prototype designs and perform feasibility characterization
- Develop and execute formal and informal test protocols. Use finding to drive decision-making and iterate on the design
- Utilize engineering modeling tools to develop sub-system models to anticipate and proactively address risks
- Develop test fixture and transfer them to internal or external stakeholder when needed.
- Work with external to ensure sound design choices are made and component requirements are met
- Develop and contribute to FMEA and Risk Analysis
- Communicate plans, decisions, and results with the cross-functional team
- Participate in Design and Technical Reviews to ensure sound decision making is made
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in an Optical Engineering, Physics, or a relevant field
- 3 years minimum experience
- Must have - Hands-on experience with laser systems
- Must have - Hands-on experience free-space optics and optical mounting techniques
- Must have - Hands-on experience with optical sensors
- Must have - Experience with optical engineering modeling tools, like Zemax or CODE V. Experience with engineering tools like Matlab or Python is highly desired
- Must have - Experience with complex Lifescience or Medical Device instrumentation.
- Experience in experimental techniques, statistical analysis & engineering investigation techniques
- Familiar working with external contract design and manufacturing facilities
- 5 years industry experience
- Familiarity with regulations and compliance testing
- Experience with flow-cytometry or similar systems is highly desired
- Experience in a regulated environment
Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong problem-solving and troubleshooting skills
- Must be a self-starter
- Excellent oral, written, and presentation skills
- Ability to work effectively in cross-functional teams
“Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status.”
Primary Work LocationUSA CA - San Jose
What makes a successful Engineer Professional at BD? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Team player
Advancing the world of health™
BD is one of the largest global medical technology companies in the world and is advancing the world of health™ by improving medical discovery, diagnostics and the delivery of care. BD helps customers enhance outcomes, lower costs, increase efficiencies, improve safety and expand access to health care.
As a new employee what I like most about BD are the many learning and professional developmental opportunities for growth offered. It is good to know that there are so many resources to choose from.
Since joining BD, I really have liked the people I work with on a daily basis and the collaboration towards common goals.
Senior Program Manager
BD is full of passionate, loyal, and driven people that have a common goal of advancing healthcare without sacrificing quality or service.